Problem With Corsair H100i V2

Go to solution Solved by bringnit0,

Yeah thats a bad pump then.. Sorry dude i hate when stuff fails..

So my professor and I built my PC around May 2016 and I've been using it since. Didn't ran into any problems and assumed everything's okay until now. When I booted it up earlier this morning, instead of booting up Windows, it instead went into the POST screen which didn't happen before. The CPU LED on the motherboard is lit red. On the POST screen, there's an error saying "CPU Fan speed error detected." (images below). After a while, another error comes up, "CPU Over Temperature Error!" When I ran the BIOS setup, the CPU temps were at 88°C idle and the FAN Profile doesn't detect the CPU Fan (even though the cooler is connected to the CPU_FAN header). I've read some forums online and some were saying that ASUS mobos are faulty sometimes and may display really high temps and RealTemp says otherwise. I then set the CPU Temp and Fan Speed Monitoring to "Ignore" so I can reach the Windows boot screen. When Windows had booted up, I ran RealTemp and the temps are at 90°C to 100°C idle.

I'm guessing the problem could be A) The CPU cooler is faulty, B) the cooler isn't mounted properly, C) Bad thermal compound, D) the CPU itself is faulty (which I hopefully not)

Sys:

Intel Core i7-6700K
Corsair H100i V2
ASUS Z170-A
Corsair RM850x

Note: Never OC'ed the CPU and is running at stock speeds; the radiator fans are in a push configuration upwards; using the pre-applied thermal compound

Any help/suggestions?

Did you check to make sure the fan plug for the water pump is plugged in all the way? and that the cooler fans are also?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

The fan header on the motherboard needs to be disabled so that the pump runs at 100% at full 12v.

Newer motherboards have a "pump" fan header which is always at 100%.

You need to make sure that the fan header the H100i is plugged into is set to full voltage in the UEFI.

You can also use a molex to 3 pin fan adapter if you don't want to deal with UEFI/BIOS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I plugged the CPU block plug into the W_PUMP header on the board yet the CPU temps are still at 89°C (BIOS) and yeah, the plugs are inserted properly.

I would send that cooler back. Id say you have a bad pump.. I also wouldnt use it until you do. with those temps you are bound to start degradation on your cpu.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

The fan header on the motherboard needs to be disabled so that the pump runs at 100% at full 12v.

Newer motherboards have a "pump" fan header which is always at 100%.

You need to make sure that the fan header the H100i is plugged into is set to full voltage in the UEFI.

You can also use a molex to 3 pin fan adapter if you don't want to deal with UEFI/BIOS.

The BIOS shows "N/A" on the water pump indicating that it doesn't detect the cooler even though the CPU block is connected to the W_PUMP header, just like the CPU fan header.

29 minutes ago, bringnit0 said:

I would send that cooler back. Id say you have a bad pump.. I also wouldnt use it until you do. with those temps you are bound to start degradation on your cpu.

My professor said the same. Told me to send it back and have it replaced or find a different cooler. Though I'll wait for further suggestions from other users for now

7 minutes ago, PoncianoIII said:

The BIOS shows "N/A" on the water pump indicating that it doesn't detect the cooler even though the CPU block is connected to the W_PUMP header, just like the CPU fan header.

My professor said the same. Told me to send it back and have it replaced or find a different cooler. Though I'll wait for further suggestions from other users for now

As long as you're sure you plugged it in right, then RMA it or try testing it on another motherboard or a molex to 3 pin fan adapter.

If it doesn't work on the molex adapter then it is 100% dead.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

have you tried connecting it into cpu 1??n I have always used that channel and set fan curves

23 minutes ago, bringnit0 said:

have you tried connecting it into cpu 1??n I have always used that channel and set fan curves

I've tested it on every fan header and same results. Every time I boot it up, the CPU temps always rise up to 89°C gradually

57 minutes ago, bringnit0 said:

Man, this sucks. I guess I won't be able to use my PC until a new cooler is installed. Really bad timing. I have finals 3 days away and still have a lot of school projects to do.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, guys. This forum is indeed helpful. It's my first time starting a topic here...

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo or another monitoring software that is monitoring the AIO sensors at the same time as Link? Look at my signature for a possible fix. If that doesn't fix it the pump is probably dead and you likely need to RMA.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

10 hours ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo or another monitoring software that is monitoring the AIO sensors at the same time as Link? Look at my signature for a possible fix. If that doesn't fix it the pump is probably dead and you likely need to RMA.

I tried both the AIDA64 and the HWiNFO solution but the CPU is still hot and toasty. RealTemp and Link are showing 89°C - 100°C on each core. Likely gonna RMA

On 10/15/2016 at 10:53 AM, Enderman said:

As long as you're sure you plugged it in right, then RMA it

On 10/15/2016 at 10:13 AM, bringnit0 said:

I would send that cooler back.

Since I'm gonna RMA this cooler, is it safe to leave the CPU exposed or there should be at least a temporary cooler mounted while the H100i V2 is undergoing RMA?

2 hours ago, PoncianoIII said:

Since I'm gonna RMA this cooler, is it safe to leave the CPU exposed or there should be at least a temporary cooler mounted while the H100i V2 is undergoing RMA?

There needs to be a cooler on it.

You also need to clean off the thermal paste and reapply new paste every time you change cooler.

Spoiler