Sudden in game restarting

ThatSoundGuy
Go to solution Solved by ThatSoundGuy,
On 11/9/2016 at 5:09 PM, zanthros said:

I remember your post previously and suggested that you use a Watt-O-Meter. Did you ever do that? Did you ever install the chipset drivers? Did you ever use any thermal monitoring software to watch your temps? All of these suggestions WILL help you track down the problem if it is a hardware problem. It is up to you to follow through. If you don't then you will never find it and just waste people's time. 

Here, I'll give you a diagnostic tip. If you want to narrow it down between software and hardware, do an install of Windows 7, update it and see if the problem persists. If it does then it is a hardware problem more than likely. But then again, windows10 has sooooo many problems with gaming and power management that it should not of ever come out of beta. I have never seen so many shut down while in use issues ever. Run the tests and good luck.

Used the watt-o-meter, nothing out of the ordinary, but I just went on a hunch and RMA'd the PSU and now the issue is non-existent! I tried most of the suggestions for troubleshooting and nothing seemed to help, but I guess it was something inside the PSU. Anyway, thanks!! 

Just RMA the PSU if you can't find what's wrong 

This is what I found

OS-Windows 10 x64, Purchased from a retailer and installed myself, I built my PC in March of 2016, and I have not reinstalled the OS, CPU-6700K, VideoCard is 980ti, Motherboard is a z170A Gaming, power supply is a 750W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 80+ Platinum, Desktop. BIOS Version is American Megatrends Inc. 1.C0, 10/19/2016

While I am playing say, BF1 or Overwatch, my computer will play and maintain good temps, but then it will suddenly shut down, then restart... Wth?

By build is here via PCPartPicker, and below is my computers display of what it says it's got.

My Build Info.nfo

Do you get a BSOD (blue frowny face screen) when ever this happens? Check your dumps or search for "reliability manager" is it saying anything in there about your crashes? 

I used to get the same problem, just a flat out restart while playing battlefield 4. I narrowed it down to higher gpu utilization on my sli 980tis (because I got a bigger and badder monitor) so they wanted more juice than my PSU could deliver. I ended up running GPU benchmarks maxed out full rez and watching precision x16 graphs (looking for pattern) with the total utilization and power consumption % and at about 75% utilization or power consumption I would get a instant crash and restart. Thought my corsair 850W psu would be able to handle it, but a new PSU fixed the issue. 

Now I'm not saying my problem is your problem. But if you're crashing only in games you could try running UNIGINE's Valley benchmark tool- crank up the settings for full screen and see if that crashes you. If you're still up and rolling-- do you have any over clocks? I know BF4 never liked my CPU overclocks.

Or maybe a fresh install of your drivers could solve this.

Someone else might be able to help you diagnose better, or have a better understanding of whats going on. I am in no way a professional, but since no one has replied yet-- maybe they will if they think I'm an idiot :) you're welcome!

29 minutes ago, Al Hoff said:

Do you get a BSOD (blue frowny face screen) when ever this happens? Check your dumps or search for "reliability manager" is it saying anything in there about your crashes? 

I used to get the same problem, just a flat out restart while playing battlefield 4. I narrowed it down to higher gpu utilization on my sli 980tis (because I got a bigger and badder monitor) so they wanted more juice than my PSU could deliver. I ended up running GPU benchmarks maxed out full rez and watching precision x16 graphs (looking for pattern) with the total utilization and power consumption % and at about 75% utilization or power consumption I would get a instant crash and restart. Thought my corsair 850W psu would be able to handle it, but a new PSU fixed the issue. 

Now I'm not saying my problem is your problem. But if you're crashing only in games you could try running UNIGINE's Valley benchmark tool- crank up the settings for full screen and see if that crashes you. If you're still up and rolling-- do you have any over clocks? I know BF4 never liked my CPU overclocks.

Or maybe a fresh install of your drivers could solve this.

Someone else might be able to help you diagnose better, or have a better understanding of whats going on. I am in no way a professional, but since no one has replied yet-- maybe they will if they think I'm an idiot :) you're welcome!

Nope! No BSOD-It just, black screens, computer fans shut off, then boots like I had just shut it down.

I thought it was the PSU too, but I believe that my actual wattage is much lower than my PSU, so it should be handling it perfectly fine xD

Here is my 3DMark score and info which shows that everything should be working just fine.

Thank you! I'll try UNIGINE's Valley benchmark tool soon, and I'll post again here. 

I have not touched anything with my CPU and my GPU other than fan speeds to keep my PC nice and cool. Personally too nervous about overclocking XDD

Did a fresh install last week with all my drivers, but I'll probably do that next as well.

Thank you so much @Al Hoff

(Not marking as solved, since still having the issue)

Well.. I ran  UNIGINE's Valley benchmark tool ... and my computer just, black screened like it does in games 1 minute after the benchmark ran. Still, I have no clue what's wrong...

It black screened and shut down immediately, fans and lights all off, except for the power light, then the computer booted back up like nothing was wrong.

22 minutes ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

Well.. I ran  UNIGINE's Valley benchmark tool ... and my computer just, black screened like it does in games 1 minute after the benchmark ran. Still, I have no clue what's wrong...

It black screened and shut down immediately, fans and lights all off, except for the power light, then the computer booted back up like nothing was wrong.

could be something to do with the motherboard (bad power delivery to the cpu)

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

1 hour ago, Matt_98 said:

could be something to do with the motherboard (bad power delivery to the cpu)

I tried not using MSI Afterburner to control the GPU fans, and the computer stayed on longer, but still shut off.

EDIT: But this is a completely new motherboard from MSI, like, I just got it after RMA'ing the previous one (Had CPU contact issues)

Edited by ThatSoundGuy

New development, this also happens if I have 13 or more tabs open, but will not suddenly shut down for about 1 day or so

(Also running Spotify and playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel for 15 minutes)

Do you have any other way to mesure temps ? I had the same symptoms when my motherboad thermostat died .

4 hours ago, grenskul said:

Do you have any other way to mesure temps ? I had the same symptoms when my motherboad thermostat died .

Other than MSI afterburner? I mean.. I can look up and download something else, but I'm pretty sure temps aren't the problem, but I'll look into it!

1 hour ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

Other than MSI afterburner? I mean.. I can look up and download something else, but I'm pretty sure temps aren't the problem, but I'll look into it!

I meant something physical . If the thermostat where fubared you would need something like a heat camera to check .

6 hours ago, grenskul said:

I meant something physical . If the thermostat where fubared you would need something like a heat camera to check .

I can get my hands on a FLIR camera/scanner

Also, new issue... Random black out, screen shuts off, and loss of audio, but turns back on and audio starts playing again after a few seconds. WHAT IS GOING ON???

perhaps a crappy power outlet/surge protector? I know its dumb and simple but that might be a good place to start.

your other problems...you're having some tough luck man. I know it would blow chunks but maybe a fresh windows install.

awhile ago I had an issue with my wifi card. my pc would lose audio then immediately drop connection. restart and itd be fine. a reinstall of the drivers didn't fix it but the windows reinstall did.

16 hours ago, lettuce head said:

perhaps a crappy power outlet/surge protector? I know its dumb and simple but that might be a good place to start.

your other problems...you're having some tough luck man. I know it would blow chunks but maybe a fresh windows install.

awhile ago I had an issue with my wifi card. my pc would lose audio then immediately drop connection. restart and itd be fine. a reinstall of the drivers didn't fix it but the windows reinstall did.

Tried using a different outlet, nope, didn't work, and now, I'm running into issues with resetting my pc, either it will black out and not let me reset, or it just says that it's running into issues. 

Still utterly screwed.

I remember your post previously and suggested that you use a Watt-O-Meter. Did you ever do that? Did you ever install the chipset drivers? Did you ever use any thermal monitoring software to watch your temps? All of these suggestions WILL help you track down the problem if it is a hardware problem. It is up to you to follow through. If you don't then you will never find it and just waste people's time. 

Here, I'll give you a diagnostic tip. If you want to narrow it down between software and hardware, do an install of Windows 7, update it and see if the problem persists. If it does then it is a hardware problem more than likely. But then again, windows10 has sooooo many problems with gaming and power management that it should not of ever come out of beta. I have never seen so many shut down while in use issues ever. Run the tests and good luck.

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2016 at 5:09 PM, zanthros said:

Used the watt-o-meter, nothing out of the ordinary, but I just went on a hunch and RMA'd the PSU and now the issue is non-existent! I tried most of the suggestions for troubleshooting and nothing seemed to help, but I guess it was something inside the PSU. Anyway, thanks!! 

Just RMA the PSU if you can't find what's wrong 

This is what I found