What is the best graphics card for a pci-e 3.0 x8 slot?

purely for aesthetics and because I won't be spending $1,000 on a graphics card for a few more years, I am using my 2nd slot instead of my first, which is a pci-e 3.0 x8 slot. If I were going to upgrade my graphics card what is the highest I would want to go? Would say a GTX 980 or 1070 bottleneck at all on a 3.0 x8 slot?

You'd be fine even with a Titan X[P].

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They won't bottleneck, but it has to be a pcie x16 slot physically for the cards to fit, electrically it can be x8.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Nothing bottlenecks PCI-E 2.0 slots yet, you will be fine. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You'd be fine even with a Titan X[P].

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

They won't bottleneck, but it has to be a pcie x16 slot physically for the cards to fit, electrically it can be x8.

2 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Nothing bottlenecks PCI-E 2.0 slots yet, you will be fine. 

This seems crazy to me, so there is literally no reason for a 3.0 x16 to exist yet? there is no instance where a 3.0 x16 would ever be needed over a 3.0 x8?

Just now, Kevin11 said:

This seems crazy to me, so there is literally no reason for a 3.0 x16 to exist yet? there is no instance where a 3.0 x16 would ever be needed over a 3.0 x8?

At this point, no. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 minutes ago, Kevin11 said:

Really it is just for backwards compatability, and because pretty much all because almost all gpus are x16, and also so that future devices like pcie ssds have the ability to use the whole capability of 3.0x16 if someone creates a fast enough one.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, Kevin11 said:

100gbe.

You can't run  a dual 100gbe all full bandwidth.

pcie is ~160gb/s

35 minutes ago, Kevin11 said:

It's for things besides gaming. Games aren't heavy on PCI Express bandwidth, they don't need very much. Other applications, like high intensity compute, do need a lot. In fact that is why supercomputers are looking for replacements to PCIe 3.0 like NVLink, because PCIe 3.0 ×16 does not provide enough bandwidth. But for gaming, even PCIe 3.0 ×4 is enough.

39 minutes ago, Kevin11 said:

As said by @Glenwing, but I shall reinforce what he said. When it comes to gaming you can't come even close to the amount of information needed to bottleneck on PCIe lanes. when gaming the CPU and GPU do a lot of work individually, but the actual amount of communication between them (this is when the lanes would be utilized) is quite small in comparison to other high end application types.