EA Games and Origin quietly bans an entire country - or, why you shouldn't take digital distribution for granted.

IAEInferno
1 minute ago, Centurius said:

AACS 2.0, which is used on 4K blu-rays, uses decryption via the internet and it is as of yet(nearly a year now) uncracked.

Ahh cool, thanks for the info on that.... will have to read up a bit looks like :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

How about we wait for whole story before jumping to conclusions?

Put the pitchforks away before you poke your eye out over something you heard from one person on reddit.

-KuJoe

31 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

How about we wait for whole story before jumping to conclusions?

Put the pitchforks away before you poke your eye out over something you heard from one person on reddit.

no poke EA eyes out, we need a witch hunt emoji or pitchfork :P

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Myanmar is a very problematic country so I wouldnt be surprised if sanctions were the reason behind this, also reddit is often wrong about things so add some salt to the info they give other than the main point.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Well here what EA_Alex (he is a EA/Origin representative on reddit) says about it:

It seems incredibly strange to me that EA_Alex didn't say, "Nope, no more Origin in Myanmar, sorry." if that was really what was going on here. In fact it seems incredibly strange to me that EA wouldn't make an official post or press release about this somewhere, especially if it was a matter outside of their control such as international sanctions or censorship by Myanmar's government.

Further it seems like the only person actually claiming Origin is now completely blocked in Myanmar appears to be a community moderator on the EA forums who doesn't appear to work for or to speak officially on EA's behalf.

THIS is exactly why I've always defended piracy and will always do so.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I think i read that the country was under sanctions, and under a military dictatorship , but is now "democratic".

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

12 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Myanmar is a very problematic country so I would be surprised if sanctions were the reason behind this, also reddit is often wrong about things so add some salt to the info they give other than the main point.

Interesting reasoning, but are other companies doing the same thing? 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

This concerns me as someone with ~$2000 invested in Steam/Origin/uPlay accounts. While I doubt I'm getting a sanction against my country, I also foresee the possibility of one of these services "shutting down" or any incident where they take away games / software. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

"suddenly becomes glad that he's moving to a place with internet good enough for VPN torrenting+multiplayer"

Before anyone bitches, either way when I buy game, I'll be having a copy one way or another that I can't suddenly lose access to due to arbitrary bullshit.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

46 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

This concerns me as someone with ~$2000 invested in Steam/Origin/uPlay accounts. While I doubt I'm getting a sanction against my country, I also foresee the possibility of one of these services "shutting down" or any incident where they take away games / software. 

Same, I have purchased many PC games from services like Steam and Origin. Although I live in the United States, so... The worry is a little less.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

That's scary, really, really scary. I don't mean the part about the blocking, but the "we don't know if and when the services will be restored".

15 hours ago, Sidiox said:

THIS is exactly why I've always defended piracy and will always do so.

THIS is just a pile of  horseshit.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, shymi said:

That's scary, really, really scary. I don't mean the part about the blocking, but the "we don't know if and when the services will be restored".

Hillary Clinton as President is realy realy scary.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

2 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Hillary Clinton as President is realy realy scary.

Hitler as president then.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

4 hours ago, Praesi said:

THIS is just a pile of  horseshit.

Hitler would agree with you.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

On 10/30/2016 at 9:21 PM, sgtcool said:

I think i read that the country was under sanctions, and under a military dictatorship , but is now "democratic".

Myanmar is governed by a military dictatorship that has been pretty repressive for a long time. But they have liberalized a bit and there have been a number of positive steps toward reform in the last few years, though I'm not sure where they stand right now. I don't think they're quite to the point where we can say they're a democracy, but President Obama did make a public visit, and we've eased sanctions a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011–15_Myanmar_political_reforms