What is the importance of high end motherboards and how do i recognize them?

atavax

So if i don't want to overclock, why shouldn't I just buy the cheapest motherboard with the features I want? Also, how can I tell a quality motherboard over a lower quality motherboard without just assuming the one that costs more is higher quality?

1 minute ago, atavax said:

So if i don't want to overclock, why shouldn't I just buy the cheapest motherboard with the features I want? Also, how can I tell a quality motherboard over a lower quality motherboard without just assuming the one that costs more is higher quality?

if your not overclocking go for it. Just look at reviews and make sure the motherboard doesnt have a tendency to die on people and you should be good. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

So if i don't want to overclock, why shouldn't I just buy the cheapest motherboard with the features I want? 

Yes.

2 minutes ago, atavax said:

Also, how can I tell a quality motherboard over a lower quality motherboard without just assuming the one that costs more is higher quality?

It's mainly for oc'ing. Look at some reviews. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Reviews. Likes of Tom Hardware do great reviews. Look at the chipset name as well.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Like i know i've heard of some have particularly good integrated audio. Are there some that have particularly good usb or spdif?

get the cheapest one with the features you want basically

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's mainly about features that come with the motherboard, but buying the legit cheapest one you can find isn't a good idea either. Asus and ASrock are known for quality boards. Gigabyte and MSI too

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 minutes ago, atavax said:

Like i know i've heard of some have particularly good integrated audio. Are there some that have particularly good usb or spdif?

Audio is pretty solid across the board nowadays. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really into audio and can't get a dedicated solution for some reason. 

Some in-depth reviews have gone into the performance of ports in the past but it's rarely any substantial difference.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Audio is pretty solid across the board nowadays. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're really into audio and can't get a dedicated solution for some reason. 

its more like i have a dedicated solution, and want to make sure that by buying a cheap board i am not lowering the quality through a cheaper usb or spdif

its more like i have a dedicated solution, and want to make sure that by buying a cheap board i am not lowering the quality through a cheaper usb or spdif

I'm not sure but I don't think it's anything to lose sleep over. That seems more like a question on audio and digital noise if you really want to get into it.

18 minutes ago, atavax said:

If your not overclocking, just look at the best reviewed boards that support your CPU. Also take into consideration the total number of Sata ports on the board, the total supported ram capacity, and if it supports additional graphics or sound cards. Those things make a difference on how much life you get out of It.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/