AMD PC Build

Murrey Mint

One of my co-workers has recently had his house flood, all is ok now and his insurance company has given his £1000 to go and build a new machine, I have said I would help him but then he said he wanted to build a AMD based system, which poses a problem for me as i know NOTHING about AMD software and components, as I have always been a Intel kind of guy. 

I was wondering if any of you guys could offer me some help in the form of what sort of components to recommend.

He is looking to play FPS and games of the like. I have done abit of research and this is what ive come up with so far *my hopes and dreams*.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is no software divide. All there is to Intel vs AMD is the CPU, and therefore the motherboard.

If he´s set on AMD, however, the best possible advice is to wait, as AMD is about to launch (beginning of 2017, although no date confirmed) a new lineup, expected to be a substantial improvement over its current, mostly dated platform. Maybe he could go for the latest APUs right now if he's after a cheap computer and doesn't want too much performance in the most demanding games. But something like a 1000 GBP jsut for the box )i.e., excluding monitor and peripherals) would put him above "budget builds", in which case I'd say the best course of action is going Intel or waiting for Zen chips.

I cannot advise you enough to wait for the new zen processors as they will most likely have massive performance gains over AMD's current line of chips, but if he needs the build right now then I'd build something like this, though if your willing to wait for zen just replace it with the most recent zen processor and mobo ALSO DDR4 ram as this DDR3 wont work with zen of course:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DTjxgL

I myself am American, so I don't have too much experience with UK prices, but this seems to be pretty damn good. Waiting for Zen would definitely help this build out in performance, though this should theoretically be able to achieve 60fps 1080p on Ultra. The RX480 is a great card, honestly it does run a bit hot, but it's still a great deal. I recommend it a lot.

The Phanteks case is great, a personal favorite as it offers an amazing look while being cheap and having plenty of space for cable management and expansion. The acrylic window is great cheap bling. 

I tried to go more color neutral, but you could easily swap out the mobo or ram for a different color scheme without much affect on price if he wanted something particular. With the extra money left over he could buy a monitor, or some led strips and custom sleeve cables.

LG offers some 1080p freesync monitors for the UK, I can't find any listings for them, but I highly recommend them as it'll give him an amazing buttery non stutter gameplay experience.

23 minutes ago, Murrey Mint said:

One of my co-workers has recently had his house flood, all is ok now and his insurance company has given his £1000 to go and build a new machine, I have said I would help him but then he said he wanted to build a AMD based system, which poses a problem for me as i know NOTHING about AMD software and components, as I have always been a Intel kind of guy. 

I was wondering if any of you guys could offer me some help in the form of what sort of components to recommend.

He is looking to play FPS and games of the like. I have done abit of research and this is what ive come up with so far *my hopes and dreams*.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So you have two decent options for him to choose from... Intel now, or wait for AMD Zen to come out. I do NOT recommend AMD for a higher end system like that as the AMD FX cpus are showing their age... 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

AMD's hardware just isn't there at the 1,000 GBP price point right now. My suggestion would be to go for Intel now or wait for Zen benchmarks later. The FX series is worth its weight in turd as CPUs, but much more valuable if arson is your end goal.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

18 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Recommending a Cryorig C7 with a 9590 is criminal. It's fine to advice a switch to Intel, but don't tell him to literally burn his money... o.O

Was gonna say, dayum lol, besides the 9590 is literally just a overclocked 8350.

Thanks guys for the quick response and time to make some builds!

8 hours ago, Murrey Mint said:

You'd need a low budget to go AMD, or a very specific use case

Just get an i7 6700 + RX 470 and you'll be fine, maybe toss in a 240gb SSD

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jkBnpb
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jkBnpb/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£257.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£65.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£62.99 @ Novatech)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 470 4GB Triple X Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£43.45 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£62.50 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £714.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 03:44 BST+0100

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?