How can I get internet up to a room on the 3rd floor?

EdChamberlain
19 minutes ago, Inrix said:

@marshmallowbam@Husin@EdChamberlain I had two POE 200mbit adapters lying around so I figured I would do a test on best and worst case scenario and then a final on direct lan... Hope it helps! xD

i just cried seeing your speed my internet speed dosnt even go 20Mb

3 minutes ago, Husin said:

i just cried seeing your speed my internet speed dosnt even go 20Mb

keep in mind that 150(Mega Bits Per Second *Mbps*) is roughly about 12-15(Mega Bytes Per Second *Mb's*) i forget what the actual conversion is for the two

Brandon Marsh

7 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

keep in mind that 150(Mega Bits Per Second *Mbps*) is roughly about 12-15(Mega Bytes Per Second *Mb's*) i forget what the actual conversion is for the two

8Mb/s = 1MB/s

Multiplier of 8 to go from Megabits to Megabytes

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

8Mb/s = 1MB/s

Multiplier of 8 to go from Megabits to Megabytes

thank you for that.. i remember i did the math about a year ago when i got my "turbo charged internet connection"...... such bull shit. just give me a good connection and stop creating some BS name to make you sound better lmao

Brandon Marsh

Just now, marshmallowbam said:

thank you for that.. i remember i did the math about a year ago when i got my "turbo charged internet connection"...... such bull shit. just give me a good connection and stop creating some BS name to make you sound better lmao

Yah, what always annoys me is the lack of standards applications use to display it which just adds to the confusion. You'll see one application display it in MB/s and then another in Mb/s and people always wonder why the average consumer can never get the two right.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Yah, what always annoys me is the lack of standards applications use to display it which just adds to the confusion. You'll see one application display it in MB/s and then another in Mb/s and people always wonder why the average consumer can never get the two right.

well of course ISP's are going to use Mbps cause 150 sounds a hell of a lot faster then 12, and programs like steam or Origin only use the different application of it dependant on whether its under or over a Mb, i just wish ISP's would stop this marketing scam and actually give people 150mb/s now that would be sweet

Brandon Marsh

44 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

my buddy is also using cat 7 cables to do his with and also a gigabit ethernet switch. not sure how much but that could also be playing a roll in the whole scenario.

Other tests are processing now, also using Full Cat6 and the cable I was using to the internet goes direct to the modem so nothing but the POE adapters would effect it :), plus in the next tests I did file speed which show this quite well :) Will link when up

*eop (Ethernet over power)

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

21 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

i know thats why i use Mb instade of MB theres a diffrent keep in mind

53 minutes ago, Inrix said:

@marshmallowbam@Husin@EdChamberlain I had two POE 200mbit adapters lying around so I figured I would do a test on best and worst case scenario and then a final on direct lan... Hope it helps! xD

you said POE but that is the exact oposite of what you mean, POE is power over ethernet. a dc over a ethernet cable. while this is about ethernet over powerline. just wanted to clear that up because otherwise this can get very confusing.

Just now, tlink said:

you said POE but that is the exact oposite of what you mean, POE is power over ethernet. a dc over a ethernet cable. while this is about ethernet over powerline. just wanted to clear that up because otherwise this can get very confusing.

Derp :) Will change that now...

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

@Husin@marshmallowbam@EdChamberlain New tests are up :) These have a little more detail and also file transfer speeds... If you have any other ideas or questions Ill be happy to look into them xD

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

13 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Derp :) Will change that now...

yeah i think i said POE too.... oops lmao

Brandon Marsh

11 minutes ago, Inrix said:

@Husin@marshmallowbam@EdChamberlain New tests are up :) These have a little more detail and also file transfer speeds... If you have any other ideas or questions Ill be happy to look into them xD

yeah... im not really sure whats going on. Your getting half speeds accross the house but my buddy was only losing about 25% of his connection... its gotta be betwen the gigabit switch, the cat 7 cables, or the EOP itself... it may vary depending upon the manufacturer, im not very sure which ones he has though.

Brandon Marsh

7 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

yeah... im not really sure whats going on. Your getting half speeds accross the house but my buddy was only losing about 25% of his connection... its gotta be betwen the gigabit switch, the cat 7 cables, or the EOP itself... it may vary depending upon the manufacturer, im not very sure which ones he has though.

It wont be the switch hands down since the lan test is using the same stuff and getting full 100MB/s transfer speeds... Its just the EOP, their supposedly 200mb/s ones but obviously not and decent gigabit ones get quite expensive... Also I just realized Iv been misreading your stuff about your friends switch thinking you said 10 gigabit :) I'm using a gigabit switch as well so that rules out that, sides you can see gigabit transfer speeds in the last file test...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

8 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

Oh and as a side note from the comment above, its also def not the cable since I use that in conjunction with my rooms switch (The "internet cable" goes into another switch in my room which I use for my main pc, laptop and whatever else) and get full gigabit speeds.

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

If the OP has a coax connection, id consider looking in to Moca. Better speeds, more reliable but more expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

27 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If the OP has a coax connection, id consider looking in to Moca. Better speeds, more reliable but more expensive. 

Yeah, Moca 2.0 can transfer at near Gigabit speeds and still retains relatively low latency.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.