MSI rx 480 8gb or msi gtx 1060 6gb

ToastyTavi

I was thinking about getting the 1060 for a while but I'm thinking about getting the rx 480 even though right now the 1060 has a slight edge. Here are my reasons.

1. rx 480 has more video memory, although it wont all be used it could be counted as future proofing because games are continuously using more and more of it.

2. rx 480 has an edge in vulcan and DX12 (dx 12 appears to be only slight)

3. rx 480 can be crossfired and works pretty well, this can be seen as a disadvantage in some case but game devs are continuously adding crossfire support

*I know the disadvantages and such and I am not an intel, amd, nvidia fanboy. I am just looking for the best thing for the price.

In this case, I think that the RX480 wins. the 1060 will be more powerful, but it will also cost more. 480 is best value for money

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

In this case, I think that the RX480 wins. the 1060 will be more powerful, but it will also cost more. 480 is best value for money

I've looked on newegg and the only difference between most aftermarket 1060 6g's and aftermarket fx 480 8gb is about $10-$15

9 minutes ago, ToastyTavi said:

I was thinking about getting the 1060 for a while but I'm thinking about getting the rx 480 even though right now the 1060 has a slight edge. Here are my reasons.

1. rx 480 has more video memory, although it wont all be used it could be counted as future proofing because games are continuously using more and more of it.

3. rx 480 can be crossfired and works pretty well, this can be seen as a disadvantage in some case but game devs are continuously adding crossfire support

*I know the disadvantages and such and I am not an intel, amd, nvidia fanboy. I am just looking for the best thing for the price.

Go 480, and make sure to plan on getting a Freesync monitor sometime in the future. And make sure not to get an ASUS or Gigabyte one.

Just now, ToastyTavi said:

I've looked on newegg and the only difference between most aftermarket 1060 6g's and aftermarket fx 480 8gb is about $10-$15

Well in that case it really depends what games you want to play. if you're into Nvidia titles like Witcher 3, get an Nvidia card. if you like stuff such as DOOM or HITMAN, get AMD. if you like neither, I would go with AMD, because freesync monitors are much easier to find and cheaper than G-sync, and AMD cards tend to have longer support and optimization than Nvidia cards (Not trying to start flame war tho)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I would get an RX 480 because of Freesync. G-sync monitors are expensive, while Freesync monitors are basically everywhere.

Skyggeis Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive 
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case Satin Black
PSU: Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular PSU
WiFi Card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2
Case Fan: Aerocool DS 140mm Black 93.4 CFM
Other: Coolermaster VGA Holder
Other: Phanteks LED Strip 1M
Other: Phanteks Fan Splitter

Monitor: Dell S2716DG

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well in that case it really depends what games you want to play. if you're into Nvidia titles like Witcher 3, get an Nvidia card. if you like stuff such as DOOM or HITMAN, get AMD. if you like neither, I would go with AMD, because freesync monitors are much easier to find and cheaper than G-sync, and AMD cards tend to have longer support and optimization than Nvidia cards (Not trying to start flame war tho)

I feel like game devs should make it so there is no bias on the performance depending on the brand you get

2 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

It's not bias, it's optimization. This isn't a news organization m8, some games are just better optimized for one architecture over the other.

What I meant was that game devs should make it so that the game performs equally on the 2 styles of architecture

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Go 480, and make sure to plan on getting a Freesync monitor sometime in the future. And make sure not to get an ASUS or Gigabyte one.

Strix 480 is great

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 hours ago, ToastyTavi said:

The 8gb vs 6gb of vram won't make much of a difference as by the time you get to games that utilizes 6gb of vram both cards won't be able to run the game well. I mean if I theoretically slapped 8gb of ram on an old card like a gtx 770 it won't make much of a difference because it can't run games well that require that much vram.

I suggest you reading up my article! It got a aftermarket RX480 tier list in it.

As for your question, I need to ask you first. Do you have a monitor right now?

If not, get a RX480 with a Freesync panel.
If you have a monitor, gtx 1060.

The GTX 1060 6GB is the better card. Better performance and lower power consumption are the two stand out points.

The only viable reason to go for the RX 480 8GB in your scenario is if you have or plan to get a FreeSync monitor.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Rx480 if you are planning to keep the card for 3-5 years and you're getting a Freesync monitor which is a great investment. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

5 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

The GTX 1060 6GB is the better card. Better performance and lower power consumption are the two stand out points.

The only viable reason to go for the RX 480 8GB in your scenario is if you have or plan to get a FreeSync monitor.

I do plan on getting a free-sync monitor

1 hour ago, ToastyTavi said:

I do plan on getting a free-sync monitor

Then get the RX 480.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

10 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

What's wrong with ASUS?

(Says the owner of an ASUS VG248QE. lol)

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's wrong with ASUS?

(Says the owner of an ASUS VG248QE. lol)

Probably because of the old myth. Since Asus screwed up...I think the 290X cooler. People have been saying Asus cards are bad, all of them. They just repeat what others are saying, and then becomes an urban legend.

According to "Actually Hardcore Overclocking", who analysis all the PCB boards and components of different RX480s. Asus by far has the best board with the best VRM.

3 hours ago, Deli said:

Probably because of the old myth. Since Asus screwed up...I think the 290X cooler. People have been saying Asus cards are bad, all of them. They just repeat what others are saying, and then becomes an urban legend.

According to "Actually Hardcore Overclocking", who analysis all the PCB boards and components of different RX480s. Asus by far has the best board with the best VRM.

Really? I thought the XFX aftermarket one could get like a 50% oc

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Really? I thought the XFX aftermarket one could get like a 50% oc

OC is very much down to the luck of silicon lottery. Just because Jay's card can do 1475MHz. Doesn't mean all XFX GTR can. I have a Sapphire Nitro 8GB myself. I read some reviews they can only hit 1370MHz or so. While mine can do 1460MHz. Silicon lottery, silicon lottery, man.

However I still think XFX, MSI or Asus will be better choices because of the cooler. The cooler of the Sapphire Nitro for some reasons cannot quite keep up if I really push the clock speed.

15 hours ago, ToastyTavi said:

First thing to note: I'm an Nvidia fan.

But I vote for the 480.
I think that currently, AMD has more potential for the next 2-3 years which you'd expect out of a card you purchase at this day and the 480 should do well.
6gb vram is plenty but ofc 8gb is more. I wouldn't favour either because of this.
A big thing is the lack of SLI for the 1060. While not many people SLI, the whole SLI fiasco they got going on with the 1060s is pretty silly.

Ultimately, I'd go with AMD if you can get it for the same or cheaper price. 
If it's more than $20 extra, I'd go with Nvidia.

5 hours ago, Deli said:

It was both the 200 and 300 series that Asus fucked up.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 hours ago, Deli said:

Ah.  I must've been too tired.  I'd thought he was saying ASUS was a bad choice for a Freesync monitor.

So I got a little worried since even though I don't have a Freesync monitor my monitor is still made by ASUS.  

If if I ever got an AMD card I think I might just get a Sapphire card.  I've heard they're one of the best brands for AMD GPUs.  

Though I'll have to remember that about the 480.  In case I might ever get one.

18 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

It was both the 200 and 300 series that Asus fucked up.

I remember EVGA also had a mis-align heatpipes cooler for 970. MSI cards has massive recall in China. And now it's the turn for Gigabyte to screw up the RX480.

At least so far for this generation, both the Nvidia and AMD variants, Asus has done a solid job.