Buying a new one, or modifying a laptop battery.

I need a replacement battery for this https://www.ultrabookbatteries.com/genuine-asus-x540l-a31n1519-a31lo4q-33whr-10-8v-2-9ah-battery.html/A31LO4Q and was wondering if anyone knew of any cheaper options or a better replacement for it. Looking at the battery it looks pretty simple, could I simply buy 3 new NCR18650A batteries (the one i need a replacement for comprises of 3 of these taped together with a red and black wire connecting) and redo the connections myself? Or even buy 3 better batteries to replace it with a better one? How would I go about this; how difficult/dangerous would that be?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

It can ruin your computer because these batteries are made to hold a charge for a long time and be recharged repeatedly. Go with that to be safe than sorry.

4 minutes ago, Gruenbaum said:

It can ruin your computer because these batteries are made to hold a charge for a long time and be recharged repeatedly. Go with that to be safe than sorry.

What can ruin my computer? Go with what? I'm simply replacing the laptop batteries with better versions of laptop batteries, mean't to do the same thing. 

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

It should be simple to replace the batteries yourself if your a comfortable with soldering.

As far as my knowledge goes, I'm not a expert, you should also be able to replace them with better ones as long they are the same type. That being said, I'd also do a lot more research before attempting it.

Sudden power loss can cause loss of data and damaged computer components. Looks like the batteries in the link have some sort of holding mechanism that locks it in place

most important is that the charging and discharging curves are the same and that the safe operating temperatures and (dis)charge rates are the same.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

most important is that the charging and discharging curves are the same and that the safe operating temperatures and (dis)charge rates are the same.

What makes the charging and discharging curves important?

31 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

What makes the charging and discharging curves important?

because it can fuck with charging circuitry. aka make it go up in flames. you never know how it will behave if it gets to handle something it was never designed to handle.

1 hour ago, tlink said:

because it can fuck with charging circuitry. aka make it go up in flames. you never know how it will behave if it gets to handle something it was never designed to handle.

Just select a standard 18650 and the charge circuitry will take care of the rest. I've rebuilt laptop batteries before.

9 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

That pack doesn't look too hard to rebuild. Most laptop batteries are a one way dissasembly.

Yeah, most of the packs that I have e taken apart have been clipped and glued together, meaning that I had to use the "vice of knowledge" and "pliers of justice" :)

`

1 hour ago, klh2000 said:

Yeah, most of the packs that I have e taken apart have been clipped and glued together, meaning that I had to use the "vice of knowledge" and "pliers of justice" :)

The cheap chinese ones can usually be taken apart by twisting the case

On 10/24/2016 at 10:40 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

That pack doesn't look too hard to rebuild. Most laptop batteries are a one way dissasembly.

On 10/24/2016 at 10:39 AM, Lyte Starr said:

It should be simple to replace the batteries yourself if your a comfortable with soldering.

As far as my knowledge goes, I'm not a expert, you should also be able to replace them with better ones as long they are the same type. That being said, I'd also do a lot more research before attempting it.

19 hours ago, klh2000 said:

@CUDA_Cores

This was the disassembly of the battery http://imgur.com/a/zx1Gp ( If it ruined, its ruined, it needed to be replaced either way. Is it ruined?)

Imgur is bugging out for me and saying image isn't there, but clicking on them to zoom in shows them!

I would appreciate your feedback on if i'm able to put this back together easily and make it work, knowing I've never done something like this (I did re-solder on like 25 SMB LEDs on my cars speedometer PCB before though). How exactly would I redo the connections and have it work?

Could someone explain the various parts? There is a red wire, black wire (+ and -?), as well as linking metal flaps between batteries. There was also a weird yellow block glued onto the side of one battery with black stuff (temp sensor?).  On the last battery one metal flap also connected back to the plastic module that connects the batteries to the laptop, what is this, is that a ground?

It would cost like $68 without shipping for an entire new unit, but only $20 for 3 new 18650 batteries with 17% more capacity; but If I mess up, then i'm out $88. In-Depth help is greatly appreciated.

First off, you will need pre tabbed lithium cells, or a spotwelder. You shouldn't solder onto the bare cells. Also, what is your source of new cells? Ebay is not a good place.

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

First off, you will need pre tabbed lithium cells, or a spotwelder. You shouldn't solder onto the bare cells. Also, what is your source of new cells? Ebay is not a good place.

I bought some highly rated cells off of amazon. After looking into the tabs, I don't think mine are pre-tabbed, But I do have some mostly intact remains of the previous tabs, I can straighten them back out. What metal do they have to be? Can I make my own from some scrap aluminium? What function do they accomplish? 

I don't have access to a spot welder, I do have a soldering iron.

In theory you can and it really wouldn't be that hard to do, but there is a safety factor involved here. Unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and how to do it correctly i wouldn't mess with it. Not worth the fire risk imo. Id just get the eom battery. If you are to blame for a fire caused by a diy laptop battery, your home insurance can strait up screw you over.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

I bought some highly rated cells off of amazon. After looking into the tabs, I don't think mine are pre-tabbed, But I do have some mostly intact remains of the previous tabs, I can straighten them back out. What metal do they have to be? Can I make my own from some scrap aluminium? What function do they accomplish? 

I don't have access to a spot welder, I do have a soldering iron.

The tabs are spotwelded to the original cells, its the only proper way to attach them.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

The tabs are spotwelded to the original cells, its the only proper way to attach them.

This is LTT forums here, any less than optimal work-arounds? The batteries were bought, I have nothing to lose by trying (while obviously taking proper precautions when working with the batteries).

4 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

This is LTT forums here, any less than optimal work-arounds? The batteries were bought, I have nothing to lose by trying (while obviously taking proper precautions when working with the batteries).

I would post in the EEVBlog forums, or send them to me, I have a spotwelder