Did you ever use a joystick (like a flight stick) for non flying games?

minibois

Just a minute ago I was watching a review for some flight stick and I remembered way back in the day I would play games with one of those (flight stick/joystick). Specifically a 2D platformer, because it was just better/easier to use than the keyboard.

Haven't used that joystick in AGES though (as it used one of those really old ports.. I think printers used that too) and was just wondering if anyone else ever used a joystick for not flying games? :D 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Just a minute ago I was watching a review for some flight stick and I remembered way back in the day I would play games with one of those (flight stick/joystick). Specifically a 2D platformer, because it was just better/easier to use than the keyboard.

Haven't used that joystick in AGES though (as it used one of those really old ports.. I think printers used that too) and was just wondering if anyone else ever used a joystick for not flying games? :D 

Does Atari count?

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

8 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Does Atari count?

Nah, that way I might as well count anyone who ever played a game in an arcade too.. and those claw machines..

I'm talking PC games, where the joystick was optional and the main peripherals were mouse and keyboard! 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, swordsman247 said:

Does Atari count?

duh I got over  12 hours clocked on the Atari

2 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Nah, that way I might as well count anyone who ever played a game in an arcade too.. and those claw machines..

I'm talking PC games, where the joystick was optional and the main peripherals were mouse and keyboard! 

Well I played lego racers with one in the early 2000's and a few other non-flying games mech ones mostly.

Just now, CatFishery said:

duh I got over  12 hours clocked on the Atari

It was the only game system I had from like 93-97 so... many hours.

I could see how you could use for the free to play game hawken if you really wanted to

Long ago I used to have this half joystick half keyboard thingy .. it didnt had all keyboard keys but there were quite a bit of them ... anyway. I used to play Quake 2 with it for some reason :D

I used to play the original Doom and Wolfenstein 3D with a crappy joystick. I eventually got a Thrustmaster Top Gun stick for TIE Fighter though. I loved that game and that joystick was amazing.