Testing Question

If I leak test a loop by jumping the PSU, and the loop leaks onto my components, will they short circuit? If so why or why not?

If you have them plugged in then yes. The trick is to only plug in the pump when you jump it then any leaks will do no damage assuming you let them dry before putting power through them.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I think so, yes. If something is leaking then a short circuit would the the logical conclusion.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

14 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

If you have them plugged in then yes. The trick is to only plug in the pump when you jump it then any leaks will do no damage assuming you let them dry before putting power through them.

So whenever you are jumping a PSU there isn't electricity running through the mobo?

2 hours ago, Doomerson said:

So whenever you are jumping a PSU there isn't electricity running through the mobo?

Just disconnect everything from the PSU except your pump. There wont be any power on your motherboard and GPU that way. 

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

2 hours ago, Limecat86 said:

Just disconnect everything from the PSU except your pump. There wont be any power on your motherboard and GPU that way. 

makes sense, thank you

6 hours ago, Doomerson said:

If I leak test a loop by jumping the PSU, and the loop leaks onto my components, will they short circuit? If so why or why not?

A good trick if something leaks during leak testing without anything powered up is to take the stuff out and displace the fluid and clean it off with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

1 hour ago, W-L said:

A good trick if something leaks during leak testing without anything powered up is to take the stuff out and displace the fluid and clean it off with 99% isopropyl alcohol.

Should I pour the iso onto alcohol and wipe it?

Just now, Doomerson said:

Should I pour the iso onto alcohol and wipe it?

Depends if it's just a couple of drop you can dab it dry and use some isopropyl to make sure it doesn't leave any residue, but if it's a large spill or something bad it wouldn't be a bad idea to take everything out and rise/bath it in isoporpyl to make sure there is no fluid left at all. After that it would be best to give it a couple of hours to evaporate and inspect the board. 

Just now, W-L said:

Depends if it's just a couple of drop you can dab it dry and use some isopropyl to make sure it doesn't leave any residue, but if it's a large spill or something bad it wouldn't be a bad idea to take everything out and rise/bath it in isoporpyl to make sure there is no fluid left at all. After that it would be best to give it a couple of hours to evaporate and inspect the board. 

Why is it more effective to use isopropyl alcohol? Is it because it takes off all possible residue? 

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

Why is it more effective to use isopropyl alcohol? Is it because it takes off all possible residue? 

It's use in industry a lot for cleaning PCB's after soldering joints but also because it flashes away quickly and doesn't conduct electricity. That being said if it's really bad you will want to takeoff heatsinks to make sure no liquid is left in the fins or under it and the chips. 

Like stated don't have anything plugged in the psu aside from the pump. I've done it every way and never had any issue even after all my leaks. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz