"Bottlenecking"

Can we please have a "how bad does your CPU have to be to actually bottleneck various GPUs" video? 

"Bottleneck" seems to be the word of the month here. Everyone worrying about bottlenecking.

As far as I understand it, you need to have a pretty slow CPU to bottleneck modern GPUs as MOST games are GPU intensive. Some are more CPU intensive, but that's programming not hardware. And if you're not running super high end setups, you're not likely to run into any bottlenecks. 

Almost every game I've played my CPU sits around 30-40% usage while my GPU can be pegged at 100%. This is with a 1060 6GB.

what CPU are you using though? this lack of detail is bottlenecking your post/question

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Here

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Here

Gracias señor. Although I'd like to see a more indepth video more along the lines of "With a 1080 Ti" you'd need a "insert crappy CPU here" to bottleneck it in this CPU intensive game. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

Gracias señor. 

de nada

OP needs to google/youtube more proficiently, its bottlenecking him

There are various articles on the topic, but one of the main issues is you really need to test a lot of configurations to get a good amount of data.

Tom's Hardware recently posted a really nice article on this sort of: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-core-cpu-scaling-directx-11,4768.html

Tech Spot also does game benchmarks with various CPUs: http://www.techspot.com/features/gaming/gaming-benchmarks/

And this ol' article from PC Gamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/2/

I think the problem is fear and a numbers game. I believe people fall into one of two camps, if not both of them:

• They want to get 100% performance out of their part. Even getting 95% is somehow the end of the world for them
  • If they are not getting 100% performance out of their part, then that means that's all the performance they'll get, period.
2 minutes ago, mok said:

what CPU are you using though? this lack of detail is bottlenecking your post/question

It doesn't matter what the CPU is. If it's being taxed to the point where it can't send rendering commands to the GPU faster than the GPU can render the frame, it's bottlenecking the GPU.

8 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Can we please have a "how bad does your CPU have to be to actually bottleneck various GPUs" video? 

"Bottleneck" seems to be the word of the month here. Everyone worrying about bottlenecking.

As far as I understand it, you need to have a pretty slow CPU to bottleneck modern GPUs as MOST games are GPU intensive. Some are more CPU intensive, but that's programming not hardware. And if you're not running super high end setups, you're not likely to run into any bottlenecks. 

Almost every game I've played my CPU sits around 30-40% usage while my GPU can be pegged at 100%. This is with a 1060 6GB.

"but that's programming not hardware." You still have to overcompensate that with hardware if you want to play it. You can't just re-code it, meanwhile you can make sure to have a proper CPU for it.

And yeah, people are asking if their CPU is going to be a bottleneck when it's not going to. But that's simply because they do not know, for that reason we(this forum member) are here to help :)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

4 minutes ago, mok said:

OP needs to google/youtube more proficiently, its bottlenecking him

It's not for me. I know what I need and don't need. It's for the millions of threads we get on the subject.

Although I didn't realize Linus directed people here to sort out those problems.

Ugh, guess we'll have to deal with "Will my if 6600k bottleneck my 1080 something or other" for a while longer...

Heck, at this point I kinda just want to make a master thread with people with known CPU/GPU combos and whether or not they are good.

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There are various articles on the topic, but one of the main issues is you really need to test a lot of configurations to get a good amount of data.

snip

Thanks for the links. But this sentence is exactly why I think LTT should do an in depth video on it. They HAVE all of the configurations. At least do it with new cards. What's the cheapest CPU you can get away with with this card to not bottleneck it.

I think it'd be very useful. 

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

It's not for me. I know what I need and don't need. It's for the millions of threads we get on the subject.

Although I didn't realize Linus directed people here to sort out those problems.

Ugh, guess we'll have to deal with "Will my if 6600k bottleneck my 1080 something or other" for a while longer...

Heck, at this point I kinda just want to make a master thread with people with known CPU/GPU combos and whether or not they are good.

im with you.

this forum has been on repeat for years

Edited by mok

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Thanks for the links. But this sentence is exactly why I think LTT should do an in depth video on it. They HAVE all of the configurations. At least do it with new cards. What's the cheapest CPU you can get away with with this card to not bottleneck it.

They are clueless. Heck, they do CPU benchmarks in GPU-bound situations...

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

*SIGH*

Unless you plan on always running everything at Ultra settings at the highest resolution, one could remove a bottle neck (either perceived or real) by just throttling down the settings so that one bottle neck overlaps the other.

if you're gaming at 1080p and you get 60 FPS... and that's as fast as your monitor can go... ask yourself: what's the REAL bottle neck here...?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Ultimately the problem though is nobody will bother to read/watch/etc. any information before posting on the forum "WILL THIS BOTTLENECK MY UPGRADE!?!?!!1oneoneone"

I have a guide as well, but nobody seems to care. People would rather be lazy and have someone say "yes" or "no". I think we should just default to "yes" to be facetious :3

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I think we should just default to "yes" to be facetious :3

I like it.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I shall quote myself from another thread, about the same topic

A lost in performance not from the actual hardware itself, but from that person's imagination.

Gots a GTX 1080, went out and spend another $1700 on a 6950X. "Still bottlenecks"

Sheeeeeittt!!!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list