High(er)-end WCG and gaming PC

Bunkie

I currently have a PC using an i7-4770K with a z87 motherboard, 16gb of ram, GTX 780, and a few solid state drives.  It stays on 24/7 working on World Community Grid and is also used for gaming.  I am wanting to give this PC to my daughter and build a new one for myself.

So the question is:

Which of the newest processors would be best given the same requirements?  Looking at more cores potentially.  6-8.

Sorry KSores, I had hit "Enter" and left it without a question temporarily.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, KSores said:

whats the question?

anyway you cant go wrong with the 6700k that thing is very powerfull

If he's canadian, the volatility of the dollar makes buying expensive things like playing the stock market. If you're on a budget and are canadian, you will have to wait till boxing day

Just now, gtx1060=value said:

If he's canadian, the volatility of the dollar makes buying expensive things like playing the stock market. If you're on a budget and are canadian, you will have to wait till boxing day

black Friday in canada is actually really good too

i got a vg248qe (144hz monitor) for 250 it is usually around 400 also got a blue yeti for $90

I was thinking along the lines of a 5820K or 6800K.  Not sure if the extra .2gz is worth looking at on the 6850K though.

Or, should I just save my money a while longer and get a 5960X?  Lower clock speed so not as great at crunching, per core, but more cores.

54 minutes ago, Bunkie said:

I was thinking along the lines of a 5820K or 6800K.  Not sure if the extra .2gz is worth looking at on the 6850K though.

Or, should I just save my money a while longer and get a 5960X?  Lower clock speed so not as great at crunching, per core, but more cores.

Or a Xeon, although again you have the lower clock speeds.

1 hour ago, Bunkie said:

I currently have a PC using an i7-4770K with a z87 motherboard, 16gb of ram, GTX 780, and a few solid state drives.  It stays on 24/7 working on World Community Grid and is also used for gaming.  I am wanting to give this PC to my daughter and build a new one for myself.

So the question is:

Which of the newest processors would be best given the same requirements?  Looking at more cores potentially.  6-8.

2 things we need from you...

What country are you from? We need to know the exact country currency to assist in our computer build for you.

What is your MAXIMUM budget on this computer build?

Once we get the answers, we can help you.

Buzzsaw - I'm Buzzsaw and you're not.

CPU -- Intel Core i7 7740X @ 4.30GHz Kaby Lake 14nm Technology * RAM -- 16.0 GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-16-16-35)
Motherboard -- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF X299 MARK 2 (LGA 2066 R4) * 
Graphics -- SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz) -- 4096 MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series 
Storage -- 223 GB SanDisk Ultra II 240GB (SSD) -- 256 GB Crucial_CT275MX300SSD1 (SSD) -- 931 GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 (SATA) -- 2794 GB BUFFALO External HDD USB Device
Optical Drives -- ASUS DRW-24B1ST * Audio -- Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm from the U.S and would consider ~ $500-$600ish as a general max for processor with a total max of $2500-$3000.  I don't NEED to spend that much but don't mind paying for performance.

Im interested in your opinions on price/gain with a fairly heavy emphasis on WCG.  The obvious answer would be an extreme processor but would that be best on the price/gain scale?