How can I get internet up to a room on the 3rd floor?

EdChamberlain

I live in a rental house and the router sits on the ground floor, while my bedroom is up on the third floor! 

Now I game on my PC and stream a lot of netflix so whats the best way to get an internet connection to my PC? Bearing in mind this is a rental house so no drilling allowed!

Ive looked at power line but am cautious because they could be a huge bottleneck, wireless NIC is an option but not ideal. Theres no vents or anything to feed ethernet cables through either.

you can try making a directional antenna (can be very cheap), and then a wifi repeater that spreads the signal into your room.

Just now, tlink said:

you can try making a directional antenna (can be very cheap), and then a wifi repeater that spreads the signal into your room.

Would that not add a whole load of latency though? Also theres two whole floors between the router and my room!

Do you have a link to a directional antenna?

Powerline seems to be your best bet, If you look at the newer Powerline adapters, they are capable of transferring data really fast between them, so I don't think they'd bottleneck. 

3 minutes ago, Sayrian said:

Powerline seems to be your best bet, If you look at the newer Powerline adapters, they are capable of transferring data really fast between them, so I don't think they'd bottleneck. 

Thats good to hear, Ill see if I can get some form amazon and then return if they're not up to scratch.

Do you know if they add any significant latency? Ive seen they come in different speeds (AV200, 300, 500, 600, 1000, 1200). My internet in is only 56Mbps so which 'speed' would you recommend?

If you can get a cable their without intruding on stuff then by all means go that way unless its impossible, even if you can have the cable go outside... If your smart their are plenty of ways to secure cables without mounting them into the wall.

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

15 minutes ago, EdChamberlain said:

Thats good to hear, Ill see if I can get some form amazon and then return if they're not up to scratch.

Do you know if they add any significant latency? Ive seen they come in different speeds (AV200, 300, 500, 600, 1000, 1200). My internet in is only 56Mbps so which 'speed' would you recommend?

If you do use power line, DONT buy anything under 100$ as those will probably give you 1s + latency (yes that is seconds)... I cant speak for the better ones but I know how bad cheaper ones can be... Also in terms of speed, unless your moving loads of files over the network dont bother with anything above your internet speed, just try find ones with the lowest latency possible as that's the most important thing for gaming, and pretty much anything will give you speeds faster than what your internet can achieve... 

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

1 minute ago, Husin said:

why not use utp its cheap. correct me if im wrong

utp?

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

Just now, Husin said:

Ethernet

Ah k Yea, Agree Completely :) Though @EdChamberlain might not be able to run cable... But if you can DO!

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

I have a buddy of mine that uses EOP in a house that was made in the 40's with horrible wiring in the house itself. He can generally pull about a 3rd of his total Mbps over it. if anything just get one and plug it into a router on the 3rd floor. bam- you have wifi on your floor with a pretty good internet connection and its as easy as just plugging it in to the router then into the adapter, plugging up the other adapter then plug it into the router upstairs into the data slot (not the computer ethernet slots) and then just set up your router.

Brandon Marsh

1 hour ago, marshmallowbam said:

I have a buddy of mine that uses EOP in a house that was made in the 40's with horrible wiring in the house itself. He can generally pull about a 3rd of his total Mbps over it. if anything just get one and plug it into a router on the 3rd floor. bam- you have wifi on your floor with a pretty good internet connection and its as easy as just plugging it in to the router then into the adapter, plugging up the other adapter then plug it into the router upstairs into the data slot (not the computer ethernet slots) and then just set up your router.

Yea but thats still pretty bad speeds, not to mention the ping.. I would always say go with POE as a last resort

*eop (Ethernet over power)

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

46 minutes ago, EdChamberlain said:

Would that not add a whole load of latency though? Also theres two whole floors between the router and my room!

Do you have a link to a directional antenna?

that depends on the gear, and you can make your own directional antenna if you just use a normal wifi transmitter and put a pringles can around it with the open side towards where the receiving end is. or an empty tin can, or a coke can. lots of things work and you can try it out cheaply this way. 

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Yagi-directional-Antenna-802-11n-2200mW/product-reviews/B003LLS5JI/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0

this is quite an expensive one but it would definitly work. 

edit: if you get one get an alfa one, they are a very well known brand. you can even get cheap ripoffs from aliexpress that are very close in performance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YHYIT0/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Yea but thats still pretty bad speeds, not to mention the ping.. I would always say go with POE as a last resort

his ping sits usually about at 60-90 and still gets an average of 6-10 mb/s with downloading and streaming. I mean he can stream 4k videos on youtube without an issue 99% of the time.

Brandon Marsh

21 minutes ago, Inrix said:

If you can get a cable their without intruding on stuff then by all means go that way unless its impossible, even if you can have the cable go outside... If your smart their are plenty of ways to secure cables without mounting them into the wall.

i agree with this guy i live in a second floor (my grand parents house) they dont let me drill i put the ethernet cable out side (a long one) and it work just fine great actually

2 minutes ago, Husin said:

i agree with this guy i live in a second floor (my grand parents house) they dont let me drill i put the ethernet cable out side (a long one) and it work just fine great actually

I agree with you on that one also. specially since cables are starting to get really cheap, at least in the U.S. here you can pick up a 50ft. cat 6 for about 30$. thats whats actually running to my computer now atm.

Brandon Marsh

1 hour ago, marshmallowbam said:

I agree with you on that one also. specially since cables are starting to get really cheap, at least in the U.S. here you can pick up a 50ft. cat 6 for about 30$. thats whats actually running to my computer now atm.

@marshmallowbam@Husin@EdChamberlain I had two POE 200mbit adapters lying around so I figured I would do a test on best and worst case scenario and then a final on direct lan... Hope it helps! xD

*eop (Ethernet over power)

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

3 minutes ago, Inrix said:

@marshmallowbam@Husin@EdChamberlain I had two POE 200mbit adapters lying around so I figured I would do a test on best and worst case scenario and then a final on direct lan... Hope it helps! xD

well your also supposed to plug them directly into a wall socket for the best connection, its not "recommended" to run them on extension cords and power bricks. being as you lose alot of your connection speed doing so.

Brandon Marsh

Just now, marshmallowbam said:

well your also supposed to plug them directly into a wall socket for the best connection, its not "recommended" to run them on extension cords and power bricks. being as you lose alot of your connection speed doing so.

Yea but still without changing anything and just moving to the other side of the house the connection speed is 1/2... And thats not even moving floors, But again depends on the senario its in...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

3 minutes ago, marshmallowbam said:

You got me curious though so Ima test if wall to wall makes a big difference :) 

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

3 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Yea but still without changing anything and just moving to the other side of the house the connection speed is 1/2... And thats not even moving floors, But again depends on the senario its in...

Nope... Even using two wall sockets in the same room I'm now getting 12ms and only 60down... latency probably flickers around 20ms which is why that's changed but the speed is the same... And this is using supposed 200mbit ones...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

4 minutes ago, Inrix said:

well it also depends on the wiring in the house. old wiring is more suseptable to interference then newer wiring. like the capasitors in your PSU going bad after old age type deal, and actually i would like to see a video in the difference between EXT cord and direct wall socket. make sure to post a link to it in my profile if you wouldnt mind sir.

Brandon Marsh

1 minute ago, marshmallowbam said:

well it also depends on the wiring in the house. old wiring is more suseptable to interference then newer wiring. like the capasitors in your PSU going bad after old age type deal, and actually i would like to see a video in the difference between EXT cord and direct wall socket. make sure to post a link to it in my profile if you wouldnt mind sir.

Sure :) And the building Im in is a relatively new apartment so wiring stuff shouldn't be a problem...

~ Main Rig ~

~ Accessories ~

~ Servers ~

1 minute ago, Inrix said:

Nope... Even using two wall sockets in the same room I'm now getting 12ms and only 60down... latency probably flickers around 20ms which is why that's changed but the speed is the same... And this is using supposed 200mbit ones...

my buddy is also using cat 7 cables to do his with and also a gigabit ethernet switch. not sure how much but that could also be playing a roll in the whole scenario.

Brandon Marsh