Someone is still using a 34 year Commodore 64 to run a business in Poland!

Seeing this kind of stuff isn't all that uncommon. The article states the C64 is being used to balance driveshafts. There is just certain industrial, milling, etc. machinery that can only work with and interface with hardware from the particular era it was released in.

Ie: plenty of milling/cnc machines that still run off old DOS computers or that interface via serial. 

As long as the machinery works, why replace it if it isn't broken? 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

that C64 lived longer than the company that manufactured it

• no forced Windows Updates
  • no BSODs
  • no viruses
  • no adware

No internet and no functionality as well?

4 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

yes, you can connect a C64 to the internet:

%7B0F01C5F2-4BBC-4594-A9BD-EE3A713DFA7E%

as for functionality?!? ha! the people that work there are using it - that's functionality

5 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

You can get Internet on a C64 though? 

Plus "load""8,1"

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You can get Internet on a C64 though? 

Plus "load""8,1"

It was a question hence the "?". If I remember correctly, you can design viruses which will erase the bios which can't be flashed on those motherboard, so that's a bit dangerous if someone is specifically targeting you.

30 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

It was a question hence the "?". If I remember correctly, you can design viruses which will erase the bios which can't be flashed on those motherboard, so that's a bit dangerous if someone is specifically targeting you.

C64 don't have BIOSes, they have a BASIC ROM (it's actually Microsoft Basic) and the ROM chip can be very easily replaced for not very much money. 

Look at it this way, a modern PC can get a virus (it's actually much higher chance too) so your in no more danger than if you were using a PC, the difference is a C64 user would have to download and run the virus manually where as a PC can be infected with a simple web script. Plus a PC virus can destroy your files, a C64 virus can't destroy your floppies. 

The BBS boards are actually fairly well moderated so any nefarious files would be quickly removed and the uploader banned. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It can run GTA Vice City

Can I just say, that is epic! 

Gnarley, I have a broken commodore sx 64 that I really want to get working but I think it needs just about everything replaced.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 hours ago, laminutederire said:

last time I checked, the EPROMs back then were erasable only by UV light

27C256-25-nec-uv-erasable-eprom-28-pin-c

and this is what you erase it with:

EPROM_UV_eraser.jpg