My cpu was running at 98C and I thought I fixed it

...but I didnt. It runned hot so I reapplied thermal paste (which it was clearly missing) and after that didnt quite work I reinstalled the fan. That got my cpu running at 56C and I thought I had solved it. However I realized that whenever I play a game it rises up to a 100C. This led me to thinking this issue might not be on the hardware (maybe it is though). Why si my cpu running so hot? Thx in advanced.

I7 4790K

What CPU is it? Is it AMD or Intel, what model? and what CPU cooler are you using?

19 hours ago, Chatter_Box said:

What CPU is it? Is it AMD or Intel, what model? and what CPU cooler are you using?

stock, I7 4790K

It was running at 98C just now when I was playing civ 5, not really a demanding game. I stopped playing and it dropped to 60C.

Just now, richyman said:

stock, I7 4790K

wait does i7 4790k come with stock cooler?

1 minute ago, richyman said:

yes

did you overclock it?

Possibly just a bad temperature sensor?  

Possible, no? 

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

19 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

did you overclock it?

no :/

19 hours ago, poker1059 said:

Possible, no? 

I wished but I noticed my fps dropping sometimes and thats when I meassured the temp, which matches the fps drops in timing.

Just now, poker1059 said:

Possible, no? 

right, try using a different program? Also if it's near 100c I'm sure it would've shut down to prevent further damage

I swear K chips don't come with stock coolers?

| CPU: AMD FX 8350 + H100i | GPU: AMD R9 290X + NZXT Kraken | RAM: HyperX Beast 2033 16GB | PSU: EVGA G2 | MOBO: ASRock 970M |

| CASE: Corsair Carbide 88R |STORAGE: 1x WD Black | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: R.A.T 9 |

SOMETIMES LOSING THE BATTLE, MEANS YOU CAN WIN THE WAR

19 hours ago, stationvsbox said:

right, try using a different program? Also if it's near 100c I'm sure it would've shut down to prevent further damage

I did too, and it doesnt shut down, ive used it for a while now (I know maybe not the best call but I really like gaming) and it can run at 98C without shutting down,

19 hours ago, SherifsDog22 said:

ez to verify ;)

I did too, and it doesnt shut down, ive used it for a while now (I know maybe not the best call but I really like gaming) and it can run at 98C without shutting down,

Then it has to be a bad sensor giving some bad readings on intel ARK the max tCASE Temp on the IHS is 74.04C and if it's hitting 90+ then the whole thing would just stop or something than just slow down a bit

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, SherifsDog22 said:

You're incorrect.  Top teir consumer K chips shipping without coolers is only a very recent trend.  While my experience is limited, I assure you I have i5 2500K and i7 3770K stock intel coolers.

19 hours ago, stationvsbox said:

How's the fan speed? 

FANIN0: 2102 RPM

FANIN2: 868

FANIN4: 794 

I dont know which one is the cpu´s, could it be that the rpms decrease when I open games?

Then it has to be a bad sensor giving some bad readings on intel ARK the max tCASE Temp on the IHS is 74.04C and if it's hitting 90+ then the whole thing would just stop or something than just slow down a bit

hmmm, but then why do my fps drop? sometimes my game freezes for around 2 seconds and at the end im at another spot in the game. And no,it isnt lag :P .

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2299787/4790k-high-temp/page-2.html

Basically he reapplied thermal paste, having similar issues to you, (100C CPU temps with no good reason) Also try reseating your CPU and try taking out and putting back in your CMOS battery to eliminate more possibilities  

Spoiler

hmmm, but then why do my fps drop? sometimes my game freezes for around 2 seconds and at the end im at another spot in the game. And no,it isnt lag :P .

Sensor giving false positives to throttle the CPU performance? Maybe? 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, richyman said:

FANIN0: 2102 RPM

FANIN2: 868

FANIN4: 794 

I dont know which one is the cpu´s, could it be that the rpms decrease when I open games?

The stock heatsink is pretty bad. After two years of use it couldnt keep my 4770 below 90C at load

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

Sensor giving false positives to throttle the CPU performance? Maybe? 

Maybe,but I also noticed the load of the cpu apparently reached 100% (which I though was due to the temp). Anyway, tomorrow Ill tryresating my cpu as you said and see what happens.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2299787/4790k-high-temp/page-2.html

Basically he reapplied thermal paste, having similar issues to you, (100C CPU temps with no good reason) Also try reseating your CPU and try taking out and putting back in your CMOS battery to eliminate more possibilities  

I did rplace the thermal paste (of which it had almost none). 

I opened rainbow 6 siege, and even wihtout playing,just being in the menu, my temp rised to 90C. WTF. I closed it and it got down to 60C. 

Edit: Ill check if the rpms or the voltages change when I open games now.

It seems to be the voltage! Iddle the voltage oscilated between 0.2V and 0.9V, however, as soon as I doble click the launcher the temp starts to rise and the voltage now oscilated between 0.8V and 1.2V. Now, how do I fix that? or is that even fixable?

18 hours ago, Canada EH said:

You got way more issue's then playboy richyman.

I wouldnt be playing around like that until you find out whats wrong.

I play on it anyway man, "You got way more issue's then playboy" loled.

13 hours ago, richyman said:

It seems to be the voltage! Iddle the voltage oscilated between 0.2V and 0.9V, however, as soon as I doble click the launcher the temp starts to rise and the voltage now oscilated between 0.8V and 1.2V. Now, how do I fix that? or is that even fixable?

That's completely normal. Voltage fluctuates on demand as the higher the CPU frequency goes the more voltage is required. 1.2V is nothing.

You're using a stock heatsink on a 4790k which is a chip well known for being way too hot for a simple stock heatsink over a long period of time. Go to a store and buy a Hyper 212 or similar for $20 and your problem should be fixed.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.