MOBOS: Gigabyte vs Msi vs Asus

I've had good experience with Asus motherboards. MSI works, but I had some driver issues. Gigabyte is also recommended.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I've had good experience with Asus motherboards. MSI works, but I had some driver issues. Gigabyte is also recommended.

and the overclocking is simple?

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I've only used MSI bored's and NEVER had any problems with them whatsoever

Specifically the a78m-e35, and MSI Gaming 5 Z97

nice :)

ASUS has never dissapointed me (none of their motherboards ever died on me, even after for example 7 years of almost non-stop use). But to be quite honest I think these days the differences within the brands are bigger than the differences between the brands. All of them make cheapo budget boards that suck feature-wise and can be a bit of a gamble. All of them have high-end lines that offer more than you'd ever need with great reliability to boot. You pretty much get what you pay for.

Likewise, RMA rates vary more between different models from the same brand than they do between the different brands. Luck almost seems to play more of a role than choice of brand (unless you're really able to delve into the statistics of individual models, but even then its usually a gamble on not being the unlucky 2%).

3 minutes ago, flips2K said:

and the overclocking is simple?

The UI is slightly different, but ASUS and MSI both provide the necessary options for overclocking and they are easy to find so I did not have any issue with it on either board.

Can't tell about Gigabyte, haven't had one.

As for my MSI board - forgot to add earlier, it was the Killer ethernet chip, that was giving me headaches with drivers. Otherwise the board (MSI Z97 Gaming 7) worked great and I didn't have any other issues with it.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

It varies.

In the case of high-end mobos, ASUS is perfect.

For low cost and reasonable stability, ASRock will be my favourite.

5 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

It varies.

In the case of high-end mobos, ASUS is perfect.

For low cost and reasonable stability, ASRock will be my favourite.

They are called As-isrock for a reason :P 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I have always used ASUS.  Though all of those are Taiwanese brands and are probably made in a factory just down a block from each other somewhere in Hsinchu.

The thing I don't like about Gigabyte boards is that they don't have a quick setting for adaptive voltage in the BIOS resulting in kind of high idle temps. You have to use offset voltage or something which for me didn't work when my CPU was overclocked. I'm not buying Gigabyte boards anymore. 

ASRock: affordable but some of their choices bug me like straight SATA ports.
MSI: That military build quality, So solid. If only they put rear covers on their IO on the midrange ones.  They would seal the deal for me.
Gigabyte: They are quite nice but the lack of RGB Leds on their boards where they could really make me scratch my head. But, they have ram shielding and some good audio dac.
ASUS: Good quality but kinda overpriced. No PCIE shielding and so much ads.

I will firstly start to say that with motherboards it pretty much depends on the platform and price point you are looking at.

Most of the time you pretty much get what you pay for.

Some add a bit more some add a bit less.

Now without going into certain motherboard models but rather keep it simple by brand.

My personaly preference list.

1: Asus

2: Gigabyte  (now days)

3: Asrock.

4: EVGA

5: Super micro.

Asrock vs EVGA is sometimes a difficult one.

EVGA makes some very sollid X99 and Z170 boards.

But they sometimes do suffer from simple dumbish design flaws.

Asrock lately makes some very decent motherboards.

Especialy on X99 but also certain Z170 models aswell.

But what they do best is packing the boards with feutures that matter.

instead of shit that doesnt matter like RGB.

They offer very good value for money.

Its just sad that Yellow doesnt sell realy well.

Because that Asrock Z170 OC Formula is realy a beast of a board.

But Asus in my opinion is king of the hill wenn it comes to their higherend boards like the Deluxe or the ROG series.

They just have pretty much the best components on them.

And pretty much the best bios imo.

But Gigabyte also has a couple of very very good boards.

Its just that Gigabyte still misses that last piece of perfection in my opinion.

So for Asrock if any of you guys read this.

Tell Nick Shi to drop the Yellow design on the Formula boards.

And make them pitch black with some Chrome or Gold color accents. :D

I think a pitch black OC Formula with Gold color accents on the chipset heatsink, and Gold colored re-enforced pci-e and maybe memory slots.

Gold colored X99 Logo on the VRM heasink.

I think that would look realy epic, especialy in combination with the 12K Nichicon Goldplated caps on the board.

2 hours ago, Sintezza said:

So for Asrock if any of you guys read this.

Tell Nick Shi to drop the Yellow design on the Formula boards.

And make them pitch black with some Chrome or Gold color accents. :D

I think a pitch black OC Formula with Gold color accents on the chipset heatsink, and Gold colored re-enforced pci-e and maybe memory slots.

Gold colored X99 Logo on the VRM heasink.

I think that would look realy epic, especialy in combination with the 12K Nichicon Goldplated caps on the board.

The Fatal1ty line's design suck. Orange-ish Red and black? Unless you're Linus then you'd grab it for an LTT themed build although he already did that.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

8 hours ago, FRN said:

The Fatal1ty line's design suck. Orange-ish Red and black? Unless you're Linus then you'd grab it for an LTT themed build although he already did that.

Depends on which Fatal1ty board your talking about.

The latest X99 Fatal1ty gaming pro and the Asus Z170 Fatal1ty i7 gaming have a realy nice design if you ask me.

They are also nicely build.

But of course looks and taste is personal.

I mainly look at how the build quality of a motherboard is.

How the vrm is build up, and which particular components they use.

And of course what kind of feutures and connectvitiy it offers for the money.

Looks are less important to me personaly.

But i do understand that gamers in particular do prefer looks.

i mainly look at the technical details of a motherboard.

Especialy on the vrm, but also the other components arround the board aswell.

I have been doing vrm analytics on motherboards pretty much since the X58 era.

And recently wenn all the drama nonsense about the RX480 going out of pci-e specs jada jada.

I also look at GPU pcb´s.

Asus --> gigabyte --> msi

IMO !!!

But, they are all great brands, you should make your choice based on needs, style, reviews, price, and what brand you trust, prefer...

9 hours ago, smokefest said:

Asus --> gigabyte --> msi

IMO !!!

But, they are all great brands, you should make your choice based on needs, style, reviews, price, and what brand you trust, prefer...

Yeah we can yammer that anyone doesn't have to spend much on a motherboard as it doesn't affect performance overall, but still, who doesn't love a bad-ass looking motherboard?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

Honestly I don't care what it looks like. That's why my case doesn't have a window. But what I (and many other people) do care about is the motherboard not dying on you. 

It's a shame that reliability is really very difficult to test in reviews while it's probably the most important differentiator between some of these products.

• 2 years later...
On 10/13/2016 at 8:59 AM, Sintezza said:

I will firstly start to say that with motherboards it pretty much depends on the platform and price point you are looking at.

Most of the time you pretty much get what you pay for.

Some add a bit more some add a bit less.

Now without going into certain motherboard models but rather keep it simple by brand.

My personaly preference list.

1: Asus

2: Gigabyte  (now days)

3: Asrock.

4: EVGA

5: Super micro.

Asrock vs EVGA is sometimes a difficult one.

EVGA makes some very sollid X99 and Z170 boards.

But they sometimes do suffer from simple dumbish design flaws.

Asrock lately makes some very decent motherboards.

Especialy on X99 but also certain Z170 models aswell.

But what they do best is packing the boards with feutures that matter.

instead of shit that doesnt matter like RGB.

They offer very good value for money.

Its just sad that Yellow doesnt sell realy well.

Because that Asrock Z170 OC Formula is realy a beast of a board.

But Asus in my opinion is king of the hill wenn it comes to their higherend boards like the Deluxe or the ROG series.

They just have pretty much the best components on them.

And pretty much the best bios imo.

But Gigabyte also has a couple of very very good boards.

Its just that Gigabyte still misses that last piece of perfection in my opinion.

Where the hell is MSI? Haha..