Windows 7 Ultimate vs Home Premium vs Windows 8.1 + Duel boot

JackieWackie
Go to solution Solved by TopplesS,

Windows 7 Ultimate has higher RAM limitations (192GB from memory, compared to HP's 16GB). Also little things like language packs and networking with Server and virtualisation - mostly high-end stuff that the standard user doesn't care for.

Why do you need so many OS installs?

Hi, I have currently windows 7 Ultimate and want to move to windows 8.1. I do work for a big company and I can get windows 7 for $20USD. I dont want to use my windows ultimate code as I personally spent $500 on it. I will be making my computer into a duel boot system and try boot system if possiable when steam os comes out.

After buying windows 7 ultimate a few years ago I never knew the benefits and just had a load of cash to blow. Whats the difference between windows 7 ultimate and home premium? 

Can I make a Duel boot and install windows 7 twice then use the home premium which im getting from my company to upgrade to windows 8.1 pro?

Windows 7 Ultimate has higher RAM limitations (192GB from memory, compared to HP's 16GB). Also little things like language packs and networking with Server and virtualisation - mostly high-end stuff that the standard user doesn't care for.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

Windows 7 Ultimate is just better! i have it on 3 laptops in my house for my servers.

and no 8.1 sounds like it has alot of problems right now!

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Weeellllll...

Im not upgrading my windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 pro that would be a waste and im a scumbag so I take the companys windows 7 and upgrade that into windows 8. 

I want to try windows 8 for editing stuff on SV and CS6 etc. 

Steam OS just want to test it out and possible make a gaming computer just for that

Weeellllll...

Im not upgrading my windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 pro that would be a waste and im a scumbag so I take the companys windows 7 and upgrade that into windows 8. 

I want to try windows 8 for editing stuff on SV and CS6 etc. 

Steam OS just want to test it out and possible make a gaming computer just for that

Love it - use what you can get your hands on

As for the upgrade to Win8.1 - I believe the new pricing structure will be the same across the board whether it's OEM, retail or whatever. Also there will be no 'upgrade' option per se, that being a cheaper option if you already have Win7. It's midnight here so I can't be bothered searching but I'm sure I read that somewhere on a THW I think. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550