Edges. Cut off more than my money to my credit card.

So I'm sitting down right? i stand up and hook my new Steam Machine to the TV. It all works out on my test TV. My big screen upstairs isn't as compliant. I hook it up to the stereo and my TV. I turn it on and my screen is cut off on the edges. I'm running Linux. I thought nothing of it and said "Oh how about I mess with it in the terminal right?" I get my fixing music on. (Its through the fire and the flames) So i open the terminal and try changing the resolution. That doesn't work. I create a completely new resolution that wasn't supported by my 10 year old TV. So I try that and it says "This resolution is not supported" (It was 1366x768) even though it supports 14400x400. The fact that it supports a resolution NO MONITOR USES it lets me use it anyways. I decide to install my drivers for the PC. I do that and nothing happens. I'm using Intel graphics so i don't think that I have an interface to manage screen fitting. I decide to use my own TV remote. I go to the garage and realize i put it in the attic. After 4 days of looking through old skiing trophy boxes i find the remote in "Christmas decoration" and I slept well that night. I go to "Fit Screen" and that doesn't work. Auto adjust is already on. I turn it off right? it still didn't work. So i set it to 640x480 and it still doesn't work. I spend hours trying to figure this out and i say "OH RIGHT! ITS HOOKED UP THROUGH THE STEREO!" so I unplug the stereo and plug the cable into the TV and it does the same. After 2 months ripping out hair I decided to look to the LTT community to help me out. Its an old 50 inch Samsung Plasma screen TV from 2006. My specs (If that matters) Are Pentium G4400, HD 510 graphics (Soon to be a 1050Ti) and 8 gb of ram. the OS is Ubuntu 16.04.  Any help? Thanks.

Edited by Boyborg690
Removed accidental Image.TXT file. It wasn't supposed to be a TXT

I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.

fyi 1440x900 was a regular 16:10 resolution before the 16:9 craze
my parents 19inch widescreen still uses it 

Photography / Finance / Gaming

uh this is called 'overscan'. tvs do this for certain content and some TVs are worse than others. Nvidia has compensation for this in their drivers but I'm not sure about intel, especially on linux. http://askubuntu.com/questions/4358/how-do-i-fix-overscan-on-my-hdmi-hdtv

You could try setting the type of the port to 'PC' and checking what the TV is using for cropping. I know with my 5 year old LG TV I set it to 'Just scan' and it worked fine without overscan. 

idk

How the heck did you come to the number 14400x400....?

That's like, more pixels wide than three 4k monitors combined....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The Linux terminal showed me supported resolutions. Oh and I don't have A GUI I can mess with for my Intel thing. When I get my dedicated GPU I knew I would have a fix. My TV is already set to search for overscan. Thanks though! This opened quite a few articles that I can now read.

Edited by Boyborg690
I accidentally put a . Instead of the letter A.

I have a problem with people. The only things I like are 787Bs and PCs.