Would a second rx 480 8gb help with modded skyrim?

spiralfuzion

I've been modding skyrim and have been adding some 4k textures for the game. I'm wondering if adding another card could help with framrates and give me more headroom for adding more mods and such.

w/ 8gb of vram i dont see why it shud be a problem to begin with ? 

my pal runs skyrim modded on his Pentium g3250 + gtx 750 mashine and it runs fine , including mods and running vsync while on ultra 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

w/ 8gb of vram i dont see why it shud be a problem to begin with ? 

my pal runs skyrim modded on his Pentium g3250 + gtx 750 mashine and it runs fine , including mods and running vsync while on ultra 

I'm just worried I'd hit a wall so I'm just planning ahead of time. i do like 2k and 4k textures but have only just started heavily modding. I guess I'll know when i hit it but if so I'm asking just to know because I always need to be near 60 fps most of the time.

The 2011 release of Skyrim is locked to 30fps (unless you wanna deal with whacked-out in-game physics since the physics engine is directly tied to the frame rate, and was designed for a consistent 30fps) no matter other graphical settings, so you'll generally be fine with almost any GPU since late-2011 you throw the game at for the resolution of choice.

I found out about how whacked-out the physics get when running above 30fps when I built Beast rig a few years ago and went to maximise the processing power my 6GB 780 could provide the game... was not a happy chappy trying to play it even at a 60fps v-sync.

Just now, spiralfuzion said:

I'm just worried I'd hit a wall so I'm just planning ahead of time. i do like 2k and 4k textures but have only just started heavily modding. I guess I'll know when i hit it but if so I'm asking just to know because I always need to be near 60 fps most of the time.

its skyrim , w/ that hardware the old as balls engine (its morrowind on steroids) is the limit , skyrim isnt even using all your threads , a dualcore runs it just aswell as a quadcore

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Technous285 said:

The 2011 release of Skyrim is locked to 30fps (unless you wanna deal with whacked-out in-game physics since the physics engine is directly tied to the frame rate, and was designed for a consistent 30fps) no matter other graphical settings, so you'll generally be fine with almost any GPU since late-2011 you throw the game at for the resolution of choice.

I found out about how whacked-out the physics get when running above 30fps when I built Beast rig a few years ago and went to maximise the processing power my 6GB 780 could provide the game... was not a happy chappy trying to play it even at a 60fps v-sync.

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

its skyrim , w/ that hardware the old as balls engine (its morrowind on steroids) is the limit , skyrim isnt even using all your threads , a dualcore runs it just aswell as a quadcore

I just love the look of modded skyrim and I would also be recording with obs really soon so I assume the answer would be yes if recording does become involved. 

My spec list 

i7 4770 3.4Ghz 

Rx 480 8gb xfx black edition

32gb ddr3 1600mhz

Just now, spiralfuzion said:

I just love the look of modded skyrim and I would also be recording with obs really soon so I assume the answer would be yes if recording does become involved. 

My spec list 

i7 4770 3.4Ghz 

Rx 480 8gb xfx black edition

32gb ddr3 1600mhz

32gigs , well thats overkill 

dude you are fine , it will work just fine , unless you install 127 thousand mods

PSU Tier list

8 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

No...it actually doesn't And I found that out by using my Core 2 Duo E8500 at 4.4GHz, and then my Xeon X5450 at stock.

3 minutes ago, Technous285 said:

A single 8GB RX480 will be MORE than enough processing power to run even ultra-modded Skyrim, as most of the OBS workload will be on the CPU/SysRAM anyway.

Pst, ever made a GTX 970 cry? it only takes Skyrim....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

No...it actually doesn't And I found that out by using my Core 2 Duo E8500 at 4.4GHz, and then my Xeon X5450 at stock.

well i was talking about something like an Pentium G3250 / 58 and a I7 4790 , you know , same architecture , same IPC , same per core performance when clocked the same speed?  i didnt mean a sempron 2650 and a i5 6600

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Space Reptile said:

well i was talking about something like an Pentium G3250 / 58 and a I7 4790 , you know , same architecture , same IPC , same per core performance when clocked the same speed?  i didnt mean a sempron 2650 and a i5 6600

The C2D at 4.4GHz is around as fast as a stock G3258, and the Xeon if I overclocked is close to an i5 4440.... Either way, an i5 4440 can easily be maxed out by Skyrim, though not as frequently as in FO4.

PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The C2D at 4.4GHz is around as fast as a stock G3258

nah

nope.png

PSU Tier list

Sure. It'll give you a higher fps but more headaches. 

Dual cards never work well with skyrim. They are a stutter-y mess. Your best bet is a stronger card. There is no end to skyrim. Even the Titan XP will fall to its knees running my config at 4K. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 hours ago, Pohernori said:

Sure. It'll give you a higher fps but more headaches. 

Dual cards never work well with skyrim. They are a stutter-y mess. Your best bet is a stronger card. There is no end to skyrim. Even the Titan XP will fall to its knees running my config at 4K. 

SLI seems to be ok for the most part with Skyrim....

PMSL

15 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

SLI seems to be ok for the most part with Skyrim....

Hit and miss. Its heavily dependant on whether or not the author of a specific enb preset optimises for SLI like CF. 

If the author has a dual card setup then you're in luck. 

Best solution is still single most powerful GPU. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case