Forza Horizon 3 - Stuttering and Frame Dropping

byalexandr

Anyone else having this issue? I'm probably the only one among my friends who has what you'd call a 'high end' GPU, but I have seen other reports, even from Nvidia cards, that they get tons of frame dropping and stuttering. One case is a guy with a 1070 who gets the same FPS as my 290X no matter what settings we put it at (regularly drops into the 20-30 range even if it's on low settings). There was supposedly a patch that fixed this but I've only seen it working for lower end cards, my friend's 670MX on his ROG notebook does mediocre now where it sucked before. Updating my drivers twice now and reinstalling them completely has had no effect. I can't even run the game twice in a row, it crashes if I try to run it again. I have to restart my entire PC so I can then launch it once only. And then it ends up crashing anyway.

I love the game very much but Turn 10, MS, and Playground need to get their shit together. Their whole 'built from the ground up for PC' is complete bullshit at this point.

No problems with my 980. Lack of SLi sucks but it's a MS store game, expected it tbh. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

No problems with my 980. Lack of SLi sucks but it's a MS store game, expected it tbh. 

What kind of FPS do you get? Do you experience any stuttering or frame drops into the 30 FPS range? What about game crashing or weird bugs?

The last time I played, I had this too, sometimes the game was going into 20 fps, with i7 4790K and GTX1070.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

1 minute ago, xDanielxOossiex said:

The last time I played, I had this too, sometimes the game was going into 20 fps, with i7 4790K and GTX1070.

Yeah you're like the guy I was talking to. Same system, same problem.

Can't say I've had crashing issues, but general performance issues have been a problem. This morning the game was damn near unplayable, but updating to the driver Nvidia dropped yesterday made it playable again.

Yesterday and the later half of today have generally stayed 50+ FPS. I certainly saw more drops below 50 yesterday. 

This morning it was a struggle to push much further than 30. A driver update sorted that out... At least temporarily, still need to see if it'll hold up.

I've heard it could be a memory management issue, apparently the game may still 'think' it's working with shared memory, so it's throwing shit into system memory.

1 minute ago, TheMcSame said:

Can't say I've had crashing issues, but general performance issues have been a problem. This morning the game was damn near unplayable, but updating to the driver Nvidia dropped yesterday made it playable again.

Yesterday and the later half of today have generally stayed 50+ FPS. I certainly saw more drops below 50 yesterday. 

This morning it was a struggle to push much further than 30. A driver update sorted that out... At least temporarily, still need to see if it'll hold up.

I've heard it could be a memory management issue, apparently the game may still 'think' it's working with shared memory, so it's throwing shit into system memory.

Is there anything I can do on my part to stop it?

Just now, byalexandr said:

Is there anything I can do on my part to stop it?

I doubt it. We're pretty much at the mercy of the devs at this point.

16 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

What kind of FPS do you get? Do you experience any stuttering or frame drops into the 30 FPS range? What about game crashing or weird bugs?

I don't dip below 30FPS at 1080p with Ultra and 2x MSAA. Usually sits in the 80 range normally and dips to mid 50s in the forest. 

No crashes or weird bugs either. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

I love the game very much but Turn 10, MS, and Playground need to get their shit together. Their whole 'built from the ground up for PC' is complete bullshit at this point.

technically they didn't build it from the ground up. like forza apex FH3 ported over to PC quite well, in retrospect.