Adblock plus sells adspace

itechy21
Go to solution Solved by PenPoint,
1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

why is it in korean

Cuz I'm Korean, and google knows it. Change end of the link 'hl=ko' to 'hl=en'. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

46 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

I have nothing against ads, I have everything against intrusive ads. Adblock is disabled on youtube for example.

like the ads on Linustechtips.com and horriblesubs.com are just simple picture ads and theirs is only like 1 or 2 of them per page.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Like, I'm all for having advertisements be something other than horrible steaming piles of shit, but are they in some way having the new replacement ads still support the sites? Otherwise it's just... really scummy imo.

Can o worms for sure, but on the other hand adds are needed to keep stuff running. But yeah are they also going to check them for mallware cause that is to me a far greater issue.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

16 hours ago, dyent10 said:

great business strategy. elminate most ads on the internet, then start selling ad space. 

something tells me the people who made adblock used to be a drug cartel.

Yeah. 

Use a brick to break someone's window. Then knock on their door asking whether they want to repair it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

AdBlock won't intercept ads and replace them with their own.

Give it a few years.....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Blocking ads it's acceptable. Replacing ads it's at best a legal quagmire I fully expect them to be sued out of fucking existence so hard it will make Hulk Hogan proud.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No no no no... That's not what is going on.

AdBlock won't intercept ads and replace them with their own. They are making a service that websites can choose to use instead of other ad providers such as AdWords.

So we are just getting more options.

1) Websites can keep using their current ad service and nothing will change.

2) Websites can choose to replace their current ad service with AdBlock's new one, and "non-intrusive ads" will be displayed on their website, and those ads will be displayed (by default at least) to AdBlock Plus users.

If a website can use both 1 and 2 simultaneously (I see no reason why this can't happen) then advertisers actually have a VERY strong case for ad replacement which just can't be legal. It doesn't matters if adblock plus doesn't sets out to do just that if their system allows it, they're on the hook for it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Blocking ads it's acceptable. Replacing ads it's at best a legal quagmire I fully expect them to be sued out of fucking existence so hard it will make Hulk Hogan proud.

Why would it be illegal?

Again, this is not the addon doing anything. What they are doing is offering an ad service that website owners can choose to use instead of their current ad providers.

So instead of adding <AdProviderGoogle> in the HTML code of their website, they would put in <AdBlockAdProvider> instead.

It seems like people think this is the addon intercepting ads and then injecting its own, which is not at all what is going to happen (the way I read it).

This is win-win for everyone except the people who are both ignorant enough to not find the check box to disable it, and simultaneously hates all ads no matter what (even static text ones clearly labelled ad, and pushed to the side of the website).

This is a huge step in the right direction to get rid of all the annoying ads which are causing people to get AdBlockers to begin with.

7 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

If a website can use both 1 and 2 simultaneously (I see no reason why this can't happen) then advertisers actually have a VERY strong case for ad replacement which just can't be legal. It doesn't matters if adblock plus doesn't sets out to do just that if their system allows it, they're on the hook for it.

I don't understand what you mean.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why would it be illegal?

Again, this is not the addon doing anything. What they are doing is offering an ad service that website owners can choose to use instead of their current ad providers.

So instead of adding <AdProviderGoogle> in the HTML code of their website, they would put in <AdBlockAdProvider> instead.

It seems like people think this is the addon intercepting ads and then injecting its own, which is not at all what is going to happen (the way I read it).

This is win-win for everyone except the people who are both ignorant enough to not find the check box to disable it, and simultaneously hates all ads no matter what (even static text ones clearly labelled ad, and pushed to the side of the website).

This is a huge step in the right direction to get rid of all the annoying ads which are causing people to get AdBlockers to begin with.

Remember the morron in a hurry principle?

I think it's safe to say it applies here: if a moron in a hurry would believe he has to choose one or the other and Adblock plus is perceived to undercut other add merchants, they'll get sued up the ass.

So pragmatically: they'll get sued up the ass.

If a website owner can code his website to use both option 1) Normal ads or 2) Adblock aproved Ads and decides to go "If adblock detected then adblock ads, else normal ads" on his code, this can easily be construed as Adblock plus actively trying to undermine competition and control the ads that don't belong to them.

The website ultimately decides who he uses to deliver ads. But if a case can be made that a website uses adblock instead of a competitor because adblock forces them (hint: they do not, but it will be alleged they do cause otherwise no other ads play) then they will say that it goes beyond blocking ads and it basically becomes a racket: pay adblock to be on their white list otherwise nobody will see your ads.

You think Google is not gonna have a problem with that? Of course they will go after this, hard.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

You think Google is not gonna have a problem with that? Of course they will go after this, hard.

Yep...