My schools gift to us

DrMacintosh
Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Westminster California :D basically the poorer side of Orange County 

Holy bananas, I really thought US schools were all expensive or bad. I guess I was wrong.

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

speaking of gift. no I am not giving that gpu for you

Not even a HD 5450? :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Holy bananas, I really thought US schools were all expensive or bad. I guess I was wrong.

I will give you my HD 4600. I already have a 760. It seems an integrated gpu is no needed

Just now, Energycore said:

Our school scored pretty meh last year on our overall scores for state testing, then the district gave us a crap ton of money. We are also building a whole new pool for our swim team (which I am also on) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

That's awesome, I wish my school gave us that :P 

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Our school scored pretty meh last year on our overall scores for state testing, then the district gave us a crap ton of money. We are also building a whole new pool for our swim team (which I am also on) 

Splash Free!

Ah, so your school is spending the money they got on computers instead of good teachers? :P

I assume you're in junior year? I really don't see a reason why your classes would benefit from or even notice the increased performance of the new computers, which is why I say, grab that 512GB NVMe drive and keep it for yourself :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Well when you put it that way. When you think about a product, you stole from Mother Earth to make it.

Another way to look at it, is it cost a company to make it.

So free to whom is the crux.

I would argue even the receiver of the gift, the gift is never free.

A computer well costs money to operate. Time. Pollutants. Plus I bet there is a hidden agenda behind it. Bill Gates maybe wanted a Tax break. Or another company. Maybe its a branding play. They want it set in the gifters mind that X is the best.

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Splash Free!

Ah, so your school is spending the money they got on computers instead of good teachers? :P

I assume you're in junior year? I really don't see a reason why your classes would benefit from or even notice the increased performance of the new computers, which is why I say, grab that 512GB NVMe drive and keep it for yourself :D

The teachers have actually been doing excellent! The normal level students (aka non AP/Merits) just don't care that much and they bring the rest down. All this new tech is the reward for us smart children ;) 

except for the other 2 brand new computer labs that are Dell AiOs that have 256GB NVMe SSDs, 6500s, R7 graphics, and 8GB of RAM. 

Just because we scored meh, doesn't meant those scores were bad. It just means we get more funding xD 

Also, the class benefits from it because we are in that class to learn Adobe and become Adobe certified. Can't do that with old slow computers ;) 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

My High School that I just graduated from this year uses all machines that were low end computers in the XP era... yeah that old. They just upgraded those old machines to Win7 because they had to, but they have the old hardware just this year...

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

Where do you even live?!

My school is free here, but our computer room is mostly Athlon II systems that run very hot and are anything but snappy :(

Probably not the same since it's a university but my school has a lab that is updated every summer with the latest hardware. I don't know the exact specs but I know they have 6700Ks. We also have Dreamspark, or shall I say Imagine, with many different OSes including Server 2012 for free along with many other professional tools that the school provides. My tuition is $0 because I got a scholarship from the state that pays all of my tuition as well as a $20k scholarship from the school itself. Between those two scholarships, I believe it totals somewhere around $45k. We also have a campus dedicated solely to nanotech which includes a fully functioning fab and is parterned with Intel, Samsung, I think TSMC though I'm not sure on that, Qualcomm, a few others as well and GloFo has their R/D center down the road from the campus. Actually a lot of the R/D that goes into new process types is done there. They just converted over to 300mm wafers and are working on 10nm as well as beginning on 7nm.

Congrats on the rewards that your school gave you OP.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Oh yeah? Well my high school had Dells with Celerons and integrated graphics. Let's see you beat that. xD 

Jokes aside, while our computers were crap, we did have a kickass Biotech department...and a couple years after I graduated, they built an entire new wing of the school dedicated to Biotech (I'm so not jealous  D:<). 

Holy shit, those computers are at least worth $1000 each.

Steal one of them :P

A decent amount more if I'm guessing correctly.  Those shiny SSDs are going to be very pricey for that type and size.  The 6700Ks are around $330 or a bit more each.  

Also aren't Quadro GPUs crazy expensive?

So the overal total for each desktop will be certainly more than even $1000.  My guess would be around $2000.

Lol and we have old Fujitsu Siemens Machines with Core2 Duo's and 3GBs of RAM on Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit...

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

3 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

Lol and we have old Fujitsu Siemens Machines with Core2 Duo's and 3GBs of RAM on Windows 8.1 Pro 32bit...

I'm so sorry to hear that...  I haven't used a Core2Duo since like about early spring of 2010.  That was when I got a laptop with a first gen mobile i7 extreme editon.  

Which I moved on from to my current desktop last January.

9 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Oh yeah? Well my high school had Dells with Celerons and integrated graphics. Let's see you beat that. xD 

Jokes aside, while our computers were crap, we did have a kickass Biotech department...and a couple years after I graduated, they built an entire new wing of the school dedicated to Biotech (I'm so not jealous  D:<). 

My high school remodeled a decent chunk of the building like the year after I left...  lol

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My high school remodeled a decent chunk of the building like the year after I left...  lol

Hahaha, it feels bad right? At least for me, we were the first class to spend all four years in a brand new building at my school. All the years before had to spend some or all of their time inside portables.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

My school decided to build a new campus. Fine, thats great right?

It got delayed (cause they needed a high ranking official in the Government to sign papers) and now it opens the year after I graduate (if I make it ;) )

Depends on where you life.  The high school I went to was top notch.  Awesome teachers and everything.  

My freshman year the library aid told me they had money budgeted for new library books and to let her know if there was anything I was interested in that they didn't have.  

So one day I happened to mention that it would be nice if they could get some Indiana Jones books.  

Not long after that I went to the school library and she shows me she ordered the entire series of Indiana Jones novels.  

I read a few that year and then sort of forgot about them until my senior year.  I spent one of my study periods every day senior year mostly reading those books.  It was like book heaven.  ?

11 minutes ago, Magnetorheological said:

Hahaha, it feels bad right? At least for me, we were the first class to spend all four years in a brand new building at my school. All the years before had to spend some or all of their time inside portables.

Just a little. lol  The building was already pretty decent imo.  

What's a portable?  

11 minutes ago, starwarsguy99 said:

My school decided to build a new campus. Fine, thats great right?

It got delayed (cause they needed a high ranking official in the Government to sign papers) and now it opens the year after I graduate (if I make it ;) )

At least it's still happening.

That's sort of like a high school near where I live.  The old building was really bad and messed up so they finally decided to tear it down and build a new high school building in the same spot.  

Now it's rather nice from what I've heard.

I'm sure you'll get through school if you focus on it and study enough.  You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you believe in yourself and try hard.

40 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Probably not the same since it's a university but my school has a lab that is updated every summer with the latest hardware. I don't know the exact specs but I know they have 6700Ks. We also have Dreamspark, or shall I say Imagine, with many different OSes including Server 2012 for free along with many other professional tools that the school provides. My tuition is $0 because I got a scholarship from the state that pays all of my tuition as well as a $20k scholarship from the school itself. Between those two scholarships, I believe it totals somewhere around $45k. We also have a campus dedicated solely to nanotech which includes a fully functioning fab and is parterned with Intel, Samsung, I think TSMC though I'm not sure on that, Qualcomm, a few others as well and GloFo has their R/D center down the road from the campus. Actually a lot of the R/D that goes into new process types is done there. They just converted over to 300mm wafers and are working on 10nm as well as beginning on 7nm.

Congrats on the rewards that your school gave you OP.

Is it ok to ask what state you live in that's so nice with scholarships?

I'd ask what college you go to but I don't want you to feel uncomfortable giving too many hints about where you live if you're worried about that.

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

At least it's still happening.

That's sort of like a high school near where I live.  The old building was really bad and messed up so they finally decided to tear it down and build a new high school building in the same spot.  

Now it's rather nice from what I've heard.

I'm sure you'll get through school if you focus on it and study enough.  You'd be surprised what you can accomplish when you believe in yourself and try hard.

Thanks for the motivation :)

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is it ok to ask what state you live in that's so nice with scholarships?

I'd ask what college you go to but I don't want you to feel uncomfortable giving too many hints about where you live if you're worried about that.

New York but if you really wanted to, you could easily figure out the school based off of my description.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

My university has a bunch of AiOs.  Everything has a Core i5 or better and at least 8GB of RAM.  For Windows AiOs, we have HP and Lenovo.

But a bunch of classes and the library have iMacs.  Not that I mind, since (IMO) MacOS is better than Windows. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

49 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

New York but if you really wanted to, you could easily figure out the school based off of my description.

Idk if I'm that good of a detective.  ?

Thank you for telling me what state.  That's really lucky of you to get scholarships that entirely pay for your college.  Idk that I've ever seen ones that good.  Usually I just hear about the random small ones for like $1,000 or $5,000 or some other smaller amount.  Not ones that pay for eveything.

Do you mind if I ask how you got those scholarships?  Was it that you get really really good grades or something else?

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this topic too much more, would you be ok with me messaging you sometime to ask about your college degree?  

I'd be very interested to hear about a cyber security one.

11 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

A decent amount more if I'm guessing correctly.  Those shiny SSDs are going to be very pricey for that type and size.  The 6700Ks are around $330 or a bit more each.  

Also aren't Quadro GPUs crazy expensive?

So the overal total for each desktop will be certainly more than even $1000.  My guess would be around $2000.

I made an equivalent in pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($315.62 @ B&H)
Video Card: PNY Quadro M2000 4GB Video Card  ($436.97 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1344.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-28 12:27 EDT-0400

Quadros are funny, because you get the same processing power as a GTX 750 Ti for $400. I wonder if the workstation oriented features are worth the markup.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler