Free, Simple Photo Editor?

Greetings.

I've been looking for a basic, free photo editor for windows. Back when I used OSX, I used Photoshop for a few complicated edits, but I generally used the simple editors found in Preview and iPhoto. Both come built into OSX, and are simple and straightforward enough to serve my purposes. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a Mac, and was looking for a replacement on Windows.

What do you recommend?

Regards,
Aereldor.

Gimp

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Gimp is great. Open source to allow expansion as well.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Gimp

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Gimp is great. Open source to allow expansion as well.

I need something simple. GIMP is quite easily at the level of Adobe Photoshop. I already have it if I ever need to do something complex, but as of now, I need something simpler.

MS paint.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

I need something simple. GIMP is quite easily at the level of Adobe Photoshop. I already have it if I ever need to do something complex, but as of now, I need something simpler.

I guess Picasa's editing is simpler, but I don't get why you would want a simple program instead of a more complex one which can do everything and just learn the shortcuts for the simple edits

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

MS paint.

I don't think MS paint offers the same features as iPhoto or Preview. Colour grading, for instance? 

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

I guess Picasa's editing is simpler, but I don't get why you would want a simple program instead of a more complex one which can do everything and just learn the shortcuts for the simple edits

It's a cross between laziness and convenience. Knock Facebook filters all you will, but they get the job done for the most basic stuff.

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Simple

Pixlr? It's even got a web client

Everything is simple once you know how to use it.

2 minutes ago, Cela1 said:

Paint.net ?

Pinta is also in that shape.

I Agree with Paint.Net one of the best free Picture Editors on Windows.

Gimp is also nice, but not as simple as the two aboth.

paint.net is pretty good, i use it for whenever i need to throw something together, it's basically a poorman's photoshop but easy to adjust to the UI of MS Paint. if there's a particular function it lacks, (such as text rotation etc. you could do a quick google search to find a plugin for said function)

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

True, but GIMP is really damn hard to learn how to use

Not if you just want to put simple filters on pictures. Just use levels and whatever color options you need. And sometimes gaussian blur. It's not that the program is hard to use, it's just that it has a lot of great options and no one wants to bother looking up/testing which are the best options for what.

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Simple

That seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

4 minutes ago, Cellebyte said:

Pinta is also in that shape.

I Agree with Paint.Net one of the best free Picture Editors on Windows.

Gimp is also nice, but not as simple as the two aboth.

I'll have a look at both. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Simple

It's great, but it lacks the 3-part (no idea what it's supposed to be called) colour correction tool. It also has several menus for effects, rather than many effects in the same menu. For example, colour (hue and saturation) are in one menu while brightness and contrast are in another.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Greetings.

I've been looking for a basic, free photo editor for windows. Back when I used OSX, I used Photoshop for a few complicated edits, but I generally used the simple editors found in Preview and iPhoto. Both come built into OSX, and are simple and straightforward enough to serve my purposes. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to a Mac, and was looking for a replacement on Windows.

What do you recommend?

Regards,
Aereldor.

Google has since made their entire Nik Collection free to download and use. Might give that a go.

If you need color grading and exposure curves, nothing "simple" is going to fit that bucket really...

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

Google has since made their entire Nik Collection free to download and use. Might give that a go.

If you need color grading and exposure curves, nothing "simple" is going to fit that bucket really...

I just installed Nik collection, but I don't know how to launch it. Is it one of those Windows apps, rather than an executable? Because it shows up in Control Panel's uninstall menu.

Nevermind, found it. No shortcuts created on install...

48 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I just installed Nik collection, but I don't know how to launch it. Is it one of those Windows apps, rather than an executable? Because it shows up in Control Panel's uninstall menu.

Nevermind, found it. No shortcuts created on install...

Yeah, it was originally created as a Photoshop/Lightroom plugin back before we had all these fancy things built into these programs.

But it should fully launch on it's own as well.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)