Conflicting reports on ASUS P8H67-M EVO compatibility with Xeon E3-12XX Chips

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

i couldn't get my e3-1240 to work in the z68 nor any of the 'GEN3' cross-overs for the haswell platform. i had to use a z77/h77 platform to get it to boot. as to ecc, that's a negative. on any of those chipset platforms. settled on the h77i wifi from Gigabyte with 16GB 1333MHz RAM. all the z77 offered was more x16 slots and not as much SATA 6GB ports without spending nasty amounts of money. i have a 'ghetto' ASRock z77 formula, but the marvell controller finally stopped working.

So, I am wondering if I could drop in a E3-1220 or E3-1230 into a ASUS P8H67-M EVO motherboard and the system would post and function. I seem to be getting different reports around. On Asus's product page and a few others, the answer is no. But on some other forms and review sites and some other random spec sites, people are saying that they are running chips like the E3-1220 or E3-1230 in that board with ECC. So, is it possible??

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

3 minutes ago, Kulegamez said:

So, I am wondering if I could drop in a E3-1220 or E3-1230 into a ASUS P8H67-M EVO motherboard and the system would post and function. I seem to be getting different reports around. On Asus's product page and a few others, the answer is no. But on some other forms and review sites and some other random spec sites, people are saying that they are running chips like the E3-1220 or E3-1230 in that board with ECC. So, is it possible??

It is possible that the CPU will work, sometimes with an updated BIOS it adds support. However I have doubts that someone was able to run ECC memory in it, if the motherboard never supported it then it likely doesn't work with EEC memory.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

i couldn't get my e3-1240 to work in the z68 nor any of the 'GEN3' cross-overs for the haswell platform. i had to use a z77/h77 platform to get it to boot. as to ecc, that's a negative. on any of those chipset platforms. settled on the h77i wifi from Gigabyte with 16GB 1333MHz RAM. all the z77 offered was more x16 slots and not as much SATA 6GB ports without spending nasty amounts of money. i have a 'ghetto' ASRock z77 formula, but the marvell controller finally stopped working.

50 minutes ago, airdeano said:

as to ecc, that's a negative. on any of those chipset platforms. settled on the h77i wifi from Gigabyte with 16GB 1333MHz RAM. all the z77 offered was more x16 slots and not as much SATA 6GB ports without spending nasty amounts of money. 

Ok, this is wierd. I downloaded the QVL for memory from asus and briefly looking at the 1333(1) pdf, (it downloads 4 pdfs in a .zip), I saw 2 entries for crucial ECC memory. So.....

Capture.PNGI just looked through even more of the documents and found more compatible models.

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

54 minutes ago, Kulegamez said:

Ok, this is wierd. I downloaded the QVL for memory from asus and briefly looking at the 1333(1) pdf, (it downloads 4 pdfs in a .zip), I saw 2 entries for crucial ECC memory. So.....

I just looked through even more of the documents and found more compatible models.

There are pentiums, and i3s with ecc support a xeon isn't necessary for ecc.

Look at the motherboard compatible cpu list a few h67 board actually do aupport the xeons, but most will not at all support them.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

31 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

There are pentiums, and i3s with ecc support a xeon isn't necessary for ecc.

Look at the motherboard compatible cpu list a few h67 board actually do aupport the xeons, but most will not at all support them.

Yes I knew that and everything that you just said. That's not the point of this thread if you read it. The point was I checked the Asus compatibility page and they listed that no xeon's are compatible, but i was reading post by other people who said that they are running a 1220 or 1230 on that board with ECC. The side topic was that we said that ECC was never supported in the board when it is.

Current Rig (rekt)

Ok thank you, I'll just try it out and just try a bunch of different things together.  Thank you all

Current Rig (rekt)