"Should nvidia have a response to Mantle?....no"

exyia

not going to lie i would have preferred if AMD spent all that effort on mantle on OpenGl instead getting games ported to that.

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course you couldn't; that was John Carmack talking :P

Doesn't anyone know that Nvidia has their own? I forget off the top of my head what it is called, but Nvidia has very low level access API. It's been around a while, as I recall.

They're right, one API isn't going to drastically change things. For one, the devs are still going to have to work with other APIs for compatibility reasons. Which can actually be a strike against Mantle, in a way. As a company, would I want to spend x man hours + x resources on a new API? I am sure some will, but I think some will say lets see how it pans out. Those that see how it pans out, could be left out or could be smart. Only time will tell. 

They don't even need it when they have G-Sync which is a better experience then just having higher frame rate.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think a lot of people, me included, were confused by the in it I hype. I thought Mantle was announced as a streamlined, cross platform API that would allow flawless ports from and to console as well as easy optimization on both platforms. I have learned that is not at all what Mantle is (its not even on consoles). They fed us numbers like 9 times more draws per clock and buzzwords like direct to GPU architecture. I drank the koolaid, but now I see the error of my ways.

Mantle wouldn't do jack for the consoles anyways, since they use 1 set of hardware it was easy to optimize for them. How do you think that Microsoft and Sony can make hardware stay relevant for 10yrs? Optimization is the name of the game. The idea of mantle is get closer to the hardware on a broader range of equipment, code is easily transferred between the console now due to them being x86 based. Don't underestimate low level access, Direct X is a bloated API that made its claim to fame by it being easy to use, however imagine knocking off about 20% of your GPU performance off the top just being lost through an inefficient API.

The point is why reinvent the wheel for a console? Where as it is the PC that  needs the software attention. Optimized Dev kits already exists for them and are probably slightly better as there is 1 piece of hardware to worry about.

You're right and I see all of that now. When mantle first came out, however, I was confused about exactly what it was and drew conclusions that it would be much better than it is. I m excited about it but not as much so. Was going to get a 7990 and see how much a percentage points increase does on that beast.

Microsoft is really afraid of Mantle, because if it kicks off it will give platforms like Linux & SteamOS huge performance benefits.

In fact AMD is already doing that with their OpenGL Mantle extensions.

Which is why I will be moving to Linux when big AAA titles come out for it. I have a feeling Battlefield 4 will probably come out for it as DICE has said they want to support Linux... now they just need to convince EA to make Origin for Linux.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15