Plex introduces new cloud based server: Plex Cloud

rcarteraz
On 9/27/2016 at 8:55 AM, zMeul said:

a server is a server - no matter how large it is

The word 'cloud' has a purpose in that it implies abstractions that give you more flexibility, scalability and redundancy than you get with physical hardware or a singular VM.

A server is more of a device, whether physical or virtual, while 'cloud' is more of a service, whether run by a single user for himself or a company for millions.

It's an obfuscated server. So I guess 'fog' would have been a better name for it, but there is a point in having a distinct name.

3 minutes ago, Ronda said:

The word 'cloud' has a purpose in that it implies abstractions that give you more flexibility, scalability and redundancy than you get with physical hardware or a singular VM.

A server is more of a device, whether physical or virtual, while 'cloud' is more of a service, whether run by the end user or someone else.

It's an obfuscated server. So I guess 'fog' would have been a better name for it, but there is a point in having a distinct name.

cut the crap

the hardware behind it is still a server no matter how many software layers it has

and the service is still a "web service"

"the cloud" does not exist

do I have to wait for it to rain so I can use it?! :dry: what if it's clear outside?

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

cut the crap

the hardware behind it is still a server no matter how many software layers it has

and the service is still a "web service"

That's like insisting on calling public transportation 'buses'

"It doesn't matter how they're organized and for what purpose, don't try to confuse me with your made up buzzwords! I know they're just buses!"

1 minute ago, Ronda said:

That's like insisting on calling public transportation 'buses'

"It doesn't matter how they're organized and for what purpose, don't try to confuse me with your made up buzzwords! I know they're just buses!"

bus - a large motor vehicle designed to carry passengers usually along a fixed route according to a schedule

Merriam Webster

bus - A large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, typically one serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare

Oxford Dictionary

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

bus - a large motor vehicle designed to carry passengers usually along a fixed route according to a schedule

Merriam Webster

bus - A large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, typically one serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare

Oxford Dictionary

so trains are just buses?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

so trains are just buses?

train - A series of connected railway carriages or wagons moved by a locomotive or by integral motors

On 9/26/2016 at 6:02 PM, jaggysnake57 said:

yeah i dont get it personally

plex is a rip off considering the features you get with kodi and the systems you can run on. i have plex at the min because it runs on my ps3 i will get an amazon fire tv soon and get rid of plex all together

Ease of use and the plug & play setup. I was a long time Kodi fan, but setting it up to start on boot, and get all the plugins working was a pain.

Plex just works. You run the server, you run the client, and it just works. It's amazing.

I fully plan on buying the lifetime membership as soon as I have some extra money left. Even the free version is amazing, as long as you stay within a local network.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

28 minutes ago, zMeul said:

train - A series of connected railway carriages or wagons moved by a locomotive or by integral motors

but a train can match the definition of bus. so some trains are buses.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

"The Cloud" is nothing more than a marketing term designed to be intentionally ambiguous so that the salesman in question can provide assurance that it will meet the customer's needs.

Data centers, SANs and large distributed computational systems existed long before "The Cloud".  It is nothing new, just a re-branding to market leases on some companies' excess infrastructure.

Or to carry on the public transit analogy, It's not like labeling all public transit "buses".  It is like renaming public transit as a whole to "Super Get-You-There Service" in an attempt to make it sound more exciting.

3 hours ago, ElfenSky said:

Ease of use and the plug & play setup. I was a long time Kodi fan, but setting it up to start on boot, and get all the plugins working was a pain.

Plex just works. You run the server, you run the client, and it just works. It's amazing.

I fully plan on buying the lifetime membership as soon as I have some extra money left. Even the free version is amazing, as long as you stay within a local network.

kodi is easy to set up epscially on things like the shield tv, and it runs really well. kodi on the other hand is a nightmare. dosnt work with a vpn

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

2 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

kodi is easy to set up epscially on things like the shield tv, and it runs really well. kodi on the other hand is a nightmare. doesnt work with a vpn

pls edit which one is which. I assume one of those is meant to be plex, but which?

Also, why do you need a VPN for either of the two o.O?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 minute ago, ElfenSky said:

pls edit which one is which. I assume one of those is meant to be plex, but which?

i think its obvious that the second kodi was ment to be plex

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

26 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

i think its obvious that the second kodi was ment to be plex

Not really, since it worked flawlessly for me (and the majority of other people). Could have been a supporting comment :P

52 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Not really, since it worked flawlessly for me (and the majority of other people). Could have been a supporting comment :P

yeah i slate plex then praise them in the same thread......

1 minute ago, jaggysnake57 said:

yeah i slate plex then praise them in the same thread......

Oh lol you're the dude I quoted. I should pay more attention to the nicknames.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried this a few months back as an alternative to having my PC on all the time. Given the large library I have, it was horrible at uploading anything to "the cloud". Say I tried to upload a full season of a show, it would do one episode then refuse to carry on.

Utterly pointless at the minute.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

On 26/09/2016 at 6:59 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

For those of you that do or don't run Kodi instead of Plex, do you guys know how well Kodi runs non-locally, and in particular does Kodi allow for direct streaming of HVEC media? Because that is the most important missing feature I see with Plex (for Windows anyways, and for some ungodly reason it doesn't support direct stream of the .mkv format).

Hmm I think mine consumes about 40W so that is about 50 dollars a year in electricity. About a wash then

I run kodi on all my android boxes and phone/tablets etc... and I stream from my NAS with no problems whatsoever if that's what you meant when you said non-locally? or did you mean streaming from WAN, such as cloud services?

[edit] Sorry forgot to add that if the device can play it then it has no problems with HEVC h.265 media... all my devices can play these fortunately, even the £32 android 4k box :)

[another edit] I don't use plex though as I don't see the point in transcoding in general on my devices/NAS, I just get/make the file which is accessible to all the devices, which is usually mp4/mkv and x264/x265. I very rarely find that something isn't suitable on such and such device, usually the oldest, but then I just re-code it into a more suitable filetype/format etc and leave the original as is too.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

I run kodi on all my android boxes and phone/tablets etc... and I stream from my NAS with no problems whatsoever if that's what you meant when you said non-locally? or did you mean streaming from WAN, such as cloud services?

[edit] Sorry forgot to add that if the device can play it then it has no problems with HEVC h.265 media... all my devices can play these fortunately, even the £32 android 4k box :)

[another edit] I don't use plex though as I don't see the point in transcoding in general on my devices/NAS, I just get/make the file which is accessible to all the devices, which is usually mp4/mkv and x264/x265. I very rarely find that something isn't suitable on such and such device, usually the oldest, but then I just re-code it into a more suitable filetype/format etc and leave the original as is too.

As in from WAN (not local network).

Reuploading another copy of the file completely obliterates the point of only using x265 anyways.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Yeah this is a bad idea for Plex... Once companies start coming after them because their users are uploading pirated content... This will be restricted if not shut down with months of that happening.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

14 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

As in from WAN (not local network).

Reuploading another copy of the file completely obliterates the point of only using x265 anyways.

Ahh I see, haven't actually ever streamed from WAN while using kodi... can't see why it wouldn't work though if you've added the server correctly in kodi. And yes I agree that if it was to a cloud service I wouldn't upload another copy of the same file... I would just watch it on a different device that could play it. Though from memory I think the only device in my house that couldn't natively play back HEVC, was my older TV... that now has an Android box hooked up to it to get around that limitation and now it plays everything through the box absoloutely fine.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 10/5/2016 at 4:08 PM, The Benjamins said:

but a train can match the definition of bus. so some trains are buses.

Interesting how i just found out trains are buses.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

6 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Interesting how i just found out trains are buses.

Yeah pretty sure trains and buses are two different things. Even though they might have the same use/purpose, they are two different machines.

That is like saying a TI-82 is a GTX 1080...

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Yeah pretty sure trains and buses are two different things. Even though they might have the same use/purpose, they are two different machines.

But by definition some trains are buses :|. I know they are different and I'm not about to go out and call trains buses, but the definition of a bus is very vague like "a large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, typically one serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare." you can't be more vague than that.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I'm not going to argue numbers and just admit the truth: I enjoy the HOBBY of running, upgrading, and maintain my media storage server.  It's a fun thing to do on the side occasionally even if there could be better ways to do it and aside from having to upload 25.5GB to the cloud.