Removing os without formating it

Ezsno

Hello there. I have a little question to ask. How can i remove my os from my drive without formating it and removing all the software that i had on it. Also i don't have my cd because my os was a digital copy. 

What i meant to say is without formating the drive and my installed software is still there

Maybe try Shift-Delete on C:/Windows? Or System32? (Maybe I didn't look at all, but is system 32 still a non hidden folder?). 

EDIT: System 32 is in C:/Windows, just delete that. It is the classic way to F windows. It will leave the programs and programs x86 alone. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Just download the Windows OS installation image from Microsoft and create your own installation media.

Windows 7: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

Windows 8.1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8

Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

You're going to have to reinstall your programs anyways if you install another OS. I wouldn't recommend doing that because you're ought to run into stability issues.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

No, you can't properly do that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I already have a os on my new ssd. And i want to transfer my data and other stuff to my new pc

3 minutes ago, Ezsno said:

I already have a os on my new ssd. And i want to transfer my data and other stuff to my new pc

You could move Documents (folder) and programs files (folder) over, but you will still have to reinstall the programs. Your new install will not know what to do with the programs with out the installer, unless you are using a portable program to start with.  Generally .dat files will hold program settings, so keep those, and game saves are generally in users documents, so keep those. Otherwise, reinstall. 

But deleting the windows or System32 folers will render the OS unusable. Those folders hold all of the windows kernel and base programs. 

Edit Reason: Wrong word. 

Edited by Sheldon_King
Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

So even if i have my os on a different drive i still have to re install my stuff? But i have my Microsoft office there and other one timed licensed stuff 

13 minutes ago, Ezsno said:

So even if i have my os on a different drive i still have to re install my stuff? But i have my Microsoft office there and other one timed licensed stuff 

Those programs won't run on the new OS install anyway unless you reinstall it or transfer the licenses.

3 hours ago, Ezsno said:

Office is not a portable program, it will have to be reinstalled. 

If you are talking about an OEM license, then you are limited to one computer, not one install. You can use a program called MagicJelleyBean to retrieve your licenses (windows, office, some games, and probably more).  It can be downloaded here: https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

As for reinstalling, it really depends on the program. Some installers just dump a portable version to your  disk and give you a shortcut. Chromium does this on windows. Some Programs are just one click run anyway, for instance YUMI.  The rest require access to other programs, or libraries, and a permanent directory to where it is and its dependencies are on the computer (directory basically). These will not run without a reinstall. If it is a microsoft program, adobe program, or larger than about 200ish megabytes, then you are likely looking at a reinstall. Smaller programs are likely either dependent plugins, or portable apps (like chromium).  

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler