Is it worth overclocking my i5-6400?

So I have my build http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/fPtqRG and I downgraded my 6500 to 6400 so I could overclock it to get more bang for my buck. The only thing now, is it worth it to overclock my 6400, I know there are some trade offs like less 'lifetime' more heat etc., you-know the normal stuff (I don'think I have a good fan setup for overclocking, but I am not prepared to pay for a water cooler). But is there anything bad in overclocking my non-k cpu using the base-clock overclock method. I've dappled around a bit but I want to be fully prepared for the consequences I am going to have in order to get a better deal as the 6400 is way cheaper than the 6500, in my country New Zealand. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, NeoSk11zle said:

So I have my build http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/fPtqRG and I downgraded my 6500 to 6400 so I could overclock it to get more bang for my buck. The only thing now, is it worth it to overclock my 6400, I know there are some trade offs like less 'lifetime' more heat etc., you-know the normal stuff (I don'think I have a good fan setup for overclocking, but I am not prepared to pay for a water cooler). But is there anything bad in overclocking my non-k cpu using the base-clock overclock method. I've dappled around a bit but I want to be fully prepared for the consequences I am going to have in order to get a better deal as the 6400 is way cheaper than the 6500, in my country New Zealand. Thanks. 

Just go for it! Monitor your temps and voltages, there is a great guide out there by Paul's Hardware.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Just now, arnavvr said:

Just go for it! Monitor your temps and voltages, there is a great guide out there by Paul's Hardware.

See the thing is that this method I have never tried before. Could you link the video on how to do the overclocking non-k cpu vid. Thanks.

Just now, NeoSk11zle said:

See the thing is that this method I have never tried before. Could you link the video on how to do the overclocking non-k cpu vid. Thanks.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1 minute ago, NeoSk11zle said:

I believe you can no longer overclock the no k model i5s. Intel got on that pretty fast when they realize people were doing that.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

I believe you can no longer overclock the no k model i5s. Intel got on that pretty fast when they realize people were doing that.

Yeah so I saw the annotation about that on the vid. But I heard Science Studio talk about it being possible. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You still can, but it requires BIOS modification now.

5 minutes ago, arnavvr said:

I disagree. Having the CPU overclocked will not benefit you in games more than 1-2 fps. OC-ing CPU is only worth it, when you are doing CPU bound rendering.

Just now, arnavvr said:

You still can, but it requires BIOS modification now.

Wait wut. Does my mobo support this. 

1 minute ago, thewipyk said:

I disagree. Having the CPU overclocked will not benefit you in games more than 1-2 fps. OC-ing CPU is only worth it, when you are doing CPU bound rendering.

1-2 framesssssssssssssssssssssss! are you serious.?

6 minutes ago, NeoSk11zle said:

On cities skylines you might get 4-5. Mightbe more, depending on the OC, but I highly doubt you can efficiently OC a non-K processor. 

EDIT: In summary, I think you are better off with the 6500. Just look at it: 3.2 vs 2.7. You won't be able to OC your 2.7Ghz 6400 over the 3.2 of the 6500.... Not to mention turbo boost. So buy the 6500.

18 minutes ago, NeoSk11zle said:

I downgraded my 6500 to 6400 so I could overclock it to get more bang for my buck

really really really bad move

you can't overclock non K CPUs anymore

you can if you buy some very specific ASRock Hyper motherboards :

7 minutes ago, NeoSk11zle said:

It depends on what game you are playing. If FPS or non-CPU bound games, only about 5 fps improvement at best. If playing open world games, 10+ fps is possible. But I still wouldn't recommend overclocking a locked CPU. 

Overclocking locked Intel CPUs also results in:

1. You lose your iGPU.

2. You lose your CPU core thermal sensors.

3. L1 cache speed is reduced by 75%.

4. You lose C-states.

5. AVX instruction set gets disabled.

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

I just realized that you're in NZ and those prices are pricey... I'll let you know if I find anything. But the i5-6500 upgrade cost from i5-6400 is not that much more different than in the US.

What I would add is that if you are making this for gaming only, you might want to consider an older platform that doesn't have as expensive a motherboard and ram.

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

you can't overclock non K CPUs anymore

you can if you buy some very specific ASRock Hyper motherboards :

You can still do it just fine. So long as you have a compatible Z170 board (and the proper BIOS), it's still as much of a thing today as it was when first announced.

Which is another way to say it's not worth it. Too many downsides imo. If you really want to OC, just get a proper CPU to do the job. Or spend your time OCing RAM< which will give almost as much of a benefit without any downsides.

7 hours ago, arnavvr said:

but it requires BIOS modification now.

That was always the case...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

That was always the case...

not true

it used to be possible to OC via BLK until Intel forced every mobo manufacturer to update the BIOS

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not true

it used to be possible to OC via BLK until Intel forced every mobo manufacturer to update the BIOS

It was never possible to OC via BCLK. Then mobo manufacturers came up with special Bios that allowed to do so, if you updated to those. Then Intel requested those Bios to be taken down (though they are still available on other sites).

Regardless, you always needed to do a BIOS swap to be able to do it. And you still need to do so nowadays.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

7 hours ago, NeoSk11zle said:

and I downgraded my 6500 to 6400 so I could overclock it to get more bang for my buck.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is an i5-6400 any more able to overclock than the 6500? Both are locked, and as far as I know both can overclock/could once be overclocked the same workarounds.

6 minutes ago, typographie said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is an i5-6400 any more able to overclock than the 6500? Both are locked, and as far as I know both can overclock/could once be overclocked the same workarounds.

I think he meant going with a cheaper 6400 to invest the money onto a cooler / mobo.

16 hours ago, Imakuni said:

I think he meant going with a cheaper 6400 to invest the money onto a cooler / mobo.

Yeah, because I can overclock my cpu and get it cheaper!

20 hours ago, NeoSk11zle said:

Yeah, because I can overclock my cpu and get it cheaper!

tbh the 6500 is a good cpu and doesnt really need to be overclocked to do well in most games