Which Ethernet extender should I get?

Lewiscpullan

Hi I really want to use Ethernet for my pc but I need to get a wall adapter extender. So I was wondering how fast I would need it to get these speeds. 

Thanks, Lewis

57c0ac7d7d85a53ee63e1c149f36a061.png

you're better off just using wifi with your pc. WIFI Extenders to ethernet is basically wifi, just worse. I know because I used one before, and they are awful.

1 minute ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

you're better off just using wifi with your pc. WIFI Extenders to ethernet is basically wifi, just worse. I know because I used one before, and they are awful.

But he want a ethernet extender

5 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Hi I really want to use Ethernet for my pc but I need to get a wall adapter extender. So I was wondering how fast I would need it to get these speeds. 

Thanks, Lewis

What do you mean? You have an Ethernet port in your wall and you want to plug your PC into it? An Ethernet cord?

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

7 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

Thanks, Lewis

Are you talking about a PowerLine adapter?

3 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

OP is talking about powerline adapter. It injects the digital signal into the lines that run in the walls for AC power. You should consider one too. It's nothing like straight Ethernet, but beats Wi-Fi in penetrating walls/obstacles and Ping. Wi-Fi beats powerline adaptes in bandwidth. Netgear PL1200 is great. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Are you talking about a PowerLine adapter?

Yes

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

What do you mean? You have an Ethernet port in your wall and you want to plug your PC into it? An Ethernet cord?

A power line adapter

The wifi card on my pc has broke so I get really bad download/upload speeds (0.2 - 2 mbps) so I want to use ethernet beacuse it works and its a lot faster.

Just now, Lewiscpullan said:

Yes

The speed you will get has more to do with the wiring in your house than it does the brand you get. Just make sure to get the latest ac PowerLine adapter configuration. I'm currently using a net gear one that works like a charm in my apartment.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

The speed you will get has more to do with the wiring in your house than it does the brand you get. Just make sure to get the latest ac PowerLine adapter configuration. I'm currently using a net gear one that works like a charm in my apartment.

But they always have like the 500mbps and all sorts so which one of those should I get?

2 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

But they always have like the 500mbps and all sorts so which one of those should I get?

Get the 1200. They have newer technology in them that make them more likely to work well in houses with non-ideal wiring. 

48 minutes ago, Lewiscpullan said:

A power line adapter

Well, that is not true Ethernet. That is essentially an external acces point. It will be no faster than wifi, but will cost more. Try to fish an Ethernet cable to the router, that will get your fastest speeds. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

8 hours ago, bgibbz said:

Well, that is not true Ethernet. That is essentially an external acces point. It will be no faster than wifi, but will cost more. Try to fish an Ethernet cable to the router, that will get your fastest speeds. 

PowerLine adapters are for when running ethernet cables isn't possible or practical. As for speed they can be extremely fast. I have 4 desktops running off of one connected to an ethernet splitter and none of us have problems with speed. It has a lot to due with the wiring of the building your in.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

PowerLine adapters are for when running ethernet cables isn't possible or practical. As for speed they can be extremely fast. I have 4 desktops running off of one connected to an ethernet splitter and none of us have problems with speed. It has a lot to due with the wiring of the building your in.

I assume you know more than me, so thanks for the info. I've onlu used a powerline adapter once, and it seemed to perform on par with a cheaper wireless card. 

Powerline is highly depends on home electrical situation. My last 500mbps powerline only can reach 30Mbps speed at most, same speed with my Wireless N. I changed my router to Wireless AC 5GHz and installed PCIe Wireless AC card and the speed can reach 70-80Mbps (My Internet that time is 300Mbps, but my Wireless AC router is only 100Mbps ethernet speed). So, I highly prefer you to try Wireless AC setup first before buying those expensive powerline.

Even a single bulb can cause interference to the powerline. I once use those cheap TL lights and it killed my powerline speed to 10Mbps instantly.

5 hours ago, dlink377 said:

Powerline is highly depends on home electrical situation. My last 500mbps powerline only can reach 30Mbps speed at most, same speed with my Wireless N. I changed my router to Wireless AC 5GHz and installed PCIe Wireless AC card and the speed can reach 70-80Mbps (My Internet that time is 300Mbps, but my Wireless AC router is only 100Mbps ethernet speed). So, I highly prefer you to try Wireless AC setup first before buying those expensive powerline.

Even a single bulb can cause interference to the powerline. I once use those cheap TL lights and it killed my powerline speed to 10Mbps instantly.

the 500mbs powerline adapters are worthless. they don't have the technology in them that deals with electrical noise. the 500mps is alot like n wireless its just an old technology. the 1200mbs powerline adapters are what would be considered the newer technology like how ac wireless adapters are the newest wireless technology. 

Not quite sure how these things work, but couldn't someone just buy a receiver and plug it into the wall anywhere in the building and steal this guy's internet? Unless he has mac address filtering setup, it's essentially an unsecured network.... Right?

6 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Not quite sure how these things work, but couldn't someone just buy a receiver and plug it into the wall anywhere in the building and steal this guy's internet? Unless he has mac address filtering setup, it's essentially an unsecured network.... Right?

Well... You'd have to be INSIDE HIS PROPERTY.

At that point, it's no different then if the person snuck inside and jacked into his router.

PowerLine Ethernet works based on the electrical circuits in your home. It doesn't bridge past your home, so someone on the same grid in your neighbourhood can't steal your network (And even if they could get a signal, it would likely be degraded beyond all usefulness - but they can't, so it doesn't matter).

It's just as unsecured as Ethernet is. You need physical access.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

33 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well... You'd have to be INSIDE HIS PROPERTY.

At that point, it's no different then if the person snuck inside and jacked into his router.

PowerLine Ethernet works based on the electrical circuits in your home. It doesn't bridge past your home, so someone on the same grid in your neighbourhood can't steal your network (And even if they could get a signal, it would likely be degraded beyond all usefulness - but they can't, so it doesn't matter).

It's just as unsecured as Ethernet is. You need physical access.

I'm thinking of an apartment building. People next door certainly could.

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I'm thinking of an apartment building. People next door certainly could.

Ermm.. No they couldn't.

I mean, I suppose it depends on the type of apartment building, but your standard "highrise" apartment, each unit has it's own breaker panel going in. The signal stops at the breaker panel, and won't go anywhere else.

If you're living in an old house converted into a multi-room apartment, or something like that? Perhaps. It depends on how the builders designed the apartment.

If you have a breaker panel, you should be fine. If you share a breaker panel with the entire apartment complex, then perhaps, but the quality would be shit anyway.

The ideal way to connect PowerLine Ethernet is on the same circuit (meaning the same individual breaker) - you can cross breakers, but you get massive signal loss when you do so, and it still won't cross the main line breaker.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/6/2016 at 9:54 PM, corrado33 said:

You certainly need to sync the powerline adapters first before they can talk to each other.

When you first open the kit, you need to connect them on the same power strip and press the sync button on the both of the units. There are some encryption going on between both of the units (I am not sure how strong is the encryption).

8 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

You certainly need to sync the powerline adapters first before they can talk to each other.

When you first open the kit, you need to connect them on the same power strip and press the sync button on the both of the units. There are some encryption going on between both of the units (I am not sure how strong is the encryption).

Good to know - I know the theory of how they function, but I didn't know if they had introduced any syncing or encryption.

33 minutes ago, dlink377 said:

I've thought of getting powerline adapter for quite awhile now and I know how they work but I never learn how to setup one and this is new to me so I learned something new today.