Uplay PC Client support ending soon for Windows XP

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. I quite like Minecraft and yet that was released in 2011. I also like, BF4 released in 2013.

My concern for UWP is that it removes control from the user. On the console platform, this isn't a big problem as consoles allow for little user control anyway,  however on the PC where the nature of the platform is to allow user control, UWP isn't a compromise that some (including myself) are willing to make. 

Some of my favorite games, I've had to borderline piece together as DirectDraw support is broken in Windows 10 (broken as in 10 fps slow). Without direct access to the files, playing these games would not be natively possible on Windows 10 (without aid of a VM). In addition, as the original developers have gone out of business, updates are never to come. 

In addition, I also use console emulators extensively for my gaming. In fact, very little of my gaming is spent on anything modern. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 10/15/2016 at 10:39 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

In other news, the US closes its last Civil War field hospital...

Really Ubi, it took you this long? xD 

I for one am glad they kept support for longer rather than cutting it short which happens too often.

On 10/15/2016 at 10:55 AM, ivan134 said:

Good

Windows 7 is not that old and many people prefer it. It is definitely far too early to kill windows 7, need to kill vista first

11 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I for one am glad they kept support for longer rather than cutting it short which happens too often.

Yeah cutting support early is never a good thing but they could have very easily dropped support for XP back in 2014 at the latest, if not sooner.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah cutting support early is never a good thing but they could have very easily dropped support for XP back in 2014 at the latest, if not sooner.

TBH even cutting Windows XP later was still good. Because it gave my Grandmother a reason to replace her Asus A3H (Celeron M380 1.6GHz, 512MB DDR2 400, 60GB HDD) with my Mum's old Compaq CQ60 (upgraded to Windows 7, 4GB DDR2 800, 45nm dual core Pentium 2GHz, 750GB HDD-no further upgrades possible).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

57 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But is it really a bad thing? The way people are reacting it seems like as if they are saying Wow why did it take you so long? instead of, thanks for holding out!

Just now, bobhays said:

But is it really a bad thing? The way people are reacting it seems like as if they are saying Wow why did it take you so long? instead of, thanks for holding out!

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying :P  Presumably, it takes some amount of effort to continue to support these old OSes, and that's wasted effort they could be putting towards something else if they didn't have to, so the sooner they can stop supporting them the better.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

People hate change. This is why Windows 7 is still such a "big" thing for the -majority- of people. I remember when the UI changed from XP to Vista and 7, people were all die-hard about XP like how people are all die-hard with 7 right now. Every one of my friends computers I have used have been faster on Windows 10 then they were on 7 it's just a faster and more responsive OS.

Being faster than Win7 is hardly an achievement.  Even Vista is faster than Win7 thanks to all the bloat they kept adding to the latter. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying :P  Presumably, it takes some amount of effort to continue to support these old OSes, and that's wasted effort they could be putting towards something else if they didn't have to, so the sooner they can stop supporting them the better.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a lot of extra effort to make sure it works on xp. I mean they have it working for vista, 7, 8, and 10. Adding xp to the list shouldn't be a huge deal and won't make the other version any better. That being said I don't blame them for dropping it because it is past time.

5 minutes ago, bobhays said:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't take a lot of extra effort to make sure it works on xp. I mean they have it working for vista, 7, 8, and 10. Adding xp to the list shouldn't be a huge deal and won't make the other version any better. That being said I don't blame them for dropping it because it is past time.

It's not just the time invested but also compatibility.  Not saying it was necessarily the case here, but in general, being held back by an old system that doesn't support modern things is never good.  Imagine if all webpages were still trying to support IE6? xD