Great I5 or Bad I7?

Hi, im currently running a I3 on socket 1150, and im looking to upgrade and i was wondering if I should get a High end I5 or a low end I7 any advise would be appreciated

Can you just tell which i5 and which i7 you're looking to get? And can you also tell what motherboard you have? (or at the very least tell us if it's Z87/Z97 or not)

EDIT: oh and more importantly: please explain what kind of usage you have on your PC. Gaming alone? Photo manipulation? Video editing? 3D Modeling? Combination of some stuff?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't think there is even any such thing as a low end i7. As Minibois said, we would need to know what you plan to do on your computer

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor or the Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor, and i have a MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX Motherboard - LGA1150 Socket

2 minutes ago, THE TEKKERS said:

intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor or the Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor, and i have a MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX Motherboard - LGA1150 Socket

You are not able to upgrade to Skylake.  That is the 1151 socket.

You should be looking at the i7 4790K, or i5 4690K.

Neither will fit that motherboard. The 6xxx line is socket lga 1151 (yes the one makes a difference). It also requires ddr4 or dd3 low voltage ram

For z97 you'd need an i5/7 4xxx

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

6700 ? will cost less mother board and no cooler needed (aftermarket)

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

You are not able to upgrade to Skylake.  That is the 1151 socket.

You should be looking at the i7 4790K, or i5 4690K.

My bad, thanks for the advice :)

Have you considered a Xeon? 

Close to i5 price for i7 performance.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

1 minute ago, Flitter said:

Have you considered a Xeon? 

Close to i5 price for i7 performance.

not really, are they worth it? ive not really heard much about them

9 minutes ago, THE TEKKERS said:

Yeah, what the others said.

Only CPU's you can upgrade to on your motherboard (that are an upgrade) are the i5 4440, 4460, 4670(K), 4690(K) and the i7 4770(K) and 4790(K). The E3-1231 v3 might be interesting too, since it fits in your motherboard, has the price of an i5 4690K and the amount of thread the i7 4790K has. You can't overclock it (really) though, which you could do with any of the other K CPU's I mentioned.

Anyways, if you do only gaming: a higher end overclockable i5 might be a better choice than any i7. If you do 3D modeling, rendering, video editing, streaming, a lot of multitasking or similar: the i7's or Xeons might be interesting to you. The i7 K CPU's might be interesting since you could overclock them too.

P.S. the Xeon doesn't have an integrated GPU so you need to have a graphics card in your system to use that one

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, THE TEKKERS said:

E3-1231V3 is pretty much the same as an i7-4770 without integrated graphics...they can often be found at lower price...worth to check those out.

That said, you have Z97 motherboard so if you would get an i7-4770K or i7-4790K you would be able to overclock it and get even more performance and more bang for your bucks and the purchase would last you longer as it's easy to add 20 to 25% performance to the CPU by overclocking it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

16 minutes ago, THE TEKKERS said:

Xeons use the same core architecture as equivalent desktops, so a 3 GHz Haswell Xeon with four cores + hyperthreading performs the same as a 3 GHz Haswell i7. They aren't unlocked like K-sku CPUs such as the i7-4770K, i5-4670K, i7-4790K, i7-5775C, etc., so you're (officially) stuck with whatever stock clock speeds they have.

Hi , I'm at the same place as the op , have a i3-4130 , wondering if there's any benefit to get the i7 4790k over i5 4690k just for gaming. Everyone's saying you don't need i7 to game at least today, but how's that in the long term?   Simply want my pc to survive at least three more years and was wondering. I'll be switching my gpu as well and getting 1080 

4 minutes ago, 5andrius said:

Hi , I'm at the same place as the op , have a i3-4130 , wondering if there's any benefit to get the i7 4790k over i5 4690k just for gaming. Everyone's saying you don't need i7 to game at least today, but how's that in the long term?   Simply want my pc to survive at least three more years and was wondering. I'll be switching my gpu as well and getting 1080 

That's correct. You don't need an i7 to game and most games show little improvement with hyperthreading.

There are a few games that do benefit from hyperthreading by quite a bit, and more of these games are being released, but you're still going to get excellent performance with an i5, even for the next 3 years.