Time it takes to biuld a full on future proofed pc

NathanahtaN

ok, so i just wanna get an idea of time here, but before i ask my question i do want to note something.

One time i was watching a Carey Holzman video and at some point he said "Don't be in a mad rush to build your PC, Take your time to make sure ever part is installed correctly, PC Building is enjoyed most when you take the time to make sure you installed a part correctly"

now when i get the parts for my next pc, i'll be keeping those words at the front of my eyes thoughout the entire build.

now comes a question if my pc has the better part of 35 parts(do me a favour, DONT ASK ME WHY A PC WOULD HAVE 35 PARTS, it's a story for another topic), following Careys PC Building words to the letter how long would it take for an ametuer to build a pc, as well as how long would it take a professional.

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

It could take anywhere from an hour or two to build the computer up to 4 or 5 hours depending on the expertise of the person.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It could take anywhere from an hour or two to build the computer up to 4 or 5 hours depending on the expertise of the person.

for me personally i know HOW to install the parts correctly(thanks Carey Holzman)(with the exception of that one time back in the day when i installed a cpu the wrong way, ending in the cpu no longer working)

for a professionals experience lets say the pro builer has been building pcs for 30 years(just to be fair)

If i told you my rig, it would be this, my dream rig makes supercomputers look weak and in serious need of upgrading

Just now, NathanahtaN said:

for me personally i know HOW to install the parts correctly(thanks Carey Holzman)(with the exception of that one time back in the day when i installed a cpu the wrong way, ending in the cpu no longer working)

for a professionals experience lets say the pro builer has been building pcs for 30 years(just to be fair)

That's where the range comes into play, a professional who's familiar with all the parts maybe an hour or two. Someone with little to no experience four to five hours who needs to take their time and focus on every little detail.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just building a PC takes me about 50-70 minutes including cable management along the way. Testing on the other hand takes about 12 hours.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

i can assemble a PC in 10min if i would like to, but thats no fun and there is almost always SOMETHING thats messed up/broken/not suposed to work but i made it/ect.. so it can take around 4h to build a PC for me. my first proper build took me about 5h mostly beause of cleaning out the case from dust lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

if you're new plan on spending the better part of the day doing it. If you have some experience it would probably only take a few hours.

I spent a lot building my first PC in about 10 years just last month, and after 10 years it was like building one for the first time... including mistakes/second thoughts on a better way to have something configured I.e. For cable management and better air flow, as well as all the new parts that I'd never touched before like a modular power supply, HDD that was sata rather than ide etc. It took me about 8 hours while I was taking my time to make sure I put all the headers on the right pins and stuff

never rush, I've never had a problem so far and I put it mainly down to how careful I was with putting it all together correctly

would have sh*t my pants if it didn't post first time haha

4 minutes ago, ideamaneric said:

If you're building for the first time: 4-5 hours or 1-2 days depending on "Oh shit, I forgot this part!"

Second time: 1-4 hours

Third time and forwards: 10 minutes - 2 hours

In my case.

me forget a part, a possibility, but ill do things sort of like this

Step 1: Case Prep, have the Power Supply, IO Shield, Optical Drive, Other External components and any case fans ready for installation

Step 2: Motherboard Prep, have the ram, motherboard,storage(if using m.2 and cpu ready for installation

Step 3: Dry Fit, make sure the motherboard standoffs are in the right place, if one is in the wrong place, relocate it or remove it

Step 4: Motherboard instalation, install the motherboard(i know im being vague but the idea is clear)

Step 5: Cables, make sure the cables are installed properly

Step 6: First POST, make sure the pc boots up sucessfully

Step 7: Extras: install any storage, video cards, etc into the pc

Step 8: Cable management, (linus mimic alert)Manage your cables for maximum sex appeal(lol)

(oh and zip ties are better than wireties, wireties contain metal and worst comes to worst it causes a fair bit of damage)

Step 9: Second POST, yet again check to make sure pc boots up sucessfully

Step 10: os and other software

Step 11:(optional)Setting up overclocks and xmp, etc

PC Built

but thats basicly my method, im sure i missed a detail or two tho

9 minutes ago, ideamaneric said:

You forgot a step.

Step 0: Breadboard run, put the motherboard on the cardboard box that came with it and put the necessary components in. Test to make sure everything's working.

This is how I build:

Step 0: Same as above

Step 1: Install MB standoffs, attach IO Shield (a lot of newbies forget this)

Step 2: I typically slot in the PSU first because I don't want to drop it on the MB after it's installed.

Step 3: Install MB to place.

Step 4: Install hard drives, graphics cards. Test one more time.

Step 5: Cable management. LED lights. Whatever.

Step 6: Windows installation and driver installation (typically I use 3DP Chip to do all this shit)

Step 7: Install Steam games, other necessities for my modernized (like hell I am) life

Step 8: Enjoy

uhh step 0 is the motherboard prep lol

btw love the lil (like hell i am) bit

You also forgot probably the most important step for the first build:

Step X: Something went wrong, fix it

May it be too little thermal paste, RAM stick in wrong port or just some cable in wrong hole, you learn much more and faster from your mistakes. Also it's just wise to be ready for the problems because sooner or later there will be some and when you're mentally ready for them you can just take them as learning moments instead of as the end of the world.

2 hours ago, ideamaneric said:

Oh, and a few more things.

1. If that RAM stick won't go in, check how you're pushing it in. Do the pins match up? DON'T FORCE IT, new users, it will break the RAM and possibly your MB as well.

2. Thermal paste must be a drop of a pea in the center of the CPU. NOT the size of walnut or a microbe. Also don't apply it on the cover and squish the fan on top of the cover. *convulses at the very thought*

3. Windows licenses from Kinguin? Bad idea. Just use Windows unlicensed. It displays an annoying watermark, but it's tons better than pirating it and getting a virus or paying a premium $120. Remember, when you decide your computer is worth the while, remember to support Microsoft (they're on their last stand)

4. Positive Air Flow.

5. Don't connect USB 3.0 AND the USB 2.0 legacy adapter. You will fry your MB and your case inner workings.

6. Positive Air Flow.

7. Lock down hard drives and DVD/BluRay drives. You don't want them rattling. SSDs are fine and you can toss them anywhere you like.

8. For the love of God, Positive Air Flow.

9. After you're finished, don't use this. Unless you're a money douchebag running a YouTube channel.

What do you exactly mean by positive airflow?? As in making sure there is sufficient airflow by having both intake and exhaust fans, or somehow trying to make the air positively charged? :/ I for the love of God hope you mean the first instance, I just find it an odd way to describe making sure you have good airflow in place haha

These days there are no more jumpers on the mother board to fool around with, and no master slave jumpers either.

I remember my first build.

I actually once forgot to buy my motherboard. Always just take your time and don't rush. 

3 hours ago, GBELILREESE said:

I actually once forgot to buy my motherboard. Always just take your time and don't rush. 

exactly what Carey Holzman says, a first time builder should take the time to make sure each part is properly installed, at the end of it all the pc bulder should feel proud that they took the time to build the pc properly

21 hours ago, ideamaneric said:

Oh, and a few more things.

1. If that RAM stick won't go in, check how you're pushing it in. Do the pins match up? DON'T FORCE IT, new users, it will break the RAM and possibly your MB as well.

2. Thermal paste must be a drop of a pea in the center of the CPU. NOT the size of walnut or a microbe. Also don't apply it on the cover and squish the fan on top of the cover. *convulses at the very thought*

3. Windows licenses from Kinguin? Bad idea. Just use Windows unlicensed. It displays an annoying watermark, but it's tons better than pirating it and getting a virus or paying a premium $120. Remember, when you decide your computer is worth the while, remember to support Microsoft (they're on their last stand)

4. Positive Air Flow.

5. Don't connect USB 3.0 AND the USB 2.0 legacy adapter. You will fry your MB and your case inner workings.

6. Positive Air Flow.

7. Lock down hard drives and DVD/BluRay drives. You don't want them rattling. SSDs are fine and you can toss them anywhere you like.

8. For the love of God, Positive Air Flow.

9. After you're finished, don't use this. Unless you're a money douchebag running a YouTube channel.

What do you have against kinguin? I got a Win 10 Pro OEM code for $28 (including the $1.50 insurance) from them and had no issues at all.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

19 hours ago, Craigathorn said:

What do you exactly mean by positive airflow?? As in making sure there is sufficient airflow by having both intake and exhaust fans, or somehow trying to make the air positively charged? :/ I for the love of God hope you mean the first instance, I just find it an odd way to describe making sure you have good airflow in place haha

He means positive pressure. That means you have more air pressure going into the case (using fans) than pulling out of the case. This allows you to put dust filters on all the intake fans to keep dust out of the case by constantly forcing air out of any openings that don't have a filter. A negative pressure build will suck dust in through all the cracks/grills/etc in the case and build up more dust over time.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.