Gtx 1080 or a monitor

Carlospuron

Hi every one, I started a topic about a month ago asking for feedback on my set up, aparently everything was good but somebody mentioned that I should get a monitor, instead of upgrading my gpu and keep playing on my tv , right now I'm using a gtx 970 on a 65" 4k tv, works good and smooth but I can't play battlefield on ultra using 2160p and get 60 fps. I thought upgrading gpu would help. I checked linus video about tv vs monitor, and most of the games I play should be ok on tv ( like diablo, batman, lost planet) battlefield still run pretty good on 2016p medium set up but I just want it to be on ultra. so what do you guys think new gpu? or just a monitor? any advice is accepted thanks

1 minute ago, Carlospuron said:

Hi every one, I started a topic about a month ago asking for feedback on my set up, aparently everything was good but somebody mentioned that I should get a monitor, instead of upgrading my gpu and keep playing on my tv , right now I'm using a gtx 970 on a 65" 4k tv, works good and smooth but I can't play battlefield on ultra using 2160p and get 60 fps. I thought upgrading gpu would help. I checked linus video about tv vs monitor, and most of the games I play should be ok on tv ( like diablo, batman, lost planet) battlefield still run pretty good on 2016p medium set up but I just want it to be on ultra. so what do you guys think new gpu? or just a monitor? any advice is accepted thanks

Most TV run at either 48FPS or 59.97 FPS, interlaced.

This adds much more frame delay than monitors, as it is not as important for TV's, as there is not any time-sessitive input.

Id get a 1440P monitor, instead of a GTX 1080 for now

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Ya, I would go with a monitor, especially since you're using a TV atm. The 970 is still a very nice card, and you should be able to wait at least one more generation before it becomes (performance wise) lacking.

7 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

Most TV run at either 48FPS or 59.97 FPS, interlaced.

This adds much more frame delay than monitors, as it is not as important for TV's, as there is not any time-sessitive input.

Id get a 1440P monitor, instead of a GTX 1080 for now

Most TVs have a native refresh rate of 60Hz (or 30Hz for early 2160p TVs), very few, if any modern TVs display only interlaced content either.

The reason that TVs have more delay is because most apply an assortment of hardware-based postprocessing on the image, which includes interlacing if applicable.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Ok so, monitor best option. got it, I didn't want to play on something smaller, but i guess it's best to get the most out my set up, what monitor you guys use ? And another question why people have multiple monitors? ( yes I'm pretty much a newbie for pc gaming) 

20 minutes ago, Carlospuron said:

Ok so, monitor best option. got it, I didn't want to play on something smaller, but i guess it's best to get the most out my set up, what monitor you guys use ? And another question why people have multiple monitors? ( yes I'm pretty much a newbie for pc gaming) 

I would say go for the gtx 1080 if you don't play competitive shooter like csgo, then the difference in response time in unnoticeable by most people.

People Use multiple monitors to show multiple things at the same time, or for gaming to get super wide resolutions ( look up triple screen gaming), also helps with productivity so you don't have to switch from one program to another.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

57 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

I would say go for the gtx 1080 if you don't play competitive shooter like csgo, then the difference in response time in unnoticeable by most people.

People Use multiple monitors to show multiple things at the same time, or for gaming to get super wide resolutions ( look up triple screen gaming), also helps with productivity so you don't have to switch from one program to another.

I haven't even noticed a delay on battlefield4, btw one of the hdmi ports on the back of my tv says 60 Hz 1080&higher and there's where I have the pc. Don't know if that makes any difference 

5 hours ago, Carlospuron said:

I haven't even noticed a delay on battlefield4, btw one of the hdmi ports on the back of my tv says 60 Hz 1080&higher and there's where I have the pc. Don't know if that makes any difference 

honestly, if you're happy with the response rate of your TV, and you enjoy gaming on it...and just want good 4K gaming performance on it...just upgrade your graphics card...a new monitor that would be worth your time and money will cost a lot of money, and will most likely be a 2560x1440p monitor and the GTX 970 again will fall short in terms of performance...with current demanding games, the GTX 970 is a super good 1080p card, but not much more than that.

Also a new PC monitor, will likely mean a whole new setup...a desk, a chair...etc.

Do you use mouse and keyboard to play your games? or a controler? what kind of a gamer are you? those are questions that should be asked.

A friend of mine game on his couch with a controler in hands, and he does not want a monitor and play on keyboard and mouse etc...it depends what you like cause it's very different.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

honestly, if you're happy with the response rate of your TV, and you enjoy gaming on it...and just want good 4K gaming performance on it...just upgrade your graphics card...a new monitor that would be worth your time and money will cost a lot of money, and will most likely be a 2560x1440p monitor and the GTX 970 again will fall short in terms of performance...with current demanding games, the GTX 970 is a super good 1080p card, but not much more than that.

Also a new PC monitor, will likely mean a whole new setup...a desk, a chair...etc.

Do you use mouse and keyboard to play your games? or a controler? what kind of a gamer are you? those are questions that should be asked.

A friend of mine game on his couch with a controler in hands, and he does not want a monitor and play on keyboard and mouse etc...it depends what you like cause it's very different.

I use both keyboard is mostly for battlefield and diablo, and the controller for the rest of my games, I'm more of a casual gamer, basically  just weekend gaming because of work, I used to play on xbox, that's why I have everything set up in the living room, and I think you're right, cause now I'm thinking that , I will need a desk,  a chair and the monitor. It's not like I'm ignoring people that suggested the monitor, again all advice is appreciated.

Well, it depends really. If all you want is eye candy, a faster gpu is what you need. If you want a better gaming experience I thing a dedicated monitor with desk and chair is the way to go (you probably have an empty table around the house that can be used). Honesty I prefer gaming on a monitor. I bought my mom a 1080p tv for her house and when I go there I connect my laptop to it. Its fine in games like witcher 3 but shooters like MWO or Squad, the small laptop screen gives me a smoother experience.  The game just feels more crisp. Of course this is my opinion and your mileage may vary. I would buy an entry level 1080p monitor and try it. Even second hand. See a brand you like and try it out. They will be cheap enough not to affect your budget and if you like the difference you can go for a more serious gaming monitor. Otherwise, spurge in a 1080 and sell your monitor for the same price.

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

21 hours ago, Miguel Batista said:

Well, it depends really. If all you want is eye candy, a faster gpu is what you need. If you want a better gaming experience I thing a dedicated monitor with desk and chair is the way to go (you probably have an empty table around the house that can be used). Honesty I prefer gaming on a monitor. I bought my mom a 1080p tv for her house and when I go there I connect my laptop to it. Its fine in games like witcher 3 but shooters like MWO or Squad, the small laptop screen gives me a smoother experience.  The game just feels more crisp. Of course this is my opinion and your mileage may vary. I would buy an entry level 1080p monitor and try it. Even second hand. See a brand you like and try it out. They will be cheap enough not to affect your budget and if you like the difference you can go for a more serious gaming monitor. Otherwise, spurge in a 1080 and sell your monitor for the same price.

That's souns like a good idea too, I just like the eye candy, as I said before, I haven't feel any type of delay, but at the same time why not giving a chance to the monitor, I can get one at a store and they usually give me 30 days return it if i don't like it.

I was actually in the exact same position as you (except I am running a 1080p monitor right now).

I have opted to buy a 1070 and will get a 1440p monitor soon.

On 28.9.2016 at 9:32 PM, Carlospuron said:

Multiple Monitors are great for work related stuff. If you never used multiple monitors it is hard to explain, but when u ever used a setup with 2 monitors you do not want to go back.

I normally don't use my 2nd monitor in games, but some games support moving the minimap to the second monitor. You can also get some other information on the 2nd screen. Like if you play Dota or LoL you can put the most efficient itembuilds on the second screen.

Bought a new monitor, same type all my friends have 1440 144hz. It's quite nice. A real upgrade. Bought a 1080 strix shortly after. Seemed like a good card. Took it back about a week later. Wasn't much of an upgrade over my old cards. Went back to using my old 1080 monitors too. 

Depending on on the games you play if get an ultra wide or a high hz 1440. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, DaMainMan said:

I was actually in the exact same position as you (except I am running a 1080p monitor right now).

I have opted to buy a 1070 and will get a 1440p monitor soon.

It's kind of a hard decision sometimes right?  

3 hours ago, noobwannabot said:

Multiple Monitors are great for work related stuff. If you never used multiple monitors it is hard to explain, but when u ever used a setup with 2 monitors you do not want to go back.

I normally don't use my 2nd monitor in games, but some games support moving the minimap to the second monitor. You can also get some other information on the 2nd screen. Like if you play Dota or LoL you can put the most efficient itembuilds on the second screen.

Well I've been looking for a used monitor, one of my friends is going to let me borrow one from a set up he has for guests, (yeah he has two builds) not sure what the specs are but I'll let you all know

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Bought a new monitor, same type all my friends have 1440 144hz. It's quite nice. A real upgrade. Bought a 1080 strix shortly after. Seemed like a good card. Took it back about a week later. Wasn't much of an upgrade over my old cards. Went back to using my old 1080 monitors too. 

Depending on on the games you play if get an ultra wide or a high hz 1440. 

I'll try with my friend's monitor and if like the difference then I'll go for a good one and maybe upgrade the gpu next year

Ok, so after a couple of days of playing on a monitor, I would stay with my tv. 

Let me tell you a little story, my friend has two pcs in what he calls "the man cave", a room he designated for gaming, he has his main rig, a nice built he did recently with a couple of monitors ( now I see the use of 2 monitors) and his first built, each on its own desk he says that he keeps the old one for guests , so in his new set up he has these nice 1440p monitors that he runs with a Gtx 1070 a pretty nice gaming experience, he gave me a chance to use his pc (but why would you need 32gb of ram?)anyway , so I took my pc to his house so I could see what's like to have the pc on a desk and play while sitting on a chair, I spent the weekend playing in there and this is my opinion,

first I didn't like the idea of a smaller display,

second after some time (1 hour or so) it wasn't comfortable for me to be on that chair ( I'm kind of a big guy),

Third I won't say that I didn't notice a difference while playing battlefield 4, csgo and tom Clancy's, cause I did but it wasn't like a huge difference, I usually  end rounds with a positive score on my tv, the difference I noticed was that the textures where more detailed thanks to the ultra settings, 

And fourth other than more detailed textures and bigger fps, I didn't see any difference on games like batman lost planet and diablo. 

Again that's my opinion, and I want to thank everyone in this topic for their imput, now I'll try the 1080 and will let you know what I see. 

So a 1080 on the tv. That should give you what you want. Also 32 gigs is prolly close to the norm now. Even my old setup has 32. I noticed and fps increase every 8 gigs I added. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

So a 1080 on the tv. That should give you what you want. Also 32 gigs is prolly close to the norm now. Even my old setup has 32. I noticed and fps increase every 8 gigs I added. 

Oh I didn't know that, I was thinkig that he might use it for work too, so that's why he needs all those gb, I would consider adding more ram to mine, but I think 16gb is more than enough for me.

With a 1080 you should be fine. I still use old crap so I need all I can get. Another reason I took my 1080 strix back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2016 at 6:05 AM, Carlospuron said:

Ok, so after a couple of days of playing on a monitor, I would stay with my tv. 

Let me tell you a little story, my friend has two pcs in what he calls "the man cave", a room he designated for gaming, he has his main rig, a nice built he did recently with a couple of monitors ( now I see the use of 2 monitors) and his first built, each on its own desk he says that he keeps the old one for guests , so in his new set up he has these nice 1440p monitors that he runs with a Gtx 1070 a pretty nice gaming experience, he gave me a chance to use his pc (but why would you need 32gb of ram?)anyway , so I took my pc to his house so I could see what's like to have the pc on a desk and play while sitting on a chair, I spent the weekend playing in there and this is my opinion,

first I didn't like the idea of a smaller display,

second after some time (1 hour or so) it wasn't comfortable for me to be on that chair ( I'm kind of a big guy),

Third I won't say that I didn't notice a difference while playing battlefield 4, csgo and tom Clancy's, cause I did but it wasn't like a huge difference, I usually  end rounds with a positive score on my tv, the difference I noticed was that the textures where more detailed thanks to the ultra settings, 

And fourth other than more detailed textures and bigger fps, I didn't see any difference on games like batman lost planet and diablo. 

Again that's my opinion, and I want to thank everyone in this topic for their imput, now I'll try the 1080 and will let you know what I see. 

For the record even thought people toldme there is input lag on tv final match scores weren't a huge difference between monitor and TV (l think those are good scores for someone who usually plays on weekends), those are two games that I just played on my tv, I took a pic of the tv so you guys can see I'm not lying  ( plus I don't know how to take a screenshot, yes I'm that type of noob)

So I'm just waiting on those black friday deals 

20161016_154910.jpg

14766531790281677006987.jpg

20161016_161537.jpg

Edited by Carlospuron