How to remove 3-pin wall socket?

Freezanator

Sorry for posting such a topic on Linus Tech Tips even though its for non-tech related posts (No other sites came across my mind and I :x the great community here). So, how do I remove the 2 tiny circular caps? The caps are preventing me from accessing the screws underneath them. I've got a replacement cover since this one is faulty. (I can't turn off the heater)

P1010869.JPG

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

Look like they should just pop off. Jimmy a screwdriver under one.

Probably turn the power off first though.

8 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

Look like they should just pop off. Jimmy a screwdriver under one.

Probably turn the power off first though.

Yeah @Freezanator you just pry the caps off with a flat-head screwdriver. Just try to use one of the smaller sizes, as the thinner head will make it easier to get under there.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

just pry them off, alternativly superglue something to them and pull them off but that requires time and effort :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I usually use a razor blade for caps like that.  It is usually thin enough to get some purchase on the edge.  Just be careful so you do not cut yourself or cut the cap (if you care about aesthetics).  

Thanks everyone here for your replies. I managed to successfully remove the caps and replace the wall socket. I actually forgot to turn off the power and got a little shock when touching one of the wires inside xD. It just sent a vibration through my arm and felt a little ticklish. Once again, thanks for everyone for taking your time to reply!

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 

2 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

Thanks everyone here for your replies. I managed to successfully remove the caps and replace the wall socket. I actually forgot to turn off the power and got a little shock when touching one of the wires inside xD. It just sent a vibration through my arm and felt a little ticklish. Once again, thanks for everyone for taking your time to reply!

Just so you know, power from the wall can kill you if it strikes you the wrong way - Most outlets can deliver over 1500 Watts of electricity (Standard US is 120V at 15A = 1800W).

So next time remember to shut off the breaker :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Just so you know, power from the wall can kill you if it strikes you the wrong way - Most outlets can deliver over 1500 Watts of electricity (Standard US is 120V at 15A = 1800W).

Agreed but who hasn't been electrocuted a little bit lol

1 minute ago, Charger said:

Agreed but who hasn't been electrocuted a little bit lol

Yeah but still, common sense says that can kill you :P

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What do you mean 'in the wrong way'? 

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300

4 minutes ago, Freezanator said:

What do you mean 'in the wrong way'? 

Well, how the electricity flows through your body directly relates to the risk associated with it. Basically, anything flowing from one side to the other (Eg: Left hand to right hand), has a very strong chance of crossing through the heart. If that happens, your heart has a high chance of failure.

So if one contact point was your knee, and the other was your toe, for example, then that's not super dangerous.

Same with a single finger, since the electricity is mostly just going to travel through the finger tip. Electricity likes to take the path of least resistance. Unfortunately, if the contact points are on either side of your body, that path usually takes it through the chest cavity.

It also depends on the physical conditions around - if you're wet, if anything you're wearing might make things worse, etc.

I use a fork to cater to all my electrical needs!

You're not a man unless you lost your virginity to a 2x4.