989 ti temps at full load

Bion1985
1 hour ago, Bion1985 said:

Yea frome what I've found it looks like only 4 screws. As far as new thermal paste a quality cpu paste is ok like Artic mx 4 that I have around correct?

Yeah, that sounds okay. You will need a lot of alcohol and cotton swabs to get the existing GPU thermal paste off...they put a ton of thermal paste on it. Be super careful of the tiny capacitors on the top of the GPU chip. It is very easy to accidently push too hard with your cotton swab and break them off.

10 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, that sounds okay. You will need a lot of alcohol and cotton swabs to get the existing GPU thermal paste off...they put a ton of thermal paste on it. Be super careful of the tiny capacitors on the top of the GPU chip. It is very easy to accidently push too hard with your cotton swab and break them off.

Repasted was tons of gunk on there. Temps are now like 8-10c cooler plus quiter.

1 minute ago, Bion1985 said:

Repasted was tons of gunk on there. Temps are now like 8-10c cooler plus quiter.

Yeah, I remember my 980 Ti...it took me a long time and some scraping to get all of the factory themal paste off of it. I usually sand the base of the heatsink, but you need a lot of sandpaper / really high grits of it. Happy to hear you had a good drop in temps like I did though.

37 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I remember my 980 Ti...it took me a long time and some scraping to get all of the factory themal paste off of it. I usually sand the base of the heatsink, but you need a lot of sandpaper / really high grits of it. Happy to hear you had a good drop in temps like I did though.

Yea max temployees overclocked now is 76c and it's way quiter than it was running prior plus it's cooler.

9 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

No it's not. For reference maybe but after market coolers should not break 80C. My amp extreme, a 2.5 slot design never goes above 67C with an over less then 20mhz away from 1600mhz. Not to mention the memory OCed to the moon

Yes of course. Amp extreme. Maybe it never occured to you that other cards out there don't have a behemoth of a cooler. 

Op's heatsink doesn't carry the same cooling capacity as yours and its much similar to mine (msi gaming). Of course ambient temp is different for us. Give me your ambient temps and heatsink and i can garuntee my card will never cross 65*C with my current setup. 

For reference my 390x never crossed 69*C with 2.5 slot cooler(with the same mod). 

Though maybe modded 4k skyrim puts more load on a card than a normal game would.

Edit: hmmm why does my post sound so mean? Rest assured i have no ill intentions 

On 10/13/2016 at 9:22 PM, Ertyrty said:

Yes of course. Amp extreme. Maybe it never occured to you that other cards out there don't have a behemoth of a cooler. 

Op's heatsink doesn't carry the same cooling capacity as yours and its much similar to mine (msi gaming). Of course ambient temp is different for us. Give me your ambient temps and heatsink and i can garuntee my card will never cross 65*C with my current setup. 

For reference my 390x never crossed 69*C with 2.5 slot cooler(with the same mod). 

Though maybe modded 4k skyrim puts more load on a card than a normal game would.

Edit: hmmm why does my post sound so mean? Rest assured i have no ill intentions 

So my temps sound right now? Sorry I ocd a bit. With the repaste and a custom fan curve that puts fans at 70% at like 75c I get 75-76c. If I use stock curve it's around 79-80c. This is with the card overcloxked to +109mhz. Just want to make sure I didn't add too much paste myself lol.

1 hour ago, Bion1985 said:

So my temps sound right now? Sorry I ocd a bit. With the repaste and a custom fan curve that puts fans at 70% at like 75c I get 75-76c. If I use stock curve it's around 79-80c. This is with the card overcloxked to +109mhz. Just want to make sure I didn't add too much paste myself lol.

Yeap, its inline to what i was getting without the fan mod.