Please stop recommending pseudo water-cooling solutions all over the place...

Wolfur

A SSD or a GPU is a better purchase.

For someone who does watercooling as a hobby, watercooling is often much more "fun" than any perfromance increase from GPUs.

I prefer to buy £200 worth of watercooling equipment than to have an extra 7970. :S

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I guess this OC isnt enough for you?

image002.png

image003.png

No, it's not. That's only 1.325v - I wouldn't call that an overclock, I would call that a change in speed. Until you really start fiddling into voltages to really increase your temperature I'm not impressed. Throw an old i7 9xx on there with an OC and real bump in voltage and see how the air cooler performs. 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

For someone who does watercooling as a hobby, watercooling is often much more "fun" than any perfromance increase from GPUs.

I prefer to buy £200 worth of watercooling equipment than to have an extra 7970. :S

I think you would see a margin of performance increase with a water cooled GPU loop. With water over air you're at least able to create a stability in temperature allowing you to bump your voltages and core clock/memory clock speeds little by little without huge increases in your temperatures like you would on air. 

That's just my own personal experience. 

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

My problem is, if you went into Builds Planning section of this forum, you will find way too many people putting that freakin AIOs inside builds.

Let's say:

"I want 1000$ build".

The answer is:

"Get FX 83xx + 990fx mobo and AIO and overclock, it's cheaper".

No, it's not since you lose performance compared to i7, and:

Xeon e3-1230v3 + mobo, perhaps even with stock cooler

Would be cheaper...

Now, if they said:

"Get FX 83xx + Gigabyte 970A-UD3 + Evo 212 and overclock, it's cheaper" - then that statement would make sense. Might come out a bit cheaper (altho still worse performing) than i7.

See my problem? People recommend AIOs in many builds where instead those additional $$ could be put towards better parts like CPU, GPU and not COOLING solution...

The reason people are shoving out builds with closed loop systems is because they have the exact budget you are referencing. Show me a complete water cooling solution in a $1,000 system and what you will see is a computer that has sub-par components. 

The average price for CPU water cooling solution has been around $350-400 minimum using respectable water cooling components. 

The reason people are shoving out builds with closed loop systems is because they have the exact budget you are referencing. Show me a complete water cooling solution in a $1,000 system and what you will see is a computer that has sub-par components. 

The average price for CPU water cooling solution has been around $350-400 minimum using respectable water cooling components.

And the average price of a CPU air cooler has been 30-50$ minimum using respectable components.

See what i did there?

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

And the average price of a CPU air cooler has been 30-50$ minimum using respectable components.

See what i did there?

You're giving people shit for using AIO's and I'm explaining why they're using a AIO water cooling solution, over a custom water cooling loop. 

See what I did there?

You also didn't list a $1,000 system with a custom water cooling solution. I'm still waiting. 

Edited by BusinessRogue

You're giving people shit for using AIO's and I'm explaining why their using a AIO water cooling solution, over a custom water cooling loop. 

See what I did there?

You also didn't list a $1,000 system with a custom water cooling solution. I'm still waiting.

if you have budget of only 1000$ you should focus on CPU and GPU since watercooling cannot improve your system as much as a better GPU or CPU can.

I dont see any reason to get water cooling loop at all and especially not if you arent some extreme overclocker.

the idea behind this thread is:

why use AIO if there are cheaper air coolers which work as well and let you get much better GPU or something instead?

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

if you have budget of only 1000$ you should focus on CPU and GPU since watercooling cannot improve your system as much as a better GPU or CPU can.

I dont see any reason to get water cooling loop at all and especially not if you arent some extreme overclocker.

the idea behind this thread is:

why use AIO if there are cheaper air coolers which work as well and let you get much better GPU or something instead?

I agree with you that in most cases, and air cooler will suffice at which point you can take your sub ~$60 dollars you saved and put that towards a better CPU or GPU.

I purchased my H100i for $79 on amazon, and the Noctua is $70.00 - that's a ~$10 spread. I'm very confident that the H100i is and can out perform an air cooler on an over clock that requires voltage increases (<- I also wouldn't call this an extreme overclock situation either, considering 5.0GHz anymore is sub-par what most real over clockers' are achieving on current CPU's).

So,someone deciding between a 7870 or a R9 280 or even a 290X should go with the lesser GPU just to add watercooling? :huh:

Not a hard choice,hardware wins.

You are one person,not a community,your choice is your choice.

I build a rig to the spec i want then look to watercooling,its a practical thing,GPU changes mean new blocks.....get the best you can then watercool it.

This is my hobby also...more of an obssession really,I have invested a lot of time and effort in testing,application and theory and I have spent waaaaaay in excess of £200...the SR2 alone was over £800 in watercooling alone...for me it was money well spent but im not naive to think that is for anyone to commit that kind of money into anything like that.

Sensible choices early in a build in regards to budgeting will reap rewards later.

Just my 2c

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nepton-280l-tundra-td02-water3.0-pro-reserator3-max,3607-13.html

Nuff said?

The proof why we shouldn't be recommending all-in-one crappy 'water cooler wannabes'.

Never have been a fan of them but this just makes them look REALLY crappy value and you guys too often just PUSH IT into as many systems (Build planning section of forums) as you can, like if it was some godlike solution.

Air coolers for the win. If you wanna water-cool, you have to do a custom loop with powerful pump and all that shizz.

Thoughts? :)

I like my watercooling setup and i would recommend it to anybody. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

I don't want to drop $200-400 just to cool my CPU.

Swiftech H320 is $170 US, triple rad AIO :P

Most pumps also have the tach wire for exactly the same function. I posted this not long ago....im glad you saw it.

Where would you get this replacement within an hour?

If you contact any kit manu with a busted pump or whatever,they only replace that part,no need to send the whole kit back anyway so im not sure where you are going with that.

I am not so sure that the cheaper pumps have that tach wire.

Well you would send it off and use your stock/spare cooler in the meantime.

But draining a loop is way more effort than removing a AIO. Most people who use the H100i aren't looking to spend hours replacing thier broken wc pump.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

So,someone deciding between a 7870 or a R9 280 or even a 290X should go with the lesser GPU just to add watercooling? :huh:

Ah, I may have accidentally assumed we are talking about someone with a 7970 or equivalent (, hence my "extra 7970", ) that has a desicion between crossfire/SLI and watercooling.

Ah, I may have accidentally assumed we are talking about someone with a 7970 or equivalent (, hence my "extra 7970", ) that has a desicion between crossfire/SLI and watercooling.

Well, I'm going with a lesser GPU just for watercooling. course thats a size limitation only :P

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I would consider a full custom loop if I could get a good deal with EKWB as they're only 20 km from where I live.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

See my problem? People recommend AIOs in many builds where instead those additional $$ could be put towards better parts like CPU, GPU and not COOLING solution...

If someone posts specifically in the watercooling sub-forum about a "lower budget" build, the watercooling sub-forum will recommend AIOs.

If they post in the New Builds/Planning sub-forum, I agree with you: a tighter budget should focus first on quality components, then cooling.

It actually bugs me when someone in here replies with, "Stay out of the watercooling section."

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

I am not so sure that the cheaper pumps have that tach wire.

Well you would send it off and use your stock/spare cooler in the meantime.

But draining a loop is way more effort than removing a AIO. Most people who use the H100i aren't looking to spend hours replacing thier broken wc pump.

Well,they do...I have a Jingway sitting right here.

393691d1300874547-kleine-pumpe-mit-moegl

Not my pic tho.

The XSPC kit does not have  RPM wire sadly.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

If someone posts specifically in the watercooling sub-forum about a "lower budget" build, the watercooling sub-forum will recommend AIOs.

Not true. We usually make them consider/recommend air cooling if they want anything lower than the the H100i.

No one here has ever replied "Stay out of the watercooling section." afaik. If you see a post like that you should contact a moderator or report it.

Not true. We usually make them consider/recommend air cooling if they want anything lower than the the H100i.

No one here has ever replied "Stay out of the watercooling section." afaik. If you see a post like that you should contact a moderator or report it.

I didn't mean it literally, but I've seen quite a few posts that sound like, "Why bother?" or "Why are you watercooling that?" and such.

Of course, if someone has a set budget that they don't want to go over or settle for less than average components, I do understand recommending the air cooling path.

Build Logs

I didn't mean it literally, but I've seen quite a few posts that sound like, "Why bother?" or "Why are you watercooling that?" and such.

Of course, if someone has a set budget that they don't want to go over or settle for less than average components, I do understand recommending the air cooling path.

Are you saying that recommending water cooling FX 6300 makes sense?

For low end GPUs an appropriate response would be; "why bother" and most of the time the lower end GPUs don't even have full waterblocks out for them for that reason. Upgrading your GPU should happen before watercooling it to avoid having to buy a second waterblock in the future.

Are you saying that recommending water cooling FX 6300 makes sense?

For low end GPUs an appropriate response would be; "why bother" and most of the time the lower end GPUs don't even have full waterblocks out for them for that reason. Upgrading your GPU should happen before watercooling it to avoid having to buy a second waterblock in the future.

Waterblock compatibility could be an issue on it's own, but taking the FX 6300 example into consideration; if someone wanted to get into watercooling with that, would you recommend they buy an AIO? Or would you question them to make sense out of it and then recommend saving up for a new CPU + motherboard + H100i?

I think that most people here watercool for the sake of watercooling, or because it's fun, or because it looks nice. Even the two stickied threads at the top explain how watercooling is expensive and many times "not worth it" so it's kind of redundant to ask if watercooling the FX 6300 or anything makes sense.

Waterblock compatibility aside, this is what irks me.

You might as well sticky a new thread that says, "Buy only top-end gear + H100i/custom loop, otherwise see: Air Cooling."

Build Logs

Waterblock compatibility could be an issue on it's own, but taking the FX 6300 example into consideration; if someone wanted to get into watercooling with that, would you recommend they buy an AIO? Or would you question them to make sense out of it and then recommend saving up for a new CPU + motherboard + H100i?

I think that most people here watercool for the sake of watercooling, or because it's fun, or because it looks nice.

• If they want a H100i then I would say "Go for it." They can always re-use it in another build in the future when they upgrade thier CPU.
  • You're missing out lowertemps/perfromance and how quiet watercooling can be but yes. Those 5 things sum up why people watercool.

• If they want a H100i then I would say "Go for it." They can always re-use it in another build in the future when they upgrade thier CPU.
  • You're missing out lowertemps/perfromance and how quiet watercooling can be but yes. Those 5 things sum up why people watercool

Thanks for clarifying. I've just been scrolling through these threads recently and I see a lot of "why bother/not worth it" responses with little to no explanation and it's bothered me/prevented me from posting here often (since the usual answer is already "H100i/air cool").

It makes this sub-forum feel a bit stagnant without the occasional troubleshooting/fan orienting/loop positioning threads. :/

Build Logs

I don't want to drop $200-400 just to cool my CPU.

Talking about a full custom loop

Lol if my custom loop only costed anywhere near this then i'd have a much fatter wallet atm!!

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |