Post Screen/BIOS doesn't display with DisplayPort

DrJones
On 6/27/2021 at 5:29 AM, throwaway3224 said:

This needs a warning because sometimes after updating this firmware the next boot results in nothing on the display on a previously working system. After a hard reset due to lack of options the second boot was successful for me. Just making the point that this is not without risk as people are scrambling to meet Windows 11 requirements.

sometimes? i installed this, and restarted nothing bad happend to me thank goodness.

i have no idea what went wrong on your end tbh, i used this updater on a gtx 980

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, cyan_echo said:

Well following the trend of the last two replies - created an account just to help out lost souls :D

Unfortunately none of the suggestions above worked(but still give them a try since it worked for some). What worked for me is Nvidia's firmware update tool it was created to address this issue specifically:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

When you run it, it'll tell you whether the firmware needs updating. Once it's done I was able to see the boot screen and get into bios using displayport!

Thank you so much for this info! This worked on my MSI 1070.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 8:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

Well following the trend of the last two replies - created an account just to help out lost souls :D

Unfortunately none of the suggestions above worked(but still give them a try since it worked for some). What worked for me is Nvidia's firmware update tool it was created to address this issue specifically:

When you run it, it'll tell you whether the firmware needs updating. Once it's done I was able to see the boot screen and get into bios using displayport!

Before i have monitors only with VGA and DVI connections and bios screen always was visible.Now i buy monitor with display port connection and bios screen was gone. Thanks man, your solution works for me. Now i see bios screen! 😀 👍

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

Just adding to the chorus - this fixed the issue on my GTX970 immediately. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

Like many others, I created an account to comment that this worked for me 100%.

Did a new build and used a DVI monitor to configure BIOS and Windows install which caused no issues with getting into BIOS. When I moved my computer to connect to my monitor (Dell S3422DWG) that uses DP 1.4, I couldn't get into BIOS again but could with HDMI. Just built a new AMD system and I was thinking it was a compatibility issue with my Nvidia card (GTX1060) and was severely rethinking my choice to go with AMD this time around. Thanks to cyan_echo's post, the firmware update is what I needed. Didn't get any issues at all, screen flashed a few times like it should have and was warned about at the link and after the reboot, saw the bios splash screen on Display Port.

I used the Nvidia Display Port firmware update on a brand new and updated version of Windows 11 Education. No install issues or odd behavior after the firmware update.

Well i also created an account, but to share my experience... I have a slightly different solution. (with some drawbacks)

I had the problem 2 years ago when i first installed the computer. i fixed it, but didnt remember how ;-0
This time i updated the bios. I called ASUS because i thought i had screwed it up and my screen was staying blank. But.... while talking to the technician suddenly the login screen appeared.

So, remembering the problem i put my hd tv on the hdmi port and there it was.. bios and post on the tv.. and after login in windows both screens work.

Here the specs of the PC: asus Z390-P Motherboard, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHzI7 With 64 Gig of Ram and nvidia RTX 2060 Super graphix card.

To solve the problem, I put everything on uefi in the bios csm settings... nothing changed. in the graphics section, one setting on auto.
In my despair i looked into the nvidia software that installs itself with the drivers. in the nvidia control panel sound settings it says:

dp: no sound (which is correct, my 4k samsung monitor has no sound.)

but for the tv it says : hdmi: and it gives the 4k samsung monitor as sound source!!! (the 4K monitor has no sound)
So i switch it to "no sound" and voila--- i reboot and it boots normally...

But after reboot:
If the tv stays connected, its the same problem after second reboot, because the sound settings jump back to hdmi from no sound.

It works if i remove the tv and redo the settings to "hdmi= no sound".

I also went to the windows sound settings (where you can chose playback and recording devices) and in the output devices i disabled all the drivers except the realtek speaker and headphone output. that is the only ones i use.

Probably if you play games you will need those drivers but i dont, i only use the pc for video editing.. so this works fine for me.

I hope i did not write something completely stupid, as english is not my mother tongue all the setting are in german on my machine, so maybe the settings a slightly different in real english english.

Keep it up

Luc

• 1 month later...

Same problem on my setup, no POST screen, also USB are disabled at that time. So its a problem with dualboot (Fedora + Win). And boot time are terrible too

Strix X570-E (BIOS/UEFI v4021) + TUF 3080 + Samsung CF791

With HDMI no problem, also DP + CSM enabled no problem.

But when CSM is enabled, Resizable BAR is disabled, sooo 😕

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

I just created a account to say i love you for this info!

• 1 month later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:20 PM, cyan_echo said:

Hello from the grim future of 2022, I can confirm this fix still works and solved my issue

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 10:27 PM, Eggy1968 said:

Anyway, to the point finally.
In the motherboard BIOS settings under the BOOT menu (on my board) there is an option called "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)". This is Enabled by default. Changing this to Disabled instantly fixed the issue. You may want to also try 'Auto' in case you have other non-UEFI devices connected but this may not work, it didn't for me.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

Disabling CSM support under boot options in my Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7 bios fixed the problem for me!. Justed wanted to say thank you!. No more cable swapping each time i need to enter the bios 😃

• 6 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 11:50 PM, cyan_echo said:

Created an account to post this. I tried everything but nothing worked. This simply fixed every problem I had. Thanks for posting this time saving godsend reply. Before this I had 1 Deep Beep and 2 Normal Beeps when pc starts and monitor only turned on after windows on Login Screen. After updating the firmware as mentioned this finally fixed my issue. Gtx 970 with 2K monitor. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 12/23/2020 at 9:44 AM, Asura Deva said:

I just made an account to say these solutions helped me.

I had a problem with 2 screens on DP not showing anything before Win login.

CSM was disabled by default so i Enabled it

Boot Device Control: UEFI 

BOot from network Device: UEFI only

Boot from storage Device: UEFI only

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion Devices: Legacy only. (i did not try the options UEFI only or Ignore)

Update: Tried PCI-E also on UEFI continues to work.

After that saved and restarted and i could see the initial boot and Bios on DP screen. Otherwise i had to permanently switch to a DVI cable or put 1 monitor on HDMI and unplug other monitor.

Graphic card i use is 1070 MSI Geforce, Motherboard i have is Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero and with old setup where it was DP + DVI cables it worked fine.

New setup is DP - DP or HDMI - DP and thats where i started to see such issue

This was still an issue in 2023.... And Asura Deva's solution fixed it. I have a 9700k with a 1080ti Gigabyte Aorus Extreme and got my first DP monitor yesterday. Imagine my surprise when it didnt show any boot info. Had to boot from an HDMI monitor to get into BIOS.

THANK YOU!!!

P.S. I also created an account just to say thanks!

• 1 month later...

Registered to thank for solution...

ASUS B550M-PLUS WIFI II + 5600x + GTX 1080ti

CSM defaults to DISABLED (BIOS ver. 3002).

Had to enable it and set all options to UEFI only.

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue and just wanted to add my solution in case it helps anyone. After updating asus mb bios, system wouldn't post and display wouldn't output thru dgpu, only igpu. I had to boot up via HDMI and igpu first. Then HDMI via dgpu with no displayport. Then I reset my monitor and turned off monitor overclock. Then, I was able to get bios output with displayport. After turning monitor overclock back on, everything is working as expected. Seemed like monitor needed to be reset and some underlying communication between gpu and mb.