i5 4670k vs. Xeon E3-1230V3

So ive been looking into this whole Xeon's for gaming thing and have found it to be amazing! The only real issue i found so far is simply this, while it is a DUH that Xeon's multipliers are locked, they have hyper threading and more cache then the i5. This is important for new upcoming games like Battlefield 4 which take advantage of extra threads. In your opinions, Would it be better to have hyper threading or an overclocked CPU? Keep in mind that Haswell is not a very good overclocking CPU and are hard to get a good chip. This i know because i own a 4770k and can hardly do anything above 4 ghz on water.

| Gaming/Folding Rig: | 4770k @ 4.4GHZ w/ Thermaltake Extreme 3.0 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2x DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti @ 1208mhz | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB | Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Samsung 840 256gb | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair C70 | 3x ASUS MX239H Monitors |

So ive been looking into this whole Xeon's for gaming thing and have found it to be amazing! The only real issue i found so far is simply this, while it is a DUH that Xeon's multipliers are locked, they have hyper threading and more cache then the i5. This is important for new upcoming games like Battlefield 4 which take advantage of extra threads. In your opinions, Would it be better to have hyper threading or an overclocked CPU? Keep in mind that Haswell is not a very good overclocking CPU and are hard to get a good chip. This i know because i own a 4770k and can hardly do anything above 4 ghz on water.

i7 at stock will be slower than i5 overclocked as far as single thread goes but in games that use additional threads you will see higher FPS with i7 at stock.

i'd take Xeon e3-1230v3 over i5 any day.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

I suggest changing your thread title or your question. Preferably swapping them.

"Would it be better to have hyper threading or an overclocked CPU?" Should be the title.

"i5 4670k vs. Xeon E3-1230V3" Should be the question in your first post. 

You go vague -> specific. Not the other way around. 

Some people can't be bothered to read the OP, but they do have to read the Title. So making the title something they will stick to rather than actually considering your true question of "Would it be better to have hyper threading or an overclocked CPU?" will just make it worse on the thread. 

Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Don't get the E3 1230V3, get the 1230v2 instead, it's an i7 3770, but unlike the i7 4770, you can overclock it by 400mhz.

if you just game get the i5 .however wait for bf4 release and see some benchmarks. if you edit some videos ,stream or stuff like that AND game,get the xeon for sure couse its an i7.

Don't get the E3 1230V3, get the 1230v2 instead, it's an i7 3770, but unlike the i7 4770, you can overclock it by 400mhz.

false because haswell i7 at 4200 is faster than ivy bridge i7 at 4500mhz.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

This is one of the never ending questions and it will never be answered.

Not really. 

Hyperthreading doesn't add more threads but instead just uses the cores differently.

HT doesn't really help gaming because it really only helps applications that aren't using the cores optimally in the first place. This is not really so in games so games take little to not benefit from HT and can at times perform worse. Even application optimized to take advantage of HT only get ~20% increase in performance from no HT to HT.

Basically, the 4670k easily beats the 1230 V3 in gaming. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

false because haswell i7 at 4200 is faster than ivy bridge i7 at 4500mhz.

I never claimed that a 3770 at 4500mhz was faster than the 4770 at 4200mhz.

An i7 37701230v2 with the 400mhz stepping is DEFINITELY faster than the i7 4770/1230v3 at stock, because you CAN'T overclock it.

While you CAN overclock the E3 1230v2 by 400mhz.

I suggest waiting for BF4 release and then see how i7 performs against i5. If i7 is more powerful, then take Xeon-1230V3, if not take i5 and OC it...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I never claimed that a 3770 at 4500mhz was faster than the 4770 at 4200mhz.

An i7 37701230v2 with the 400mhz stepping is DEFINITELY faster than the i7 4770/1230v3 at stock, because you CAN'T overclock it.

While you CAN overclock the E3 1230v2 by 400mhz.

lol you dont understand do you? i7 haswell has around 400mhz overhead just by the Instructions Per Cycle increase over ivy bridge which is enough to make it faster than i7 ivy bridge (xeon) overclocked by 400mhz... and on top of that Haswell has additional features able to accelerate specific workloads.

haswell xeon has an edge over ivy bridge, but its up to author of the thread to choose whether he wants to pay for it. haswell mobos also have updated featureset.

Mind you this is for a friend not me, i already own a 4770k, he is running a 7990 with a 6300 fx :P so we have been looking at all options and we were dead set on just getting an i5 until i saw the Xeon for the same price. Now we already know that the beta for Battlefield 4 used the extra threads so we know this, plus he has an old Corsiar air cooler so overclocking is kinda hard especially with Haswell being the furnace that it is with extra volts. 

| Gaming/Folding Rig: | 4770k @ 4.4GHZ w/ Thermaltake Extreme 3.0 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2x DirectCUII GTX 780 Ti @ 1208mhz | Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB | Seasonic Platinum 1000w | Samsung 840 256gb | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair C70 | 3x ASUS MX239H Monitors |

lol you dont understand do you? i7 haswell has around 400mhz overhead just by the Instructions Per Cycle increase over ivy bridge which is enough to make it faster than i7 ivy bridge (xeon) overclocked by 400mhz... and on top of that Haswell has additional features able to accelerate specific workloads.

haswell xeon has an edge over ivy bridge, but its up to author of the thread to choose whether he wants to pay for it. haswell mobos also have updated featureset.

Thank you. This is the reason we were going Haswell, since we are pretty much staying at stock speeds, which is faster (slightly) then Ivy, plus the mobos have muuuuch better features then Ivy so we get more for the money on the mobo side.

since we are pretty much staying at stock speeds

get the xeon for sure then. also gaming=better gpu than cpu OC  and he certainly has that 

get the xeon for sure then. also gaming=better gpu than cpu OC  and he certainly has that 

The exact reason we need a new CPU for him hahaha

Not really. 

Hyperthreading doesn't add more threads but instead just uses the cores differently.

HT doesn't really help gaming because it really only helps applications that aren't using the cores optimally in the first place. This is not really so in games so games take little to not benefit from HT and can at times perform worse. Even application optimized to take advantage of HT only get ~20% increase in performance from no HT to HT.

Basically, the 4670k easily beats the 1230 V3 in gaming. 

There's many many more opinions, and everyone thinks they're right. So yeah, it won't be answered. 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

There's many many more opinions, and everyone thinks they're right. So yeah, it won't be answered. 

Opinions don't affect performance in games.

Just because people don't accept the answer doesn't mean there isn't one.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Opinions don't affect performance in games.

Just because people don't accept the answer doesn't mean there isn't one.

Well there is an answer, but it will NEVER BE FOUND!

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

No that's completely and totally wrong, a 3770K at 4.5Ghz is faster than a 4770K at 4.2Ghz, the Xeon E3 1230V2 is less expensive than the 1230V3 and you can overclock it to 4.2Ghz, that's significantly more than the stock 1230V3 which is completely locked, so you can't overclock it at all.

No that's completely and totally wrong, a 3770K at 4.5Ghz is faster than a 4770K at 4.2Ghz, the Xeon E3 1230V2 is less expensive than the 1230V3 and you can overclock it to 4.2Ghz, that's significantly more than the stock 1230V3 which is completely locked, so you can't overclock it at all.

that 4.2 ghz is for one core only. 3.8 max on all cores.

that 4.2 ghz is for one core only. 3.8 max on all cores.

Thats at stock, you can overclock the V2 by 4 steppings/400mhz , the V4 is completly locked & can't be overclocked at all thats why I dont recommend it.

Thats at stock, you can overclock the V2 by 4 steppings/400mhz , the V4 is completly locked & can't be overclocked at all thats why I dont recommend it.

at stock is 3.8 for one core.3.3 for all. do you know how turbo works ? 

Xeon, it had HT( You'll probably won't use it that often) and is tested for reliability.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

Its not too long until battlefield 4 will be out so you could just wait and see the benchmarks to give an idea of what to get

CPU:Intel i7 2700k OC @4.9Ghz cooled by custom water loop with xpsc dual240 rads, xpsc block and 750 pump/res|Ram:G-Skill RipJaw X 32GB 1866Mhz|Case: Corsair 750D|Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Z77| Hard drive: 240GB Kingston SSD, Seagate 2TB, 1TB Hitachi |GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC cooled by custom water loop with xpsc gtx 770 block|PSU: Corsair HX750|Monitor: LG 27 inch IPS LED Cinema| Sound Card: Creative Fatal1ty X-FI professional| Build log:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64792-just-finished-off-first-watercooled-rig/