Help With terrible networking Situation

So I have a terrible situation for my networking. just so you can get and Idea I live with my stubborn "cost effective" parents which I love very much but I live on the second floor and am not directly above the router. My internet speeds paid for provided by AT&T is 40 down 10 up. I have to use wifi end of story but whenever I use a adapter I get 20 down and 5 up. Like the adapter is purposely cutting it in half. The adapter is a Asus PCE AC56. Which is rated for way higher. My neighborhood 5G band is relativelty empty so I cant see why that would be a factor. Also I RMAd the adapter because whenever I tried to connect to the internet it would say it was unable to connect no matter what the driver was. has anyone else had this issue with the card?. I believe my specs are on my profile.

1 minute ago, JimmyDeans said:

So I have a terrible situation for my networking. just so you can get and Idea I live with my stubborn "cost effective" parents which I love very much but I live on the second floor and am not directly above the router. My internet speeds paid for provided by AT&T is 40 down 10 up. I have to use wifi end of story but whenever I use a adapter I get 20 down and 5 up. Like the adapter is purposely cutting it in half. The adapter is a Asus PCE AC56. Which is rated for way higher. My neighborhood 5G band is relativelty empty so I cant see why that would be a factor. Also I RMAd the adapter because whenever I tried to connect to the internet it would say it was unable to connect no matter what the driver was. has anyone else had this issue with the card?. I believe my specs are on my profile.

i would recomend getting a powerline adapter.  i used to use a usb wifi card and i would always lose internet but ever since i upgraded i never lose internet and always get the speed that im acually paying for

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

2 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

i would recomend getting a powerline adapter.  i used to use a usb wifi card and i would always lose internet but ever since i upgraded i never lose internet and always get the speed that im acually paying for

I have tried that but aparently all of the 6 I have tried seem to hate my house for no reason.

24 minutes ago, JimmyDeans said:

I have tried that but aparently all of the 6 I have tried seem to hate my house for no reason.

Not no reason it means you have shit wiring or your going through too many breakers. 5Ghz has limited range not to mention not a lot of penetration power. You might just be screwed.  

Is your router and Wireless card both AC wireless? Is this an ISP provided Modem/Router or a stand alone router you own your self? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Not no reason it means you have shit wiring or your going through too many breakers. 5Ghz has limited range not to mention not a lot of penetration power. You might just be screwed.  

Is your router and Wireless card both AC wireless? Is this an ISP provided Modem/Router or a stand alone router you own your self? 

Yes They are both AC It is a custom router

The more distance, the more walls, all equal more interference. There is a chance you just too far from the router to use 5Ghz. Or depending on the building materials of your house, something is blocking the signal. 

Here what you can try:

• Put your router in a high place. Like on top of a book shelf or something. 
  • If the router has detachable antenna's you could consider using a directional antenna. You can buy or even build one yourself. Back when I used a WRT54G I used aluminum foil sail to help direct the WiFi signal to my room. 
  • For shits and giggles, update your routers firmware. I have had issues where the 2.4Ghz radio dropped out. I ended up having to install DDWRT as Dlink doesn't support my router. Fixed the issue. 
  • Move the router closer. Not easy to do, but it does help. 
  • MOCA, This uses existing Coax. If you have Coax in both places then it could work. Only issue is this. Moca does not work with satellite TV service. This means, that if your using you coax for satellite TV, then you need special adapters,Which are slower.  I only bring this up, because ATT owns DirectV and they are slowly killing Uverse TV from what I have seen.  But Standard Moca 2.0 adapters do I think real world like 400 Mbps at least. The cool thing about Moca is it can exist with cable service. A set of adapters is about $160, so they aint cheap. 

I have recieved my RMA and the newone also hates the 5G band but accepts the 2.4 I guess this topic is solved. Is there any actuall improvement in 5G?

1 hour ago, JimmyDeans said:

I have recieved my RMA and the newone also hates the 5G band but accepts the 2.4 I guess this topic is solved. Is there any actuall improvement in 5G?

Much faster speeds on AC. Less Interference, at least till the Verizon, ATT, TMobile and Sprint start using the band.