green pixels at 144hz

pixelmunky

hi all, my first post please be kind :)

i just bought an aoc g2460pg off ebay as i wanted a 144hz monitor. i spoke to the seller who said it was ex display and apart from a few scratches on the stand the screen was a-grade. when it arrived i set it all up and installed the drivers for the monitor, i switched the refresh rate to 144hz in nvidia control panel and i ended up with green pixels on the screen. i decided to try a game and when i loaded up rise of the tombraider there was green pixels everywhere. these pixels are not static and seem to move depending what is going on on screen. i bought 3 new dp cables to try but none of them have made a difference. so i started messing with the refresh rate in nvidia cp, if i turn the refresh rate down to 120hz the green pixels disappear, if i then try playing a game and change the refresh rate in game to 144hz then the pixels reappear until i quit back to desktop, 120hz is fine but 144hz is a no no. in rise of the tombraider if i set the desktop refresh rate to 100hz then in game i change it to 144hz then i get no green pixels but i have only tried it on the options screen not actually playing the game, any other game i try this with i still get the green pixels. i have tried going into safe mode and uninstalling the nvidia drivers with ddu and doing a fresh install, even tried older drivers but still the same thing.don't know what else to try, should i just contact the seller and ask to return the monitor or is it something simple i am not doing? i'm using a msi gtx 1070 gaming x if that helps any?

IMG_20161009_235835917.jpg

IMG_20161009_235657983.jpg

You should not be experiencing green pixels when using the panel at 144Hz. I'm inclined to believe that something is wrong with the display. Do you have any other 144Hz panels to try? Perhaps from a friend.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1) don't buy used stuff on ebay.

2) if you honestly think the seller is going to let you return it, lol, but I guess you can at least try.

3) I think you now know the reason why it was being sold on ebay.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i don't know anyone with a 144hz monitor i can borrow :( but i do have a gtx 970 i can try.

the seller has a returns policy, also he has sold it and its not working as described so i should be able to get my money back, just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything i had/hadnt done first.

16 minutes ago, pixelmunky said:

hi all, my first post please be kind :)

i just bought an aoc g2460pg off ebay as i wanted a 144hz monitor. i spoke to the seller who said it was ex display and apart from a few scratches on the stand the screen was a-grade. when it arrived i set it all up and installed the drivers for the monitor, i switched the refresh rate to 144hz in nvidia control panel and i ended up with green pixels on the screen. i decided to try a game and when i loaded up rise of the tombraider there was green pixels everywhere. these pixels are not static and seem to move depending what is going on on screen. i bought 3 new dp cables to try but none of them have made a difference. so i started messing with the refresh rate in nvidia cp, if i turn the refresh rate down to 120hz the green pixels disappear, if i then try playing a game and change the refresh rate in game to 144hz then the pixels reappear until i quit back to desktop, 120hz is fine but 144hz is a no no. in rise of the tombraider if i set the desktop refresh rate to 100hz then in game i change it to 144hz then i get no green pixels but i have only tried it on the options screen not actually playing the game, any other game i try this with i still get the green pixels. i have tried going into safe mode and uninstalling the nvidia drivers with ddu and doing a fresh install, even tried older drivers but still the same thing.don't know what else to try, should i just contact the seller and ask to return the monitor or is it something simple i am not doing? i'm using a msi gtx 1070 gaming x if that helps any?

Try switching to a different cable.

yeah i bought 3 new cables to try and it hasnt made a difference, just contacted the seller and explained whats happened and asked to return as he has a 14 day returns policy

its strange as i did a screenshot at 144hz and checked the picture and the pixels dont show up on the screenshot.

10 minutes ago, pixelmunky said:

its strange as i did a screenshot at 144hz and checked the picture and the pixels dont show up on the screenshot.

Yep this confirms it is the monitor.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

12 minutes ago, pixelmunky said:

yeah i bought 3 new cables to try and it hasnt made a difference, just contacted the seller and explained whats happened and asked to return as he has a 14 day returns policy

Return it then. I'm very close to being 100% certain that your monitor is at fault.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

quick update, seller has agreed on a return and refund, so now i just need to decide on wether to get another brand new 24" 1080p 144hz gysnc or go for 1440p :/

thanks for everyones help :)