AMD Zen

Building a pc soon, but is the amd zen worth wairing for?

its worth the wait since zen is just right around the corner. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Jerome.PC said:

we don't know exactly if its worth it but hey why the hell not its so close to release you might as well wait.

2 minutes ago, AMD Radeon said:

Zen will be the most amazing thing since the invention of spaghetti.

Just wait...

Seems an AMD employee found his way onto the forum :P

AMDMASTERRACE

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

11 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

Seems an AMD employee found his way onto the forum :P

AMDMASTERRACE

White Lightning: i5-4690K w/ CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 

2 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

White Lightning: i5-4690K w/ CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 

CPUs suck, GPUs dont :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

They may have decided that 64 bit is too old and it's taken so long to get Zen out as it's 128 bit. You never know :P

3 hours ago, AMD Radeon said:

Zen will be the most amazing thing since the invention of spaghetti.

Just wait...

Just like Bulldozer was supposed to be amazing.

Wait, it was really a big letdown. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 hours ago, Jerome.PC said:

It is supposed to release maybe middle of next year, and when it will be available to purchase readily maybe a month or two after that, so no it really isn't, unless you can wait possibly up to another year.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

One question I have not been able to have solid information with Zen is the design of the Integrated Memory Controller or IMC. What improvements are there, because the Bullddozer-Piledriver IMC was not very good.

8 minutes ago, os2wiz said:

One question I have not been able to have solid information with Zen is the design of the Integrated Memory Controller or IMC. What improvements are there, because the Bullddozer-Piledriver IMC was not very good.

Yep, I am also interested in this.

We don't know enough about Zen yet but we need to know more about chipset, etc.

4 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

They may have decided that 64 bit is too old and it's taken so long to get Zen out as it's 128 bit. You never know :P

64 bit CPUs can handle about 16 exabytes of memory. Making 128 bit CPUs would be a retarded move, as you would require a larger CPU and the speed increase would be 5% if you're an optimist, doing math. Maybe in 25 years we will hear about some super computer using custom 128 bit CPUs.

For the record, the most powerful computer is the Sunway TaihuLight, with about 1.31 exabytes.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

7 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

cant wait for 302,231,454,903,657,293,676,544 petabytes of ram

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

9 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Just like Bulldozer was supposed to be amazing.

Wait, it was really a big letdown. 

Bulldozer =/= Zen

13 minutes ago, AMD Radeon said:

Bulldozer =/= Zen

exactly , AMD made clear they learned from they're mistakes

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

2 hours ago, AMD Radeon said:

Bulldozer =/= Zen

Yes, but AMD has made far too many claims in the past that have not come true. I'm staying skeptical, and nothing you say will change that. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

exactly , AMD made clear they learned from they're mistakes

Time will tell. 

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Yes, but AMD has made far too many claims in the past that have not come true. I'm staying skeptical, and nothing you say will change that. 

I'm on the skeptical side as well, but then again It's not like I trust intel marketing either.

I bought into the hype for FX, and ended up waiting a month for a bios update just to use the system without crashing. The lack of any real announcement sounds like at the best they have similar performance to haswell, which is still pretty good. AMD seem to be keeping a tighter lip than in the past, which lead to some wild speculation on the rx series.

15 hours ago, Jerome.PC said:

My 2c is no it's not worth waiting for if your ready to buy now. Wait till it's release, then it'll be a short wait for the next quarter releases, so on and so forth. Enjoy now if you've the cash since there's always something 'better' over the horizon in hardware land. Given I am currently waiting to see how zen stacks up before I upgrade next, but that's when I'll have the cash to upgrade. I'm hopeful it'll provide good multi threaded performance for my workloads, in a slightly cheaper range than Intel's enthusiast range, but I was also around for the Athlon generation of amd, and they tend to put a price point on comparable performance. TLDR: if you wait for Zen and it's what its hypes to be, you might save 80 bucks compared to intel equivalent. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Simple version... if you are set on AMD, you need to wait, hands down.

If intel is OK for you, then buy now if you have the money. There will always be newer and better around the corner, but not usually enough to keep delaying your new upgrade IMO 

18 hours ago, Jerome.PC said:

Whether Zen is worth it, we'll know when Zen is out. The question today would be: is the actual information about Zen worth waiting? Then I'd say it depends on your urgencies and the market segment you are targeting.

10 minutes ago, Meddadog said:

There will always be newer and better around the corner, but not usually enough to keep delaying your new upgrade IMO 

There's always a new product, yes. But there's rarely a radical change of architecture and the potential for a significant portion of the market to become a duopoly again. What you say it's true for "Skylake or waiting for Kaby Lake", or "Bulldozer or waiting for Piledriver" back in the day. Zen is closer to "Core Duo/Phenom II or waiting for Sandy Bridge/Bulldozer", with the added market structure thing (when Sandy Bridge launched it was still a 2-company market). That's why I argue that people in no rush may have something to gain from waiting for the information this particular time, regardless of which CPU they eventually buy.

12 hours ago, MMKing said:

64 bit CPUs can handle about 16 exabytes of memory. Making 128 bit CPUs would be a retarded move, as you would require a larger CPU and the speed increase would be 5% if you're an optimist, doing math. Maybe in 25 years we will hear about some super computer using custom 128 bit CPUs.

For the record, the most powerful computer is the Sunway TaihuLight, with about 1.31 exabytes.

Like a low flying plane, the joke went straight over your head ;)