i5 2500 (Non K) , maybe overheating

Go to solution Solved by Gonio,

Clean it, and apply new thermal paste. Also you can have a cooler thats to thight.

But stock coolers suck however. Could check out the Evo 212, what is overall considered a proper budget cooler. If you want a more high end solution we can also recommend something else if you want.

Recently me and my cousin swapped some parts. I gave him my small case and he gave me a retail no name midi tower, pretty old and a decent UEFI motherboard (check signature for the full specs) with an i5 2500 with stock heatsink. My question is why my temps are so high. On idle I'm around 39-43 but when I game it quickly rises to the 80s and if I play for long periods of time (2 or more hours) it climbs up to 98 degrees C. My pc never slow downs , it seems it never thermal throttles, and runs very smoothly on all games I play (Fallout 4 with loads of graphical mods, evil within which is poorly optimised and other games). I am just stressed a little bit cause this CPU has a tdp of 95 watts and climbs up to 98 C  whereas my old shitty AMD phenom II X4 with a whopping tdp of 125 watts even with his stock heatsink rose only to like 67 degrees... I know I should get an aftermarket cooler and I'm looking for it, but 98 is A LOT ... Please help. Specs are on my signature.

Case : Zalman R1 Motherboard : Asus Prime Plus B350  CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2GHZ  RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @2400MHZ (OC) SSD : Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Patriot P200 500GB  HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU : AMD RX 5700XT 8GB  PSU : Corsair CX 550W 

I'm not familiar with what the safe or "normal" operating temps for the Phenom II x4 are but I know many AMD CPUs have a limit of around 65-70c before they are thought to be in an unsafe temp range while many Intel CPUs can get into the 90c range or more before they'll throttle/shutdown.

The 39-43c range for idle and 80~ish c range for gaming is pretty normal for a 2500 on a stock heatsink, though it hitting 98c is a little concerning as it is quite close to its max temp before it'll throttle/shutdown.

How many fans does your machine have?

A single intake and exhaust should be more than enough.

I'd also try grabbing the heatsink and giving it a good wiggle to make sure it is on tight and that one of the legs didn't pop out so the heatsink isn't making solid contact.

I'm pretty sure it's fastened well enough because when I wiggle the heatsink it wonk come off at all. the PC also never shuts down due to thermal throttling... I'm also thinking false readings but it can't be that all temp programs give me false readings.. :/ I might give it a try to fasten it even better soon.

Case : Zalman R1 Motherboard : Asus Prime Plus B350  CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.2GHZ  RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @2400MHZ (OC) SSD : Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Patriot P200 500GB  HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU : AMD RX 5700XT 8GB  PSU : Corsair CX 550W 

1 minute ago, DeathStalkerGR said:

I'm pretty sure it's fastened well enough because when I wiggle the heatsink it wonk come off at all. the PC also never shuts down due to thermal throttling... I'm also thinking false readings but it can't be that all temp programs give me false readings.. :/ I might give it a try to fasten it even better soon.

Have you tried leaving the side panel off?it could be your case isn't shifting heat away fast enough and is turning the insides into a mini oven. cookies anyone?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

then either the pins are not fully through the mobo or a lack of TIM.

stock 2500 voltage should be under 1.25v which isn't a heater voltage and since this was a previous use, should be pretty much the issue.

Also I have 2 fans. One small 80mm intake fan I took apart from an older case and one 120mm fan in the back of the case which barely works, but it does :P it works to like 600-700 RPM max, but I doubt it was designed to be a "low profile" exhaust fan. It's probably failing. Why my PC doesn't shut down when It overheats?

The first thing I'd do is get some fresh thermal paste and some alcohol, remove the HSF, clean the existing thermal paste from the CPU and HSF with the alcohol, dust out the HSF, and then put it all back in with fresh thermal paste.  Once that's done, ensure the HSF is spinning it's fan at sufficient speeds, maybe it's just slowing down from wear/age.

Clean it, and apply new thermal paste. Also you can have a cooler thats to thight.

But stock coolers suck however. Could check out the Evo 212, what is overall considered a proper budget cooler. If you want a more high end solution we can also recommend something else if you want.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I'm sorry I failed to clarify that, but I've cleaned the CPU and the heatsink, I took it apart cleaned it thoroughly , with compressed air and it was very clean. The thermal paste is MX-4 and it's fresh application. It's also 99% fastened good enough. It might be that dying exhaust fan after all. :/

I second verticalbox's suggestion to to try running it with the side panel off.

An 80mm intake with a questionable 120mm exhaust might not be enough for the airflow needed while under heavy load.

In one week I will go to Athens (capital of Greece) for some stuff, and there I'll try to find a decent cooler and some fans. Even a cheap new case with the PSU in the bottom). It will surely fix the problem. Right now I'll try to game with the sidepanel off. Thanks guys. ^_^

I think I fixed the problem. When I removed my heatsink I saw that the paste wasn't covering all the cpu. In fact it covered very little ( one third) despite the fact that I used a big blob. So I spread it with a lil spatula for this particular reason and right now the biggest degrees in fallout 4 ,  is 70 degrees. I hope it stays that way. definitely way better than 98 C...

Thanks to each and every one of you ! This community is amazing ! ^_^