good laptops to mod/ exchange parts

so i have this, friend, who has a tech business who makes pc's on commission.  So this "friend" ( who is definitely not me) just got a new commission, for a laptop instead of a desktop. My friend knowing that he cant build a laptop, decides to buy a cheap pre-built laptop and simply exchange its internals for better ones (ex, exchanging the hdd for an ssd, more ram, or getting a better processor ). My friend needs help, he needs an old laptop that wont break the bank (50- 80$ range) , that's parts are not soldered, and something that's new enough to be viable for windows 10.

Can anybody recommend a laptop to my friend that fits the bill?

My friend will be very appreciative :)

Any type of used business laptop would work. That price range is a bit low. I got my Dell E6400 for $80 from craigslist, but that was a low ball.  This website is very useful in helping pick out something. You can click on the 3 pictures and it will take you to a page that explains each used laptop and what prices to expect. Read it through, there's a lot of information about each one. Just remember that if the processor were to be replaced, it probably means replacing the whole motherboard as most are soldered in I believe. 

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

simple things, classwork, typing, web browsing, possibly light gaming but nothing past cs go on medium settings. a general productivity kind of rig.

I have a K53E from Asus that's older but it's running windows 10, SSD really helped it, made it so much quicker. If you can find one for cheap enough they are definitely a viable option. The CPU isn't soldered in place, but I'm not sure about games performance, from what I've seen they aren't the best at that.

good try but its too expensive, averaging around 150$ used. the cheapest i found was 90$ and that was during a bid on ebay, good try though.

already did, thanks for trying to help. ill keep on looking and keep the topic open for further answers :)

On September 6, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Lumen15 said:

simple things, classwork, typing, web browsing, possibly light gaming but nothing past cs go on medium settings. a general productivity kind of rig.

Most laptops will handle all but the csgo, that will require at least intel hd 4000 graphics or some sort of dgpu assuming a 768p screen.

Really with laptops the hard drive is the only for sure component that can be upgraded, but if you get an old enough laptop then they might only have sata 3Gbps, with the cpu some lock certain cpus in the bios, or don't have the cooling power to keep the chips from thermal throttling. There is usually a ram limit that cannot be excedded on laptops it varies per laptop, and if you have one with a dgpu, older replacements even used are expensive and not worth it, and may have the same issues as with the cpu. 

Really laptops aren't worth upgrading past ram, and a ssd.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •