How many years would 1080 future proof 2k gaming?

GertS

Basically for how many years you can play solid 60+ fps ultra settings on 2k using 1080, with out having to buy a new card.

maybe 2-3 years imo

4 If they are optimized like BF1

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

6 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

maybe 2-3 years imo

4 If they are optimized like BF1

7 minutes ago, GertS said:

Basically for how many years you can play solid 60+ fps ultra settings on 2k using 1080, with out having to buy a new card.

There's no such thing as "futureproofing" especially when it comes to grapics and video games. People with throw years for the lols but for any hardware after 5-6 years seems to be common for them to become outdated.

At this point in computer technology advancement, I still run 4th gen  processor, and its been 4 years. It still runs good, but the graphics card was replaced after the 1 1/2 years, and it was a R9 290x.

so based on the question, if you are trying to make a decision on having the best graphics for the longest time, and unless you have a great job to spend on such goose chase, you will be replacing your GFX Card as soon as a killer app or hardware comes out to blow that out of the water.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Wouldn't it depend on the GPU? 

It may last a long time. As I recall JayZtwoCents (I think it was him) said his friend used 720p forever (may still do so) and hasn't needed to upgrade for a long time. Then when he got a kinda new GPU, 720p was just way better. I believe over time he had to slightly turn settings down. 

If you stay at that resolution, over time, you'll only gain benefits of running a lower resolution. 

"2k" is not an actually defined term, but if were gonna go off what 4k is defined as, 2K = 1080p. I am going to assume you meant "2.5K" which is 1440p.

OP, to answer your question, usually a flagship card is capable of 2-3 years of maxing games out at 1080p. Things are changing so fast in the GPU scene the last year that who knows what these new ones will do. My guess though is that youll get great life for at least 3 years from them.

When in doubt, re-format.

22 minutes ago, GertS said:

My GTX 1080 already has trouble keeping Deux Ex: Mankind Divided at 60FPS on ultra at 1440p. So the GTX 1080 is already not a "future proofing" card by this definition.