Skylake Voltage

Efanel

How much is too much voltage on skylake? some people say you can go up to 1.45V, and be on 1.4V without worrying, but my motherboard voltage numbers turned red when I tried to set them at higher than 1.35v and I wanted somebody to give me their thoughts on this matter 

I'm getting 4.4Ghz with 1.32V but to get to 4.5Ghz 1.36V is not enough and I wanted to see what you guys think before I try any further

Also I have a Cooler Master 212 EVO

I wouldn't, 0.05v for a 100mhz difference.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Given that you have a 212 EVO, do not go over that 1.32v mark.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1.3 is the max that I would go 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Try using LLC. It will require less voltage to be stable.

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

I searched about that LLC feature and it looks awesome and seems to be exactly what I need, and it seems like my motherboard is the only Z170A Gaming series motherboard from MSI that doesn't support it...

Regarding the voltages, everyone is suggesting me to not go beyond 1.3/1.32V, and I thank you very much for your opinion, but in this tutorials (the msi one using a motherboard that is almost the same as mine, and a cooler that is almost the same as mine), people use 1.4V as a start... So I figure I can go up to 1.4V, what are your thoughts on this and why do you think the tutorials are wrong/not applicable in my case?

https://www.msi.com/blog/detail/skylake-z170-overclocking-experience-247-air-water-and-sub-zero-cooling-oc-results

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics (see "overclocking guide")

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Efanel said:

So I figure I can go up to 1.4V, what are your thoughts on this and why do you think the tutorials are wrong/not applicable in my case?

What was your cooler again? Oh, a hyper 212, not a 240mm AIO. That's why you can't up the voltage further, lack of a good cooler.

28 minutes ago, Efanel said:

I searched about that LLC feature and it looks awesome and seems to be exactly what I need, and it seems like my motherboard is the only Z170A Gaming series motherboard from MSI that doesn't support it.

What was your mobo's model again?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1.3/1.32v is a good limit if you really want to make your cpu last longer.

I assume the 1.4v is for people that either don't care about frying their cpu or who are using 1.4v as a starting point for overclocking. They would then slowly dial it back, not leave it at 1.4v.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

What was your cooler again? Oh, a hyper 212, not a 240mm AIO. That's why you can't up the voltage further, lack of a good cooler.

What was your mobo's model again?

msi z170a gaming m5

im think of buying a corsair h100 or something like that for christmas, just wanted to see what i can do with my cooler until then

11 minutes ago, JJS76 said:

1.3/1.32v is a good limit if you really want to make your cpu last longer.

I assume the 1.4v is for people that either don't care about frying their cpu or who are using 1.4v as a starting point for overclocking. They would then slowly dial it back, not leave it at 1.4v.

Thanks! But I'm getting like 73ºC max testing with Prime95 with 1.32V, shouldn't that mean I have room for some more? Or do the voltage itself hurt the CPU? I thought it was just the temperature...

Also, can I increase the voltage some more with a liquid cooler?

@Efanel

I try to keep voltage under 1.3 with air coolers, 1.35 won't hurt too much.

As far as water goes not really sure, I'm cheap and have never tried an AIO before.

As far as heat vs Voltage

Some passive components, such as capacitors have a max voltage rating, which if exceeded can result in failure of the dielectric (insulator) resulting in excessive current, and ultimately smoke. Generally, exceeding voltage ratings of passive compnents causes insulation failure. With active components, excessive voltage will cause a breakdown of the internal junctions of the diode, transistor, etc, which will also allow excessive current, heat and some smoke.

So both are bad for wiring and electronics, I'm cheap, so I do everything on the safe side. I don't want to fry my cpu. But I'm definitely over cautious, so most likely you will be perfectly fine under 1.4v if temp isn't too high.

1 hour ago, JJS76 said:

@Efanel

I try to keep voltage under 1.3 with air coolers, 1.35 won't hurt too much.

As far as water goes not really sure, I'm cheap and have never tried an AIO before.

As far as heat vs Voltage

Some passive components, such as capacitors have a max voltage rating, which if exceeded can result in failure of the dielectric (insulator) resulting in excessive current, and ultimately smoke. Generally, exceeding voltage ratings of passive compnents causes insulation failure. With active components, excessive voltage will cause a breakdown of the internal junctions of the diode, transistor, etc, which will also allow excessive current, heat and some smoke.

So both are bad for wiring and electronics, I'm cheap, so I do everything on the safe side. I don't want to fry my cpu. But I'm definitely over cautious, so most likely you will be perfectly fine under 1.4v if temp isn't too high.

I understand, I really don't want to fry my CPU either, just trying to understand better the limits and the whole concept of overclocking since I'm quite new to this

Thanks for your opinion, I'll probably wait until I get an AIO before trying higher clock speeds

1 hour ago, Efanel said:

I understand, I really don't want to fry my CPU either, just trying to understand better the limits and the whole concept of overclocking since I'm quite new to this

Thanks for your opinion, I'll probably wait until I get an AIO before trying higher clock speeds

Good luck?

According to the Intel datasheet, all Skylake chips have an absolute maximum of 1.52V.

1.4 is typically considered safe.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit