What can i upgrade in my build to make it better?

gaza.johnstone

t0IrEIR.jpg

Before I begin I'd like to add i am happy with my build, but as with anything, you always want moar! aha

So my build is the following:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Sapphire R9 390
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
HDD: Seagate Desktop SSHD 4TB
RAM: Team Team-Elite-1333 2x8GB
MBD: MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693)

Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower

For CPU Cooling im using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Within the case i have 2 200MM fans in the top 1 is the stock fan and the other is a Thermaltake CL-F015-PL20BL-A

I'm running everything on 3x Dell u2515h in Eyefinity mode (max res 5760x1080)

I wanna know what i can do to improve it - get more performance in simulation games.

PC Part Picker Link: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/LMqkcf

Thanks Guys :)

Edited by gaza.johnstone
picture with a less messy desk haha!

You can upgrade the CPU and maybe the GPU to something like a 1070 or a 1080 for them extra FPS :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Jump off the AMD train and get an i5 or i7 and you will get better performance. Now you could also wait and see how Zen ends up and get that CPU. The rest of the build is OK but obviously getting a GTX1080 or a GTX Titan XP will give you more performance that the R9 390. These are all optional things of course like you said. 

you should upgrade your desk to a non-messy one :P 

After that go intel, something like 6500k would be fine

to game or not to game, that`s the question

I was thinking about an intel option (i use the i7 4790k at work)

What MOBO would yous recommend for it though? as the 970 only supports AMD chipsets

@UnlimitedTMD - desk is clean now - thats an old photo haha! (imma change it actually!)

You should be good for  while I would wait a bit because zen coming out soon and hoping it give Intel a run for there money

Whatever you do upgrade I can take those old pesky parts off your hands and probably significantly upgrade me

2 minutes ago, UnlimitedTMD said:

you should upgrade your desk to a non-messy one :P 

After that go intel, something like 6500k would be fine

I agree clean that desk up! 

3 minutes ago, CatFishery said:

you should do something about that vape right there.....

what about the vape?

Just now, CatFishery said:

oh nothing

just noticed and how massy your desk was

yeah, was pretty messy - got a new one up now though :)

ultimately it depends on how much you are willing to spend, without a budget we can't go into specifics about where best to target your money.

9 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

ultimately it depends on how much you are willing to spend, without a budget we can't go into specifics about where best to target your money.

Well i think the best way to look at it is, im not a millionaire and it would be the matter of saving up for parts!

I think the 1st to address would be the CPU (in which case i'd need to replace the MOBO)

4 minutes ago, gaza.johnstone said:

Well i think the best way to look at it is, im not a millionaire and it would be the matter of saving up for parts!

I think the 1st to address would be the CPU (in which case i'd need to replace the MOBO)

OK, yeah, just remember CPU, will mean Motherboard and likely with it RAM since the new Intel MOBO's use DDR4, the SSD's and Hard Drives can stay through as many builds as you want (as long as they don't fail outright) then the next thing after the big CPU/Motherboard/RAM would go to the graphics card, to maximize FPS.

15 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

OK, yeah, just remember CPU, will mean Motherboard and likely with it RAM since the new Intel MOBO's use DDR4, the SSD's and Hard Drives can stay through as many builds as you want (as long as they don't fail outright) then the next thing after the big CPU/Motherboard/RAM would go to the graphics card, to maximize FPS.

In terms of the GPU i have, would upgrading give me miles better performance or just small steps?

46 minutes ago, gaza.johnstone said:

In terms of the GPU i have, would upgrading give me miles better performance or just small steps?

according to the benchmarks in this video

the GTX 1080 walks circles around the R9 390x (higher clocked version of the 390 as I understand it) with the 390x running typically between 40 and 60% the frame rates of the 1080 and does this while drawing LESS electricity but we've yet to see what AMD's high end GPU will be like so might be worth waiting on the GPU side as you'll want the newer CPU so as to not bottleneck these newer cards..

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

according to the benchmarks in this video

the GTX 1080 walks circles around the R9 390x (higher clocked version of the 390 as I understand it) with the 390x running typically between 40 and 60% the frame rates of the 1080 and does this while drawing LESS electricity but we've yet to see what AMD's high end GPU will be like so might be worth waiting on the GPU side as you'll want the newer CPU so as to not bottleneck these newer cards..

ahh! thank you - god these things move far to fast to keep up with haha!

Just now, gaza.johnstone said:

ahh! thank you - god these things move far to fast to keep up with haha!

that's why I typically just run what I have till it's not usable for what I want to do anymore, I'm mid build right now myself (first personal desktop build in over a decade, as I mainly use laptops nowadays), I've got the 6700k, H100i V2, Z170 MOBO, 16GB RAM and PSU (using an old 2.5" HDD to boot the system, that is a HUGE bottle neck) with my new M.2 SSD (went more expensive then I needed to just for the clean building of 2 less cables in the build) scheduled to arrive Thursday, Next step for me is finding my first new case since my original build in 2002, after that I will be looking at video cards but will probably hold off on that till early next year when I can buy the card and VR headset at the same time and for now the rig will be used for video encoding (hence the 6700k instead of a 6600k). My computer was literally at that point where NOTHING could be salvaged from the old build due to its age, not even the DVD Drive (since it was an old IDE drive).

18 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

that's why I typically just run what I have till it's not usable for what I want to do anymore, I'm mid build right now myself (first personal desktop build in over a decade, as I mainly use laptops nowadays), I've got the 6700k, H100i V2, Z170 MOBO, 16GB RAM and PSU (using an old 2.5" HDD to boot the system, that is a HUGE bottle neck) with my new M.2 SSD (went more expensive then I needed to just for the clean building of 2 less cables in the build) scheduled to arrive Thursday, Next step for me is finding my first new case since my original build in 2002, after that I will be looking at video cards but will probably hold off on that till early next year when I can buy the card and VR headset at the same time and for now the rig will be used for video encoding (hence the 6700k instead of a 6600k). My computer was literally at that point where NOTHING could be salvaged from the old build due to its age, not even the DVD Drive (since it was an old IDE drive).

haha thats madness! - and good point with the VR, i really wanna make my build VR ready, but i dont think the FX8350 is up to scratch for it, im sure the Sapphire R9 390 is though.

8 minutes ago, gaza.johnstone said:

haha thats madness! - and good point with the VR, i really wanna make my build VR ready, but i dont think the FX8350 is up to scratch for it, im sure the Sapphire R9 390 is though.

AMD says you can use both with the Rift headset, but the more powerful your PC the better your experience will be.

44 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

AMD says you can use both with the Rift headset, but the more powerful your PC the better your experience will be.

yeah  i defo think going with an i7 may be a good idea

Just done some looking into it and i think the following combo should go nicely:

i7-6700K and the Asus Z170 PRO GAMING Motherboard