Cisco Router

Danielh90

How do I setup a Cisco Router 1811 receive the internet and bring it to a port 2? and have the computer be on the network. 

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Plug the input internet into the port labeled internet and then plug the computer into a port on the router

I am doing that but when  do that. I get  Network No Internet access.  (I pulled this off of google)

189674d1379305645t-yellow-triangle-netwo

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Okay so you have a modem? With a coax cable plugged into it from the wall? Then all you have to do is plug an ethernet cable into the modem, the other end in "Internet" on the router and plug your PC into a port under "switch)

I have done that. but I still don't get internet access. still gives me a error. Should I factory reset and start over? 

Have you setup PAT properly, static routing, and made sure the SVI is properly configured?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Have you setup PAT properly, static routing, and made sure the SVI is properly configured?

No

4 hours ago, Danielh90 said:

No

Do you expect it to do the work for you? Get off your ass and do your own research or go find a config example, go do a ccna course but don't come here with a device that requires more knowledge than the average ltt viewer has and expect us to hand you the answers. 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

29 minutes ago, legopc said:

Do you expect it to do the work for you? Get off your ass and do your own research or go find a config example, go do a ccna course but don't come here with a device that requires more knowledge than the average ltt viewer has and expect us to hand you the answers. 

Why are you so harsh? Give the guy a break. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Abdul201588 said:

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Thank you. 

Not a problem. 

Are you using the phone line?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

Not a problem. 

Are you using the phone line?

No ethernet cable coming in to fe1

6 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

No ethernet cable coming in to fe1

Okay, can you show the config of your router?

6 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Okay, can you show the config of your router?

How do get the config to paste here? (sorry I'm really a noob) 

8 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

How do get the config to paste here? (sorry I'm really a noob) 

Find the page for the router on the Cisco site, under downloads there is a configuration guide 

2 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

No - unfortunately it is fair enough - Cisco routers are expensive for a reason, to keep Cisco's expensive ecosystem stable. If they were simple to configure and didn't need a certification then people like myself wouldn't be able to charge what we do to configure them for customer sites. Cisco like Aruba, Juniper and many more are enterprise pieces of kit meaning they require a special skill set to use. If you're a novice buying one then you treat it as a learning experience - that's why most people you see buying older Cisco kit are probably doing CCNA. 

2 hours ago, legopc said:

8 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Find the page for the router on the Cisco site, under downloads there is a configuration guide 

No - unfortunately it is fair enough - Cisco routers are expensive for a reason, to keep Cisco's expensive ecosystem stable. If they were simple to configure and didn't need a certification then people like myself wouldn't be able to charge what we do to configure them for customer sites. Cisco like Aruba, Juniper and many more are enterprise pieces of kit meaning they require a special skill set to use. If you're a novice buying one then you treat it as a learning experience - that's why most people you see buying older Cisco kit are probably doing CCNA. 

If I use the "Example config" that cisco gives us will that work or do I still need to configure it? 

12 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Well...  I don't have certifications and I can configure them...

16 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

How do you know he's going to get a CCNA certificate? When I got my first router and switch I had no idea what to do. I got help from the internet, I got help. Once I understood the basics, I did all the work on my own. It's not very helpful to push people away and tell them in rude and mean way. If I came up to you and asked for help, you replied back with a rude comment I would leave and won't engage at all. Being helpful is what we need on this community forum, not negativity.

35 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

If I use the "Example config" that cisco gives us will that work or do I still need to configure it? 

Yes - by default a Cisco router willl ship with zero config and you need to connect to them via serial to even enable things like Telnet. This here should assist: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1800/1801/software/configuration/guide/scg/routconf.html

32 minutes ago, Ringthane said:

Well...  I don't have certifications and I can configure them...

You understand my point though?

30 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

How do you know he's going to get a CCNA certificate? When I got my first router and switch I had no idea what to do. I got help from the internet, I got help. Once I understood the basics, I did all the work on my own. It's not very helpful to push people away and tell them in rude and mean way. If I came up to you and asked for help, you replied back with a rude comment I would leave and won't engage at all. Being helpful is what we need on this community forum, not negativity.

No I completlely understand that however I also understand Lego's frustration as there have been a number of threads from this user regarding this and many users before him have been of the mentality whereby they just demand people to give them the answers. If we point someone in the right direction rather than giving them the exact answer, they'll learn: Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life.

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Yes - by default a Cisco router willl ship with zero config and you need to connect to them via serial to even enable things like Telnet. This here should assist: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1800/1801/software/configuration/guide/scg/routconf.html

You understand my point though?

No I completlely understand that howeer I also understand Lego's frustration as there have been a number of threads from this user regarding this any many users before him have been of the mentality whereby they just demand people to give them the answers. If we point someone in the right direction rather than giving them the exact answer, they'll learn: Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll eat for the rest of his life.

I understand that but I have opened up a port switch fa2 and when I plug in my pc no internet goes to it. 

I understand that but I have opened up a port switch fa2 and when I plug in my pc no internet goes to it. 

Have you configured a WAN interface, DHCP for the LAN interface, NAT & PAT, DNS?

Also clear the config you've already done and follow that link I sent you.

Edited by Windspeed36

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Have you configured a WAN interface, DHCP for the LAN interface, NAT & PAT, DNS?

Nope I'm guessing I will have to set that up too. Any good places where I can learn how to set those things up from?

Nope I'm guessing I will have to set that up too. Any good places where I can learn how to set those things up from?

That link I provided lists it all :)

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

That link I provided lists it all :)

Oh Ok Thank you. (I'm not trying to be annoying or anything  just confused and would like to learn more about cisco stuff) Also alot of times I just jump into stuff . Also does my config look good/correct? 

13 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Also clear the config you've already done and follow that link I sent you.

How do I clear the config?