Sold an Intel ES CPU

Hi guys, as the title says I have been sold an Engineering Sample CPU.

I have the Intel xeon e5-2620 v3, that refuses to boost and also a dead IMC.

Obviously I shouldn't have got a Xeon for gaming, but the price was too good... I'm guessing I can't RMA it or anything?

thanks

I've heard somewhere that it's actually illegal to sell those.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

ES items have to warranty (no RMA process).

getting the right CPU (Xeon) can be good for gaming. 

3 minutes ago, PsychoGamingLemom said:

You should've educated yourself on the stepping. However the dead IMC is something to send it back to the seller over.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Although there's lots of debate on whether ES CPU's are "legal" or not, they are not intended to be for 'production' use, and the 'engineering' processes they're used in may actually destroy or significantly damage them. 

Return it and try to get your money back.  And go buy a proper CPU.

1. You cannot RAM an Engineering Sample...the public is not "supposed" to have Engineering Samples
  2. The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) is dead = no DRAM controller = Useless

Return the CPU and get a refund -- it is a non-functioning product.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005719.html

1 hour ago, Mark77 said:

Although there's lots of debate on whether ES CPU's are "legal" or not, they are not intended to be for 'production' use, and the 'engineering' processes they're used in may actually destroy or significantly damage them. 

Selling them is illegal, it isn't even a debate, since they are property of Intel, and are loaned out to OEMs to make products that work with that chip. 

You Also cannot return it, or RMA it as Intel doesn't support ES cpus.

(See link above)

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

They are illegal to use, the last thing you should do is tell Intel you bought one (unless you're reporting the seller).

You're down a chip, buy a real one this time. They're built not to last on purpose, so that snoops can't use them.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

Selling them is illegal, it isn't even a debate, since they are property of Intel, and are loaned out to OEMs to make products that work with that chip. 

There's a significant amount of debate over that, and it has been said that ES chips are often obtained through electronics recycling, ie: dumpster diving after such machines are disposed of, or the equivalent at the electronics recyclers.  If you're a Chinese person working at a PCB recycling operation making $1/hour and you find a reasonably modern ES CPU in a dump of boards, that's a pretty good score being able to sell it for $150!  A 3rd party who comes into 'stolen' property without their knowledge has no obligation to seek out its owner and return it.

http://thelawdictionary.org/bona-fide-purchaser/

As for whose property the chips are, if Intel doesn't make a reasonable effort to protect its property, especially when it certainly could do so by requiring the return of the chips, then it is questionable whether its really a loan or not.  Additionally, we are not privy to the contracts between Intel and the engineering partners which may or may not transfer ownership. 

11 hours ago, Mark77 said:

There's a significant amount of debate over that, and it has been said that ES chips are often obtained through electronics recycling, ie: dumpster diving after such machines are disposed of, or the equivalent at the electronics recyclers.  If you're a Chinese person working at a PCB recycling operation making $1/hour and you find a reasonably modern ES CPU in a dump of boards, that's a pretty good score being able to sell it for $150!  A 3rd party who comes into 'stolen' property without their knowledge has no obligation to seek out its owner and return it.

These chips are not usually just dumped in the trash, people take them home when the company has no use for them, rarely ever will a company dump them because people know they can resell them.

Buisnesses most likely will have to return stolen property, such as pawn shops which have stolen property will lose the item, and whatever money they paid for it.

11 hours ago, Mark77 said:

As for whose property the chips are, if Intel doesn't make a reasonable effort to protect its property, especially when it certainly could do so by requiring the return of the chips, then it is questionable whether its really a loan or not.  Additionally, we are not privy to the contracts between Intel and the engineering partners which may or may not transfer ownership. 

They are Intel property, read the article I linked above. One of the first thing it mentions is "Intel ES Processors are the sole property of Intel".

Chips are loaned out, again read link.

Chips are Intel's property and belong to Intel, a loan contract will never transfer ownership, then it isn't a loan, a loan is just borrowing an item for a period of time, transfer of ownership would be buying/selling the chip.

12 hours ago, Crossbred said:

They are illegal to use, the last thing you should do is tell Intel you bought one (unless you're reporting the seller).

You're down a chip, buy a real one this time. They're built not to last on purpose, so that snoops can't use them.

They aren't illegal to use, just to sell.

Intel won't come after buyers of the chips, but have gone after people selling 1000s of them.

They arenmt built not to last. They are usually just running a different microcode then the production cpus, and some ES cpus are literally the same as the production, they are just put under torture tests for 24/7.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On 10/2/2016 at 11:52 PM, RGProductions said:

You should've educated yourself on the stepping. However the dead IMC is something to send it back to the seller over.

He only gave me the CPU Product name, no stepping info.

On 10/2/2016 at 11:50 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

So did I, hence I've asked here

On 10/2/2016 at 11:50 PM, airdeano said:

ES items have to warranty (no RMA process).

getting the right CPU (Xeon) can be good for gaming. 

I know and unfortunately mine isn't

On 10/2/2016 at 11:55 PM, Mark77 said:

He gave my money back but never wanted CPU back... will be going to 5820K asap

On 10/3/2016 at 1:03 AM, -rascal- said:
  1. You cannot RAM an Engineering Sample...the public is not "supposed" to have Engineering Samples
  2. The IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) is dead = no DRAM controller = Useless

Return the CPU and get a refund -- it is a non-functioning product.

Have done and I agree - it is useless for most things... worse performace than my i5 and boot loops fairly much

On 10/3/2016 at 1:24 AM, SLAYR said:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005719.html

You Also cannot return it, or RMA it as Intel doesn't support ES cpus.

(See link above)

Read that and unfortunately I know that so will be changing asap... cannot afford to right now.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:06 AM, Crossbred said:

I understand that know and I would not be using it providing I had money for a 5820K

On 10/3/2016 at 3:03 AM, Mark77 said:

http://thelawdictionary.org/bona-fide-purchaser/

On 10/3/2016 at 2:44 PM, SLAYR said:

These chips are not usually just dumped in the trash, people take them home when the company has no use for them, rarely ever will a company dump them because people know they can resell them.

Buisnesses most likely will have to return stolen property, such as pawn shops which have stolen property will lose the item, and whatever money they paid for it.

They are Intel property, read the article I linked above. One of the first thing it mentions is "Intel ES Processors are the sole property of Intel".

Chips are loaned out, again read link.

Chips are Intel's property and belong to Intel, a loan contract will never transfer ownership, then it isn't a loan, a loan is just borrowing an item for a period of time, transfer of ownership would be buying/selling the chip.

They aren't illegal to use, just to sell.

Intel won't come after buyers of the chips, but have gone after people selling 1000s of them.

They arenmt built not to last. They are usually just running a different microcode then the production cpus, and some ES cpus are literally the same as the production, they are just put under torture tests for 24/7.

I get that now and have no clue how the guy I brought it from obtained it... he wanted a good price that was obviously too good to be true.. so here I am.

On 10/2/2016 at 5:48 PM, PsychoGamingLemom said:

Hi guys, as the title says I have been sold an Engineering Sample CPU.

I have the Intel xeon e5-2620 v3, that refuses to boost and also a dead IMC.

Obviously I shouldn't have got a Xeon for gaming, but the price was too good... I'm guessing I can't RMA it or anything?

thanks

Most good ebay sellers will allow you to return one within 30 days, find the listing or seller and email them and work it out with them and perhaps they can swap it out for another or allow you to get a refund. Also for anyone thinking about this, the code and the stepping can limit what motherboards these will actually work on, it's different for each chip, even if the official production model is supported by the MB the ES version might not be. Once again you can email the seller and see if they can verify if it's known to work with the motherboard you have. 

17 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Most good ebay sellers will allow you to return one within 30 days, find the listing or seller and email them and work it out with them and perhaps they can swap it out for another or allow you to get a refund. Also for anyone thinking about this, the code and the stepping can limit what motherboards these will actually work on, it's different for each chip, even if the official production model is supported by the MB the ES version might not be. Once again you can email the seller and see if they can verify if it's known to work with the motherboard you have. 

I've got my money back, as already said. It was all brought from same guy... he assured me it worked fine and had none of the problems I've had... obviously not true but can't complain.

On October 2, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

Technically yes, they are not meant for resale of any kind but it's very loosely enforced. As well, there is a manufacturer agreement with Intel that the company will only use it for their purposes without resale or giving it away, however when they get rid of old systems they don't care what happens to the parts.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue