Windows 8.1 released

GoodBytes

Servers are way more free now!

Getting ~21 Mbps! (what the task manager is saying)

Do you look at the Store or the Service Host: Local System because store doesn't seem to be using the internet...

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Do you look at the Store or the Service Host: Local System because store doesn't seem to be using the internet...

I am looking at the Task Manage network section. I am not doing anything. It's being installed on the laptop, where I just re-installed Windows 8 (had 8.1 Preview). So I don't even have a single software installed. I am using my desktop for everything, while waiting.

I don't see that option anywhere in the store :/

Even tried with the MS links.

Open Task Manager, go to Performance tab, and click on Ethernet on the side.

I accually like it. The only gripes I have with it is the new search function. Why does it have to be a separate app (that I have to close)?

I hate hitting enter to see all my results also.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

And that is what I monitored. As I have nothing else the system was doing (all system updates were done), so it must represent the speed of the Windows 8.1 being downloaded.

P.S: When the progress bar reaches 50%, it starts installing, and no longer downloading.

Oooh settings for search...

Win+I > Change PC Settings (at the bottom) > Search and apps, you have some options there.

[edit]Noting to help you though, @TheMissxu :/[/edit]

Oooh settings for search...

Win+I > Change PC Settings (at the bottom) > Search and apps, you have some options there.

[edit]Noting to help you though, @TheMissxu :/[/edit]

Yeah, I also like the expanded modern ui settings. But even turing off the bing aid doesn't change the separate search app. (I don't think...)

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Need all Windows 8 updates installed? That is a problem for me because the latest updates stop my computer from booting up.

nope just one K1f6Aty.png

but the weird thing is my windows 8 is not even activated still its letting me update xD

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Thanks for informing, i just started to download.

This creeps me out, because i have 3-updates which i can install

Its has to be installed through the store un the start screen.

oh god, update to Windows 8.1 for free? Is that their subtle way of telling us that they will be charging for updates in the coming future? Oh man pirate websites are going to have a field day when that comes around

Yes they plan to have a upgrade cycle like prior to win95 and how osx currently is. The main reason this is free is they kinda missed a few things last time aeound :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/66350-windows-81-to-be-released-today/#entry907079

YAYA xD I can't believe it's out now :D but btw I can't download it yet :|

Look in the store on the start screen

just a side note, I've personally found that booting to desktop is slower than just booting normally and then going into desktop, but that might be caused by some of my auto start program. YMMV

Where is that option I havnt taken the time to poke around yet.

i wanna update too but there is only one problem damm my internet is too fukin damn slow !

but tell me how it went if its worth updating for windows users

If you have 8 yes it is but if you have like 7 then thats up to you. It just 8 with some updates tweaks and optimizations. Also the dl is just under 4gb or so.

Well then this is all bull! and you cant even get it with the in desktop os windows updater, you have to use the store app :(

Lots of people dont like this thing is their used to service packs this isnt one its an upgrade and will probably be the only completly free on if everything goes well.

I just hate everything metro, I get annoyed when I'm forced to use it when I shouldn't have too.

Its like not using google play on android...

Yeah I just don't like windows 8 start menu i just place all my most used apps on the taskbar i find it much faster

Then you have no need for a start menu or start screen really...

May people arw like you according to microsoft telemetry which is why the start memu was replaced.

My god, I hate the windows8 app store so much. Every time your internet disconnects or you reboot your computer you have to start your downloads all over again; I've had to restart the download 3 times so far. This paired with the terrible interface and slow download speed has made updating a truly awful experience.

I dont know of any app stores that resume downloads. Their actually arnt that many things downlaoading wise that can resume. I should point out that windows update is no different, so youd encounter this either way.

I've been downloading this for about 3 hours now on a 25mb/s connection, the Windows 8 app store is so slooooooooow.

When did it an hour after launch took less than an hour to dl after supper in my other pc and idk it took longer and I havnt checked. My guess is this is by and far the largest load the store has taken.

Personally, I do NOT see ANY sort of incentive to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Im currently on Windows 8 using "Start8" from Stardock and it works fine. The metro screen has been non-existent to me since I installed Windows 8. So, if anyone can help me out here, are there any major updates to the desktop version of Windows 8.1 or am I correct in saying that it has been untouched?

Its free? How is that not encentive enough? Also start8 is updatd to work with 8.1 but personally I ditched it since gettingbuse to the start screen.

-> Unified search with web search

-> Improved Start Screen management

-> Improved mixing Modern UI app and desktop

-> Kernel updated to NT 6.3 (no details on it)

-> VPN support for Modern UI apps

-> Work Folder (Private SkyDrive like system for companies. Required Windows Server to set it up.. again for companies)

-> NFC Tap-to-pair Printing

-> Wi-Fi Direct Printing

-> Native Miracast Wireless Display

-> Microsoft Precision Touch touchpad technology (on supported touch pads)

-> Remote Business Data Removal

-> Improved Biometrics support

-> Pervasive Device Encryption support

-> Boot to Desktop

-> Start Screen can now have the desktop background

-> Colored Desktop programs tiles (picks one based on the color of the icons, unless specified by the program)

-> Shutdown/restart/sleep command on the power menu

-> SkyDrive intergartion

-> Skydrive syncs system settings, wireless password and more between your systems (laptops, tablet, desktop)

-> Show All Apps View on Start Screen by default instead of tiles

-> IE11

-> Broadband Tethering

-> 3D printer API's

That's for the "desktop" side, as you call it.

Nit to mention its free and who doesnt like free?

My Windows 8.1 is installed :D YAYAYAY xD

I got it ;)

Look in the store on the start screen

Umm they did it in batches, my country took a while. and if you had kept reading posts I had installed it *points up ;)

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

I got it ;)

Umm they did it in batches, my country took a while. and if you had kept reading posts I had installed it *points up ;)

Well it was 10am pacific for the US that it was made available, no clue on other countries...

Forgot to ask, is anyone able to get legit MSDN ISOs? I would like the for clean installs so I wouldnt have to do the upgrade everytime.

-text-

ur saying as its no biggie like i can download 4 gb in a sec ....

my internet speed is only 30 kbps u know

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Well it was 10am pacific for the US that it was made available, no clue on other countries...

only like an hour later :D

agreed took me ages to dowload!

PROFILEYEAH

Sorry that you can only dl at 30kbps? To clarify its ~3.4gb. And I dont think I said it would take a second but many people on the forum do download full games regularly and most of those are probably bigger than 4gb. What kind of connection are you as its aufully slow.

only like an hour later :D

agreed took me ages to dowload!

Not much I can say really?

Sorry that you can only dl at 30kbps? To clarify its ~3.4gb. And I dont think I said it would take a second but many people on the forum do download full games regularly and most of those are probably bigger than 4gb. What kind of connection are you as its aufully slow.

its the best affordable plan my country could offer ...

3040821093.png

i pay 16 $ a month for it

You don't have to day anything ;) I'm gunna start calling you deadpool xD the merc with the mouth ;) no but seriously, I live up a mountain. So like they haven't been bothered to give us any good connection up here ! But yeah my connection sucks :(

PROFILEYEAH